1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Is this a fancier version of the Redknapp era?

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by thfcsteff, 17 Sep 2020.

1. nayenezgani

nayenezgani Steve Carr

Son and Bergwijn had some really nice interchanges last night... If that can be developed with GLC and Tanguy feeding them balls, it'll be tasty. Ooh er matron.

Nice kittle flicks and backheels, felt improvised and organic. If Kane was on form it'd be even more promising.

Spur of the moment likes this.
  2. thfcsteff

thfcsteff Gary Stevens Staff Member

Apologies for missing that mate.

Moura was no secret TBF, and I think a few of us have been calling him out as a PS4 player for some time. Sonny is a more recent addition to my critical thinking in this regard, and Dele? That makes sense, except some street footballers are also smart players.

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  3. billyiddo

billyiddo David Ginola Staff Member

Maybe more AVB than Redknapp, although AVB was more possession based tbf

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  4. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Terry Dyson

Not my thoughts don’t forget but I do agree
    You need a base though to build from and we know Poch defended from the front
    With Jose he defends from the defence...
    there are changes that take time and date i say we have a lot of new blood to integrate too

JerusalemMan likes this.
  5. Raziel

Raziel Jimmy Neighbour

If Kane or Son was in form last night, that game would have been a training ground exercise. I think the comparisons to Poch, Redknapp make no sense yet

I'd assume our best 11 at the moment may look something like (assuming transfers are done) - Hugo, Reguilon, Toby, Sanchez, Doherty, PEH, Lo Celso, N'dombele, Son, Kane, Bale

Lo Celso and N'dombele completely change the way we play (but neither have had enough of a run in the team to set the style), PEH anchors the midfield and is new, Reguilon is a vastly different player from Davies and will change our game and the threat of Bale, Son and Kane on counters could be crazy.

Summary, it will probably take until December for us to understand if the above is our first 11, what style will we play and then how does it compare (and that's not even considering the rotation we will have to do in that time).

I still think Jose's endgame is closest to his Madrid counter attacking side vs, Poch's possession/press or Redknapp's "go run about a bit"

6. thfcsteff

thfcsteff Gary Stevens Staff Member

I am not comparing with Poch at all mate.

7. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Pedro Mendes

100%this.

Kane is definitely smart (we've seen this for England) and if he played with smarter players we'd see more of it from him. I think you often see frustration between the players for not passing or shooting when something a lot more productive/constructive was staring them in the face.

Son and Moura are very often on their own mission. Dele literally does dally, unless he's in that very niche position where it's not even passes but flicks and help-ons on instinct.

Lamela looks like he holds onto it too long but maybe that is because of the players we are talking about. It would be interesting seeing him play in a City side for example.

Bergwijn is exactly the kind of player we do need, as will Bale be. Good decision makers that know when to pass and when to go it alone.

La Celso and Ndombele are smart as well.

The bottom line is if your one dimensional and/or not a good decision maker, you're gonna need to be told what to do. And if attacking patterns are not Joses bag, we end up looking lost.

thfcsteff likes this.
  8. Baleforce

Baleforce Fanny Walden

I think Lamela and Bale will have it off.

9. ricky2tricky4city

More along the same lines here....

.and that winning goal is what we want to see....our players passing quicker than the opposition can think.

Bullet and thfcsteff like this.
  10. ricky2tricky4city

Where's the Partridge gif :)

You won't be jealous:D?

Baleforce likes this.
  11. Baleforce

Baleforce Fanny Walden

I like to watch

12. Bishop

Bishop Allan Nielsen

I agree with the general just of this although I don't think Lamela is an intelligent player at all. He pretty much always makes the wrong decision. He massively overrates his ability to keep the ball (poor), most times a quick pass would be the intelligent option and he does the opposite.

Kane is also no better than Son when it comes to seeing options when in and around the penalty box (outside of this he does demonstrate a great football brain). Neither one of them will pass to someone else unless there is pretty much is no way they can possibly get a shot on target.

13. awesome dawson

awesome dawson Jonathan Woodgate

From watching that All of Nothing series, i get the feeling Jose hasn't got the dressing room how he wants it. On a number of levels, squad atmosphere is fun, just not effective. Trying to change that needs time and personel change. Both are happening. This run of four away games in a eight days will focus us for the season. I actually think Mourinho will have us playing good football by letting the good players have the freedom to enjoy being with other such a talented squad.

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  14. JerusalemMan

JerusalemMan Justin Edinburgh

And now consider the (apparent) mindset of the additions
    Hojbjerg - seemingly very driven and demanding of teammates. Deemed a selfless player
    Hart - Has won things, been deliberately spoken of as bringing a mature approach and meteorology to the squad
    Doherty - Unsure on this one but his career progression doesn't speak of a puerile attitude to the game and the team. He's worked hard and progressed a lot to get to where he is.
    Bale - a winner. An example
    Reguilon - a young winner.

15. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Terry Dyson

He needs his own cnuts
    Once he has them with the talent at his disposal you would anticipate a genuine improvement
    I also think played will get better as they get nearer yo match fitness which their not near too currently

16. parklane1

parklane1 Gary Stevens

I have said it before and i am still of the same opinion about Son, he can be frustrating at times but he is a special player in a lot of ways. I believe that there are occasions when his feet move faster then his brain and that is when we see him lose control of just what he is doing.

thfcsteff likes this.
  17. parklane1

parklane1 Gary Stevens

We had a team full of good players but some of them did not have the mental strength and grit in certain games. I agree with you that the players he is/ will bring in will have that metal toughness and if/when he completes that i expect we will be a lot harder to beat.

glasgowspur and Bedfordspurs like this.
  18. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Terry Dyson

Bergwein is Dutch and their coaches so well around how to play it shows
    I agree though we have some one dimensional players, Moura being a classic head swim work hard type which does go against his Brazilian background you would assume.
    Lamela is another you would assume is more flare driven but he seems to have forgotten that and how focus’s in the battles needed.
    we do have an odd mix really but at least it’s a mix now

19. braineclipse

braineclipse Barry Daines

Far too early to say and make comparisons. Last season was a dumpster fire on multiple levels, Mourinho squeezed a EL finish out of that by any means possible.

This season has barely started, after a short strange preseason and most likely several new signings not even completed.

The problem of creating chances against settled defenses has been a problem for a long time.

The lack of creativity is a concern, there are several potential solutions, but we'll see how it works out and how quickly. An attacking left back combined with a less erratic right back. Bale. Hopefully a backup striker.

Getting Lo Celso fit and match fit will make a difference. Ndombele can be a game changer, but only time will tell.

20. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Jimmy McCormick

Who do people think is the better in terms of headers on goal: Bale or Kane?

You just wonder if that will often come into Jose's thinking...