• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

History virtually repeating

Roland Beurre

Peter Taylor
I've been playing Championship Manager 4 (I've got Football Manager but quite like playing with CM and players from way back when).

I always start with the duffest club I can find - Boston United, in this case - and after about eight seasons spent managing Boston, WBA and then Saudi Sportswashing Machine, a vacancy arose at THFC in 2010, after they had been relegated, prompting manager Ruud Gullit to jump ship.

As an aside, Ruud Gullit, Spurs - "shexy football" - made for each other, Shirley?

First season I got Spurs promoted (star players: Ledley, O'Hare, Davies and Blondel), and second season we won the FA Cup and finished 7th.

Next season, Ledley developed chronic injury problems; in one match, Spurs went 3-0 up to Emirates Marketing Project after 44 miinutes, only to be 3-4 down with 10 minutes to go (grabbed an equaliser in the last 10 minutes); completing a bad start to the campaign - not quite two points from eight games (more like five) - we lost 0-1 to bottom of the league QPR.

Next day, Levy gave me the old tin-tack.

All a bit spooky, really.

Now I've got to go off and repair my reputation with Liverpool, Sunderland or Saudi Sportswashing Machine, to return for another crack.

We're not really meant to talk about football in Randomination so I shall try to pretend this is really about computer gaming, and pose the question whether Sports Interactive is missing a trick by not having "classic" leagues from the sixties, seventies and eighties.

I'll probably find out they already have these.

Once upon a time, I used to be fairly well connected to the computer gaming industry, but I am well out of the loop now.

Meanwhile, for fans of well-old computer role playing games, I can recommend http://crpgaddict.blogspot.co.uk/

A chance to relive the days of Wizardry, Ultima, Bard's Tale, Dungeon Master and, GHod help us, Dung, Eons & Dragons. Talking of which, Wizards of the Coast have made the latest D&D rules book a free download.

That's a hell of an idea to have a management game built around different eras but would be hard to scout lower league players like CM/FM does.

That's a hell of an idea to have a management game built around different eras but would be hard to scout lower league players like CM/FM does.

Make 'em up. :)

A board gaming buddy of mine, who was also my editor when I wrote for a computer gaming magazine called Strategy Plus , was the production manager on CM2 and his idea of research seemed to be asking his mates to rate the players on the books of their favoured club. It was not exactly thoroughly researched.

One mutual friend, a Charlton Athletic supporter, moaned "how the hell am I meant to rate Scott Parker for speed, tackling, heading or whatever when he has only played a couple of first team games?".

Obviously we still mention this years later, drawing attention to Parker's 3/20 work rate value.

Actually, none of us can remember Parker's work rate value from the game but that does not stop us from sending up our friend.

According to CM 2002 edition, Aaron Lennon is not very fast.

The PFA might have records that could be used to at least get the names, dates and clubs right.

My other idea is the opportunity to pit national teams from different eras against each other, such as 1953 Hungary versus 1982 Brazil.

louisbalfourjazzclub-nice.jpg

Mmmmmm. Nice.

Back