• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hi-Fi

Anyone looking for a new hi-fi, these are potentially a great value, used option: https://homeavdirect.co.uk/kef-lsx-...sSJPEMYUjhBIVQhjrTOREFWiiyaS5yJxoCwZcQAvD_BwE

Don't need anything else. They have an inbuilt driver in each speaker, which is set up specifically for the speaker (don't need to match the amp to the speaker and all that nonsense it's all designed and setup by KEF). The results are less clutter and amazing clear sound. And they look decent in a room.

Happened to click this old link, and this all in one Hi-Fi is on sale at 799! Still a lot but considering they were £2k new and highly rated at that price, they are a bargain. The ones above are used (probably with with a warranty). Can buy a new pair for 1200 https://petertyson.co.uk/kef-ls50-wireless

The reason they are so much cheaper is the next version is now out. But the KEF LS50 wireless II doesn’t add any extra sound quality just enhanced streaming from Tidal etc. So you don’t need that, would recommend the old version.

Not only do get the cleanest most impressive sound, they are neat with no external amp required. Each speaker has 2 amps driving each part of the sound source, which are setup precisely for the speaker. The sound quality result is hard to replicate unless spending 5 figures.

They also look pretty decent in a room. Highly recommended.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Last edited:
Had a party for my 14 year old and he managed to blow all the speakers to my surround sound DVD player, playing Spotify through the TV. Wants another party, so I need new speakers that he can't break. How do I find out what spec I need?

Nothing is unbreakable.
Had a party for my 14 year old and he managed to blow all the speakers to my surround sound DVD player, playing Spotify through the TV. Wants another party, so I need new speakers that he can't break. How do I find out what spec I need?
Nothing is unbreakable, but speakers usually break because of distortion due to clipping from the amplifier i.e the amplifier is driven beyond limits. As a rule of thumb you can't really have too much power.
Of course, if you have a 500w amp with speakers rated at 10w and you really crank it up, the motor structure in the speaker will fail, but you would want to turn it down long before that, because the sound would be awful from the speaker cone wobbling.

What amp do you have? What kind of speaker are you looking for (tower or bookshelf)? do you have subs? Price range?

Right off the bat I would recommend some kits from GR Research. Absolutely amazing value for money. Nothing but high quality components for less money than a pair of mid range commercial speakers. Can build it yourself, or buy them finished. No way of blowing those unless you do something seriously wrong.
https://gr-research.com/

Last edited:
Nothing is unbreakable.

Nothing is unbreakable, but speakers usually break because of distortion due to clipping from the amplifier i.e the amplifier is driven beyond limits. As a rule of thumb you can't really have too much power.
Of course, if you have a 500w amp with speakers rated at 10w and you really crank it up, the motor structure in the speaker will fail, but you would want to turn it down long before that, because the sound would be awful from the speaker cone wobbling.

What amp do you have? What kind of speaker are you looking for (tower or bookshelf)? do you have subs? Price range?

Right off the bat I would recommend some kits from GR Research. Absolutely amazing value for money. Nothing but high quality components for less money than a pair of mid range commercial speakers. Can build it yourself, or buy them finished. No way of blowing those unless you do something seriously wrong.
https://gr-research.com/
Those sound a bit over the top for what I need.
Attached are the specs of the amp and old speakers. He's blown (as in the fabric cone has split) the two front speakers (DT300) and the subwoofer. Maximum height for new speakers is 300mm. Can I get away with a pair of speakers, or do I need a subwoofer too?

Attachments

• en-7f348677db9fe0a15b4d8d1179d95607.pdf
    40.9 KB · Views: 5
Seems like this is a AV speaker and amp kit? Subwoofer seems to be a passive one, and you will need another one, as the AV reciever will have built in low pass filters to the sub and high pass filters to the main speakers, so you will probably not have anything below 100hz or so from the main speakers.
Also, if you buy new speakers, be sure they are 8 ohm, as that receiver does not handle low impedance. That said, I'd buy something new. A proper stand alone amp/receiver and a decent pair of speakers and a sub.
The amp you have has it's power rated with 10% THD (total harmonic distortion) which is is shocking to be frank! Most amps, even budget, are below 1% at rated power.

If you just want a decent set of cheap speakers, you have the dayton audio 652. $45 but actually not bad at all. A budget amp and an active sub, and it will easily outplay your current setup.
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/out/link/641/1801/4/130439?merchant=Amazon

Seems like this is a AV speaker and amp kit? Subwoofer seems to be a passive one, and you will need another one, as the AV reciever will have built in low pass filters to the sub and high pass filters to the main speakers, so you will probably not have anything below 100hz or so from the main speakers.
Also, if you buy new speakers, be sure they are 8 ohm, as that receiver does not handle low impedance. That said, I'd buy something new. A proper stand alone amp/receiver and a decent pair of speakers and a sub.
The amp you have has it's power rated with 10% THD (total harmonic distortion) which is is shocking to be frank! Most amps, even budget, are below 1% at rated power.

If you just want a decent set of cheap speakers, you have the dayton audio 652. $45 but actually not bad at all. A budget amp and an active sub, and it will easily outplay your current setup.
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/out/link/641/1801/4/130439?merchant=Amazon
I'm sure it's not all that, it's about 20 years old. It sounded absolutely fine before it blew, I just need to get it up and running for another party, as cheaply as possible. If I just buy another set of speakers and subwoofer, what should I go for? I take it mine can't be repaired?

I'm sure it's not all that, it's about 20 years old. It sounded absolutely fine before it blew, I just need to get it up and running for another party, as cheaply as possible. If I just buy another set of speakers and subwoofer, what should I go for? I take it mine can't be repaired?
Everything can be repaired, but it's not worth it to repair those. Just buy whatever suits your budget. Just make sure they're 8 ohm. The sub is custom made for the system. Not easy finding a passive sub that this system will be able to drive. Not many passive subs out there these days.

As Kandi says, something like the Dayton speakers will do the trick. Or these https://www.richersounds.com/catalo...MIwdaEzOq7-AIVmpntCh0-0gCnEAQYAiABEgKBCPD_BwE

If you need a new amp as well, I'd just get these Kef LS50 Wireless. It is an amp and speakers all in one. The amp is setup specifically for the speakers, so the sound quality is amazing. And you don't have all the cables, amp box etc, can stream using Bluetooth/wifi, from your phone etc. For around £800 for a speaker and amp, the sound quality is unbeatable.

Last edited:
Everything can be repaired, but it's not worth it to repair those. Just buy whatever suits your budget. Just make sure they're 8 ohm. The sub is custom made for the system. Not easy finding a passive sub that this system will be able to drive. Not many passive subs out there these days.

As Kandi says, something like the Dayton speakers will do the trick. Or these https://www.richersounds.com/catalo...MIwdaEzOq7-AIVmpntCh0-0gCnEAQYAiABEgKBCPD_BwE

If you need a new amp as well, I'd just get these Kef LS50 Wireless. It is an amp and speakers all in one. The amp is setup specifically for the speakers, so the sound quality is amazing. And you don't have all the cables, amp box etc, can stream using Bluetooth/wifi, from your phone etc. For around £800 for a speaker and amp, the sound quality is unbeatable.
Many thanks for your advice chaps, it's meant I haven't wasted money on my system. I'll buy a new system.

Back