• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

You need XI first team players and the bench players knocking on the door as to why they are not starting based on ability and performance.

Not just accepting your role as a bench player. That's when things go stale at a club. Also you need bench players to come on and try to turn the game and add something to the team ... not just be on the bench for the sake of being there.

Give me hungry academy players desperate to do a job than self entitled players who think hey should be starting when they cannot even get 15 mins of football right.

He looked rusty? Is that all season or just last night.

Agreed overall. But yesterday was as bad as I've ever seen him play, and I'm pretty good conditions coming on when everyone else was tired.

Wouldn't be surprised if he finds himself struggling even more for minutes after that.

But if you don't get minutes then it's hard to add much when you come on if you aren't sharp - some players need a bit of time to get fitness.

I actually think he's not been the same player since those ankle injuries a few years back, before that he'd make more runs forward, attempted more incisive passes now it seems like he's retreated into a shell.

You need XI first team players and the bench players knocking on the door as to why they are not starting based on ability and performance.

Not just accepting your role as a bench player. That's when things go stale at a club. Also you need bench players to come on and try to turn the game and add something to the team ... not just be on the bench for the sake of being there.

Give me hungry academy players desperate to do a job than self entitled players who think hey should be starting when they cannot even get 15 mins of football right.

He looked rusty? Is that all season or just last night.
Season? He's looked rusty for 3 years. [emoji1787]

But if you don't get minutes then it's hard to add much when you come on if you aren't sharp - some players need a bit of time to get fitness.

I actually think he's not been the same player since those ankle injuries a few years back, before that he'd make more runs forward, attempted more incisive passes now it seems like he's retreated into a shell.
If he can't perform and get up.to speed with the limited minutes he's been getting then you've answered the question. He isn't the squad player for us because hes only ever going to get limited minutes meaning he will never get any rhythm.

Not that I really buy that argument. He started game after game last season and the season previous and was mediocre albeit not quite to yesterday's level but still damn awful.

I do agree it changed for him post ankle injury but that's how football careers go sometimes. He's not the player we hoped he would be when he first burst through and frankly hasn't been close to that player for going on 3 seasons now. It's time to accept the truth and move him on and replace with a suitable squad player because he isn't that.

my previous posts on Winks can be found on this thread.

Bang average, if he was Johnny Foreigner you'd have been lambasting him for years but as he's come from the academy he gets some sort of free elderly bus pass.

He's bang average, wouldn't get into a Big 6 team, and will turn out game in game out for someone like Palace ala Andros Townsend. Flog him, he won't ever be good enough.

my previous posts on Winks can be found on this thread.

Bang average, if he was Johnny Foreigner you'd have been lambasting him for years but as he's come from the academy he gets some sort of free elderly bus pass.

He's bang average, wouldn't get into a Big 6 team, and will turn out game in game out for someone like Palace ala Andros Townsend. Flog him, he won't ever be good enough.

There was nothing more painful for me than watching game after game of Sissoko and Winks starting as our CMs.

Literally a bottom half premier League team standard pairing, if that.

That was very, very bad last night. If Sissoko had made the first touch that Winks did that led to Everton’s winner or that pathetic shot he had then certain people on here should be howling.

I actually think that Winks is a lot better than what he showed last night but just isn’t of sufficient quality for a top 6 team. He is a bit like Mark Noble at West Ham, only lacking the aggression of Noble and also makes a lot more basic mistakes than Noble seems to.

It’s always a shame to cut loose players who have come through the youth system but after 2 years of not progressing at his age I think you have to call time. Problem is that I’m not too sure who would take him off of our hands?

That was very, very bad last night. If Sissoko had made the first touch that Winks did that led to Everton’s winner or that pathetic shot he had then certain people on here should be howling.

I actually think that Winks is a lot better than what he showed last night but just isn’t of sufficient quality for a top 6 team. He is a bit like Mark Noble at West Ham, only lacking the aggression of Noble and also makes a lot more basic mistakes than Noble seems to.

It’s always a shame to cut loose players who have come through the youth system but after 2 years of not progressing at his age I think you have to call time. Problem is that I’m not too sure who would take him off of our hands?
His stats from last were horrendous
I don’t believe he succeeded in anything he attempted

Agreed on the performance. I'm not seeing a shortage of criticism for it.

There's a player in there, I'm sure if it, but he's not performed at his best with any consistency for a very long time. If we decide to call it a day I would understand it, though it would be sad.

Agreed on the performance. I'm not seeing a shortage of criticism for it.

There's a player in there, I'm sure if it, but he's not performed at his best with any consistency for a very long time. If we decide to call it a day I would understand it, though it would be sad.

These type of displays are very common throughout ATM

Its a shame really because he looked a very good player when he first broke into the team, however he seems to be lacking confidence and not trying to do what he used to. Probably best for his own game if he moves on as i do not believe he will be happy sat on the bench;

He cant tackle, can’t really dribble, gets caught wrong side very often, makes bad decisions of when to hold and when to press, doesn’t have much in the way of pace, doesn’t have much in the way of physicality, isn’t particularly creative and constantly under hits his passes. Other than those small flaws he is a Word beater!

There's a lot of threads saying X player is a bit rusty because of a lack of playing time. There should be the equivalent of reserve matches on another day, so that everyone is match fit. Major flaw, if everyone who comes in to the team is not match fit. Would also help the 11 strangers in a crappy cup match not act like 11 strangers, if they are playing in a reserve game. Isn't this what used to happen in the old days?

There's a lot of threads saying X player is a bit rusty because of a lack of playing time. There should be the equivalent of reserve matches on another day, so that everyone is match fit. Major flaw, if everyone who comes in to the team is not match fit. Would also help the 11 strangers in a crappy cup match not act like 11 strangers, if they are playing in a reserve game. Isn't this what used to happen in the old days?
Problem is that reserve matches don't really keep anyone match fit as they are usually played with very little intensity.

Bring in Skipp and Sabitzer, sell winks and sissoko ...Full HG quota filled and massive upgrades to the team. Two players that can do a job in the first team when required.

Bonus being that they can be used in multiple formations with or without the two playing together.

Money will be minor net spend for those looking for value.

Problem is that reserve matches don't really keep anyone match fit as they are usually played with very little intensity.

Agreed. But if you are good enough you should be forcing questions of the manager to make youself undropable.

Under the circumstances Winks should be looking elsewhere if he wants an easy ride.

Back