• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Golf Thread

Its a tricky one as the 3 above have been poor for long periods of this season, however, matchplay is a totally different game to strokeplay. I think he will take westwood given he is am important part of the dressingroom.

Personally, i think he should go with Gallagher and Molinari. Rather than Donald or Poulter.

Since posting lastnight and seeing Donald struggle again I've changed my mind and now would go for Gallagher.

Gallagher has played very well this season and also would be a lone Scot, having a Scot at Gleneagles would fire the locals up even more

So Westwood, Poulter and Gallagher

and Rory again lastnight, awesome golf, put himself right back in contention today, for me you can discount Henley, Horschel & Kirk, I fancy one of Day, Rory, Simpson or Bradley

Since posting lastnight and seeing Donald struggle again I've changed my mind and now would go for Gallagher.

Gallagher has played very well this season and also would be a lone Scot, having a Scot at Gleneagles would fire the locals up even more

So Westwood, Poulter and Gallagher

Easy game this Captain malarky

Europe's Ryder Cup captain Paul McGinley has appointed Padraig Harrington, Jose Maria Olazabal and Miguel Angel Jimenez as deputies.

The trio join Des Smyth and Sam Torrance in McGinley's backroom staff for the showdown with the United States at Gleneagles, from September 26-28.

Olazabal played in the contest seven times and captained the side in the memorable 'Miracle at Medinah' in 2012.

His fellow Spaniard Jimenez has played in four contests, and Irishman Harrington has made six appearances.

Jimenez was vice-captain to Seve Ballesteros in 1997 and Olazabal two years ago and was also made captain of the European team in the inaugural EurAsia Cup by McGinley.

McGinley said: "I know it's been common in the past to have three or four vice-captains but I've gone for five because I feel an extra person is justified due to the additional workload which comes from being the home team, in addition to how well I saw such a system working when we ended up having five vice captains under Colin Montgomerie at Celtic Manor in 2010 (Sergio Garcia was a late addition).

"Padraig is my oldest friend on Tour and is a guy I have known most of my life. We went to school together, came through the amateur ranks together and have been together in many contests for both Ireland and Europe over the years, so I know what he can bring to the team room

"As far as Miguel is concerned, he is someone that the spectators love as well as being very popular with all the players. However, he is also a person that I respect very much. I have sat beside him for over a decade on the Tournament Players' Committee and have seen him exhibit an integrity on many occasions that is very admirable.

"Finally, Jose Maria's passion for the Ryder Cup is recognised the world over. It was obvious in his legendary partnership with Seve and was also so very apparent two years ago at Medinah, so I'm delighted he has accepted my invitation to be involved again, once more maintaining that important continuity."

Confidence

"I have complete confidence and trust in all five of my vice-captains and the help they will give me in the difficult quest of trying to retain the Ryder Cup."

Harrington said: "I am really looking forward to being part of the Ryder Cup from a different angle to the playing side. That aspect of things is something that really interests me and I'm therefore delighted that Paul has given me the opportunity.

"Paul is a good friend of mine and I think he's done a great job in the captaincy thus far, therefore I don't necessarily think he needs that much help. But he knows I'm happy to get involved behind the scenes to give him and the players as much assistance as I can."

Jimenez, whose EurAsia Cup team secured a dramatic 10-10 draw in Malaysia in March, said: "I thoroughly enjoyed being captain of Europe at the EurAsia Cup which was a great opportunity for me and I am looking forward to bringing the experience I gained there to the team room at Gleneagles. I have a great relationship with all the players, having played alongside them regularly over the years."

Olazabal added: "Everyone knows how much the Ryder Cup has meant in my career and it's an occasion that I love being part of. It is a unique and special event - and I know that will be the case once again in Scotland in three weeks' time.

"I think we have a very good team in place but, as Paul said on Tuesday, we are under no illusions about how formidable a test the United States team will present. But he knows I will do everything I possibly can to help him and the players throughout the week."

Looking forward to watching Rory tonight, really hope he wins this title and the Fedex Championship outright

[video=youtube;bqJB9wo86WQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqJB9wo86WQ[/video]

Just been watching Rory using the above, they showed him making 55 6 foot putts in a row....

Looking forward to watching Rory tonight, really hope he wins this title and the Fedex Championship outright

Billy Horschel........won $10million dollars for winning the series.........jesh if i had my time again i would live on a golf course

For a large prize money event it was quite low key,even when he was handed the trophy by some old geezer in a tv gantry,all done and dusted in 5 mins.

Loving Sky Sports Ryder Cup, watching the 2010 & 2012 official films this morning, Rory was a right fatty in 2010 haha

Not really a big golf fan, other than the last day of a major when it's close and it really does make for good tv. I may give the Ryder Cup a watch as the last one was so dramatic.

On a different subject, does anyone else find it hard to warm to Rory McIlroy? He just seems a bit aloof and quite boring to be honest, he's as wooden as a tree covered in paint in those Santander ads. When the won the Open, some 12 year old kid came up to him for an autograph as he made his way back to the clubhouse and kind of arrogantly dismissed him, then some 18 stone bouncer came along and pulled the poor sprog aside :lol:

And finally, what's the general view of Tiger Woods these days? Do the Americans still love him? They seem to love winners no matter what the personality. I could never root for him personally.

Not really a big golf fan, other than the last day of a major when it's close and it really does make for good tv. I may give the Ryder Cup a watch as the last one was so dramatic.

On a different subject, does anyone else find it hard to warm to Rory McIlroy? He just seems a bit aloof and quite boring to be honest, he's as wooden as a tree covered in paint in those Santander ads. When the won the Open, some 12 year old kid came up to him for an autograph as he made his way back to the clubhouse and kind of arrogantly dismissed him, then some 18 stone bouncer came along and pulled the poor sprog aside :lol:

And finally, what's the general view of Tiger Woods these days? Do the Americans still love him? They seem to love winners no matter what the personality. I could never root for him personally.

I like Rory, I follow him on twitter and he is pretty funny and boy can he play golf too, amazing driver of the ball

and Tiger, I'd say Yanks prefer Phil M to Tiger these days, but whenever he plays he gets huge galleries and every shot is shown on the US coverage

Can't wait for Ryder Cup this weekend, shame the GF has decided to book a day out on Sunday. Should be back for last couple of hours but when an event only comes round every couple of years I hate missing any of it.

I keep hearing Europe are heavy favourites this time, does that mean it should be a formality or can anything happen in Golf?

I keep hearing Europe are heavy favourites this time, does that mean it should be a formality or can anything happen in Golf?

The yanks have some fantastic players, but home advantage and the experience of our top top players should mean a European win

10701981_809334342444223_3256836427455207424_n.jpg

People say this but the last two Ryder Cups have come down to 1 match with last last one being a comeback that wont be seen again. Both very close. Matchplay is a different beast to normal golf, form goes out the window, especially in foursomes and gfiursomes. A lot comes down to the luck of the draw of the matches. Yes we may have more players in the top 10 but that may only have a big influence on the singles on the final day, it could be all over by then.

People say this but the last two Ryder Cups have come down to 1 match.

Well said, each match hinges on tiny moments, heart, belief and suddenly a game can flip the opposite way on one shot.

Anything could happen, that is what makes it so awesome.

(PS. What on earth is a gfiursome Erik?)

Back