1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Giovani Lo Celso

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Jordinho, 8 Aug 2019.

1. braineclipse

braineclipse Gary Stevens

He was rather good for a while under Mourinho. I think he needs a fairly specific role in a suitable system to thrive. Different player to Alli obviously, but similar in that he needs the right role. Mostly didn't get that here so looked average at best way too often.

Struggled at PSG too, doesn't mean he's not suited to the French league. More about role and system. Us under Conte doesn't look like the right answer at all though.

Robspur12, Rorschach and papaspur like this.
  2. AjaxDeSuperYids

AjaxDeSuperYids Kasey Keller

He doesn’t fit into our system unless we play 3412 with him as the 1 but I’d rather we sell him and sign eriksen for that role, as gio is constantly injured and cannot cope with the prem seemingly.

thfcsteff likes this.
  3. Bishop

Bishop Mauricio Taricco

No, we just didn't play him the position that suited him nor with competent partners. When Jose played him in CM at the latter end of his first season he became an essential player and one of the first names on team sheet a( fact that so many are so quick to forget). He then got injured and when he came back Jose tried to plug the gaping hole on the right of attack with GLC. He's not a RWF and the role doesn't suit his attributes at all. He did get a few games in AMF but usually in front of the trash Winks/Sissoko/Hojberg partnerships. So a terrible use of the ball before it eventually got to him.

He might never have been destined to be brilliant here but we sure made our best efforts to use him completely incorrectly and stifle his actual good attributes.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Robspur12, AdamB, Robbo and 7 others like this.
  4. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Ian Walker

I think he is a decent enough player in the slower paced leagues but not cut out for premiership football. He just didn't really get the time to work the ball onto his favoured foot the whole time in the PL. Watching Kulusevski assisting Son's goal against Newcastle on Sunday, I thought to myself that had that been Lo Celso he would either have had to try a ridiculous outside of his left foot ball into Son or had to cut back onto his left foot, at which point the chance would've gone. It's great for us that he is doing well at Villareal as we might be able to bring in as much as £20 or £25 million that we can put towards a player who is more suited to PL football.

SteveAWOL, thfcsteff, MKSpur and 3 others like this.
  5. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Micky Hazard

Or just pay for Kulu with the money which is an upgrade

johnola, SteveAWOL, thfcsteff and 3 others like this.
  6. Legohamster

Legohamster Les Ferdinand

Antonio Conte on Giovani Lo Celso: He's showing he's a good player but I never said he's not a good player.” This league is a very difficult league and it's important to play with great intensity & strength."

Sounds like he wasn’t a fan of his effort and injury record

Robbo, FatBloke, SteveAWOL and 3 others like this.
  7. Lilbaz

Lilbaz Michael Carrick

Sending him out on loan was the giveaway for me.

MKSpur likes this.
  8. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Andy Thompson

9. Lilbaz

Lilbaz Michael Carrick

Good for Capoue.

Last edited: 13 Apr 2022
  10. Mcfee

Mcfee Jamie Redknapp

I watched most of the Villarreal game last. Lo Celso played ok, decent but nothing special. As has been said numerous times he’s so one-footed it’s almost painful to see. Also kept an eye on Pau Torres… hmm ok did nothing wrong but Bayern didn’t ask a lot of questions. Torres is another who looks one-footed (maybe it’s just left footed players!) but he played some nice passes. Not sure about him tbh.
    As for Bayern they’ve gone backwards by some distance on this evidence. Nagelsmann might not last long. Job for Poch?

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  11. MKSpur

MKSpur Johnny Morrison

I’m pleased he’s doing well as it ultimately benefits the club and I do remember him being one of our better players initially under Mourinho - busy in the middle and driving us forward rather than contributing in the final third though. Would feel difficult to back him on his injury record alone so hopefully this has put him in the shop window and we can get a few for him in the summer (there was talk of another loan to Villarreal after this but which concerned me as it seems he’s proved his value to them)

12. superspurs

superspurs Jonathan Woodgate

Agreed, pleased for him, he's found a good fit for him in Spain and under Emery, lets get good value for him and crack on now.

Betis are challenging for top 4 in Spain at the moment, another potential suitor with some cash on the hip perhaps.

harr1984, MKSpur and AdamB like this.
  13. Kandi1977

Kandi1977 Les Howe

He wasn't good he was just about ok. Provided very little of what was expected in the role he played. Just get some money from Villarreal and let him stay. We don't want him or need him. Not suited for the PL.

14. yiddo37

yiddo37 Goran Bunjevcevic

Don't get all this talk about being one footed, been some great players who were mainly one footed. Tony Currie was very good and Liam Brady excellent in the 70s/80's, Maradona was mainly left footed as is Messi, Steve Gerrard hardly ever used his left. Been loads of others over the decades. Being able to use both well helps but not necessary.
    Edit. Back to Lo Celso, good player but needs to go. Seems to be fit 100% of the time when not playing for Spurs.

spurspinter1 likes this.
  15. parklane1

parklane1 Terry Dyson

Indeed, a footballer who shows sense.

Legohamster and Lilbaz like this.
  16. Gazza Dazzla

Gazza Dazzla John Lacy

He was pretty much our best player (on form) in his first season after Jose took over and played him as one of the deep CM’s, we triggered the buying clause off the back of those performances. They didn’t last too long, maybe 3 or 4 months, but to say he was “not good but just ok” is revisionary and influenced by the brickness he served up in the rest of his spell here.

harr1984, Robspur12, FatBloke and 2 others like this.
  17. Legohamster

Legohamster Les Ferdinand

He is painfully one footed, Gerrard etc could use the weaker foot, Lo Celso never seemed to, seemingly preferring to run around the ball than use his right foot.

Danishfurniturelover likes this.
  18. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Micky Hazard

Zoolander syndrome
    Lamela suffered from it too

Legohamster likes this.
  19. Jurgen the German

Jurgen the German Jimmy Cantrell

Most players have a weaker foot, the difference is Lo Celso virtually flat out refuses to use his right root even just to touch the ball. Nothing wrong with using the outside of your foot but sometimes there are occasions when you have to use your weaker foot.

Legohamster and Bedfordspurs like this.
  20. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Andy Thompson