• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

I’m neither fretting or flapping. It’s a discussion point. About a Spurs player. On a Spurs website.

Fair enough, he’s on loan. I’d be surprised if Levy had as big a hand in, say the Doherty and Hojbjerg deals, as he supposedly did with the Bale deal. But either way, I’m sure two months in he didn’t envisage Bale spending the entire 90 minutes against big teams like City and Chelsea on the bench. None of us did if we’re honest. He’s been a bit underwhelming so far.

But it’s early days and I think Jose’s selection policy has been very fair. Like I say, hopefully he’ll get some game time against Woolwich, Palace and the Dippers and show what he’s capable of.
I don't particularly care which games he plays in. I'm happy that he hasn't gotten minutes against City or Chelsea as we got 4 points out of those two games and the players being chosen ahead of him has done their part. Also that means Mourinho isn't playing Bale because he's Bale which would be bad.

If only plays in "smaller" PL games and EL games then that's fine. If that makes him unhappy eventually and he doesn't want to be here next season that's also fine.

Against Ludogorets. The Europa league is clearly Jose playing the B team. Levy didn’t buy Bale to have him playing pub teams and sitting on the bench for the big games. Hopefully he can get up to speed soon for the Arsenal and Bindipper games.
You're right on one point, "Levy didn't buy him... "
He's on loan.
And he's paid 250k regardless. What difference does it make if he plays every game or not? It's 250k either way. It's not as if it suddenly becomes less of a payout if he plays every game.

I don't particularly care which games he plays in. I'm happy that he hasn't gotten minutes against City or Chelsea as we got 4 points out of those two games and the players being chosen ahead of him has done their part. Also that means Mourinho isn't playing Bale because he's Bale which would be bad.

If only plays in "smaller" PL games and EL games then that's fine. If that makes him unhappy eventually and he doesn't want to be here next season that's also fine.

Would agree totally with all of that, The signing of Bale was a uplifting sign for the players in the dressing room and us fans. You only had to listen to the vast majority of fans to see that is was a major confidence lift for all.

The facts are he is not the player he was but he still has the charisma and i would imagine it has had the same effect in the dressing room.

You're right on one point, "Levy didn't buy him... "
He's on loan.
And he's paid 250k regardless. What difference does it make if he plays every game or not? It's 250k either way. It's not as if it suddenly becomes less of a payout if he plays every game.

If you’re going to spend £200k to £250k a week on a player, you expect him to play fairly regularly and contribute in the big games. Especially if you’re a club run the way we are. As you note, he’s on loan for a season (maybe 2?) so this isn’t some long term investment we’re talking about here. When we heard he was coming back, I certainly expected more from him at this point and, judging by the posts at the time, so did everyone else. He’s been a bit underwhelming so far.

That said, it’s early days and we have no shortage of games. Maybe it’s just a fitness thing. I hope so rather than an indication of a deeper problem. If he can produce anything near his best, he’ll be incredible for us but, so far, he’s been well short of that level.

If you’re going to spend £200k to £250k a week on a player, you expect him to play fairly regularly and contribute in the big games. Especially if you’re a club run the way we are. As you note, he’s on loan for a season (maybe 2?) so this isn’t some long term investment we’re talking about here. When we heard he was coming back, I certainly expected more from him at this point and, judging by the posts at the time, so did everyone else. He’s been a bit underwhelming so far.

That said, it’s early days and we have no shortage of games. Maybe it’s just a fitness thing. I hope so rather than an indication of a deeper problem. If he can produce anything near his best, he’ll be incredible for us but, so far, he’s been well short of that level.
He has hardly played for 2 years, you're being far too harsh
On Thursday he showed glimpses for the first time of being match sharp, it will come 100%

He has hardly played for 2 years, you're being far too harsh
On Thursday he showed glimpses for the first time of being match sharp, it will come 400%

Maybe I am. But he's here until the summer as it stands. That's about 8 months (Oct - May). He's been here for 25% of that time already and, not only is he not in the first 11, he's not even getting minutes in the games where it matters most.

I'm not writing him off, I'm not condemning Jose for not starting him (quite the opposite) but he's got to start producing in the next month or two.

I understand the point you are making mate i do but i never really thought he would be the second coming so to speak( mainly because he is much older and has had fitness problems for quite a while) We may never see the old magic from him ( lets hope we do though) but in terms of the confidence given to our other players by his signing, the joy it has brought to us fans and on top of that he has a winning M e ntality which we have missed for a very long time which will spread among the dressing room. And along with the managers M e ntality will make a big difference.

I understand the point you are making mate i do but i never really thought he would be the second coming so to speak( mainly because he is much older and has had fitness problems for quite a while) We may never see the old magic from him ( lets hope we do though) but in terms of the confidence given to our other players by his signing, the joy it has brought to us fans and on top of that he has a winning M e ntality which we have missed for a very long time which will spread among the dressing room. And along with the managers M e ntality will make a big difference.

Yeah actually, that's a good point I'm not considering above. He looks happy and he's a winner so his mentality and experience will be a benefit either way (along with Hart, Hjobjerg and Reguilon) . Maybe I got carried away with the romance of him coming back or maybe I'm a bit impatient but I want to see him, Kane and Son tearing teams apart. If he could start this weekend though, I'll happily retract all of the above and get "Bale, Wales, Madrid - in that order" tattooed across my forehead :)

Maybe I am. But he's here until the summer as it stands. That's about 8 months (Oct - May). He's been here for 25% of that time already and, not only is he not in the first 11, he's not even getting minutes in the games where it matters most.

I'm not writing him off, I'm not condemning Jose for not starting him (quite the opposite) but he's got to start producing in the next month or two.
As long as we're successful what does it matter how much Bale is involved, in which games and how much he produces?

He think he'll improve as the season progresses. I'm not surprised by his somewhat underwhelming start to his return.

Spot on. And we'll have injuries, we'll hopefully have a lot of knockout football to play too leading to fixture congestion.

He doesn't have to be first choice in big games to have a positive impact.

As long as we're successful what does it matter how much Bale is involved, in which games and how much he produces?

He think he'll improve as the season progresses. I'm not surprised by his somewhat underwhelming start to his return.

If we win the league (or anything else), I wouldn't give a f**k if Bale didn't kick another ball for us. But I think the Gareth Bale we all know, or even a poorer version of him, helps us immeasurably to win. You're right - the end game here is that Tottenham win some trophies.

Spot on. And we'll have injuries, we'll hopefully have a lot of knockout football to play too leading to fixture congestion.

He doesn't have to be first choice in big games to have a positive impact.

It's even more than that

- If we get to a final/SF, having Bale around is a difference for the team
- Every manager we play against needs to spend some time/resources on "if we play Bale, and how they counter"
- Additionally, the combination of him, Vini and one of Lucas/Lamela/Bergwijn takes a lot of pressure off Kane/Son in midweek games

Chelsea had two extra days this week-end but really it made no difference because we rested our front line .. repeat that multiple times over a season, it makes a difference

"The only problem with Gareth is to get into the dynamic and the confidence of playing consecutive matches without any bad feeling or negative feeling, without any remembrance of the recent past when the condition was not the best and the fears were there," Mourinho said.

I agree with Maurinho, Bale looks fearful when playing. The way he pulled out of the chance from knock down by Dougherty in the last game was telling

"The only problem with Gareth is to get into the dynamic and the confidence of playing consecutive matches without any bad feeling or negative feeling, without any remembrance of the recent past when the condition was not the best and the fears were there," Mourinho said.

I agree with Maurinho, Bale looks fearful when playing. The way he pulled out of the chance from knock down by Dougherty in the last game was telling
Yeah I’d second this, it actually started a bit first time around with the ankle injuries and he started getting called a diver for hurdling challenges before they clattered him. He’s shown glimpses of the old magic and there’s still a lot of footy to be played, it’s actually quite reassuring we aren’t playing him for the sake of it. There must be a massive if not ultimate goal is to get fit for Wales so I’m sure he’s putting in the work in training.
My only slight concern is he seems a little flashier than he was before, but I didn’t really see how he played for RM just highlights of the odd European cup winning goal.

It's even more than that

- If we get to a final/SF, having Bale around is a difference for the team
- Every manager we play against needs to spend some time/resources on "if we play Bale, and how they counter"
- Additionally, the combination of him, Vini and one of Lucas/Lamela/Bergwijn takes a lot of pressure off Kane/Son in midweek games

Chelsea had two extra days this week-end but really it made no difference because we rested our front line .. repeat that multiple times over a season, it makes a difference

You could argue for all the seasons to have to play Europa League this is the one. You can’t rotate with the Champions League as the games are harder. Whereas in Europa you can. Downside extra knockout round after February evens that out a bit.

You could argue for all the seasons to have to play Europa League this is the one. You can’t rotate with the Champions League as the games are harder. Whereas in Europa you can. Downside extra knockout round after February evens that out a bit.
Absolutely. There may be one CL game you can risk it or if you qualify early but with everything that’s going on this season it’s been a blessing rather than the curse it usually is seen as. Especially when you consider the injury risk from the compacted season. Also a few of our players missed a big chunk of last year so the need for a rest may not have been as important for the CL teams who were more fortunate in that regard last season.
on a personal note as we can’t go to games it’s not bothered me as much as it used to when it meant more Sunday home games, which I think we’re becoming as much about preferred tv slots for CL teams anyway.

Maybe, just maybe we may have been fortuitous or Dr Tottenham is keeping his powder dry to brick on our hopes and dreams once we are all back in the stadium.

Bale's poor form is really worrying. Knew he won't be as good as before but he has been much worse than expected. On his current form, he is not fit to start any matches for us. The most disappointing thing about Bale is that his shots no longer has the power and accuracy as before. Can understand if he is no longer as fast as before but he really should be able to maintain his trade mark long range shots.

Back