1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Gardens and stuff

Discussion in 'Randomination' started by LutonSpurs, 31 May 2020.

1. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Jimmy Neighbour

Link has disappeared.
    Just been checking, doesn't look like that would work. Pity about that, quite fancied that.

2. Rorschach

Rorschach Vic Buckingham

I don't see a wattage on the description so hard to tell.

I only really have a rudimentary understanding of this, but a PV Panel/12v battery setup is DC whereas this appliance is AC. The inverter changes one to the other. Say in a campervan you would have 2 batteries. One is for driving and the other is for the appliances and would be connected to an inverter. For your purposes going down this road might not be the best fit. Maybe an inverter generator (they are not as noisy) or a circuit out from your house might be a better approach.
    edit: you also need to worry about the batteries too. Running them down to nothing can damage them unless they are deep cycle or lithium.

Last edited: 8 Jun 2020
    glasgowspur likes this.
  3. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Steffen Freund

You get what you pay for, and this looks too cheap https://www.wish.com/product/5ddf7b2bd691bc5caf935be0?from_ad=goog_shopping&_display_country_code=GB&_force_currency_code=GBP&pid=googleadwords_int&c={campaignId}&ad_cid=5ddf7b2bd691bc5caf935be0&ad_cc=GB&ad_curr=GBP&ad_price=28.00&campaign_id=10079127766&gclid=Cj0KCQjww_f2BRC-ARIsAP3zarFb-8iTQa9y_h90CSN0GH5xMwl7pqdpRWy2JAdsSheUMfFDIc7jHcIaAp3DEALw_wcB&hide_login_modal=true&share=web

With LED lights using so little power, something similar could work....?

This looks better, thanks for @Bedfordspurs https://www.thesolarcentre.co.uk/products/Geo_1_Mains_Free_Solar_Lighting_Kit-554-85.html

4. Rorschach

Rorschach Vic Buckingham

I'd doubt that the first one is a 400W panel. They are expensive and a lot bigger than the one shown in the image. Steer clear I would say.

Yes LEDs are your man. Low wattage. If you are charging batteries I think you might need a charge controller to stop it overcharging, though I could be wrong on Derp

If it is only for lights may be a rechargeable lithium/panel/light combo is the cheapest solution.

SpurMeUp likes this.
  5. glasgowspur

Thanks, I will dig deeper.
    I have a supply out to the garage, but although it's a small thing it would be a step towards greener energy usage.
    Every little bit and all that.

Rorschach likes this.
  6. Rorschach

Rorschach Vic Buckingham

Stick a few PV panels on your house would be the way to go ;)

7. glasgowspur

I will be renewing our roof over the next five years, I intend looking into then.

Rorschach likes this.
  8. LutonSpurs

LutonSpurs Eric Dear

What you planted so far this year lads?

I have mint, coriander, tomoatoes. All coming along superbly well

9. Glenda's Legs

Glenda's Legs John Lacy

Trying tomatoes for the first time.
    They haven't died yet, so I am seeing that as good progress.

LutonSpurs likes this.
  10. glasgowspur

Toms, that have taken over a room, coriander, lettuce, chillies and sweet peppers.

LutonSpurs likes this.
  11. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Ralph Coates

I’d hold fire on any roof replacement until solar tiles become “the norm”
    I know it’s been developed in the states but not really pushed and I’m not up to speed on where their at but that’s the way to go
    Tesla we’re doing them

12. parklane1

parklane1 Tommy Harmer

You can not beat a bit of " homegrown" :cool:

LutonSpurs likes this.
  13. glasgowspur

It's one of the reasons I'm hedging. Cost is an issue mind you because it's a big ole roof and I don't expect the new fangled one to be cheap.

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  14. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Ralph Coates

About 4 times the cost is day but the payback should be ok

15. markysimmo

markysimmo Johnny nice-tits

My pal has a company that does all that work, I can pass his details over if you was interested

16. glasgowspur

Yes please, as I say it's a whole off as there is other priorities but the more info the better.

17. Rorschach

Rorschach Vic Buckingham

There are a few options out there now but the price is astronomical and the output from the tile is not great either. The tesla ones, in particular, cost big big money. I toyed briefly with the idea of using them for the self-build I'm working on but the negatives quickly outweighed any positives. In fact, there were no positives really.
    A few practical issues beyond the cost. It only makes sense to put them on the south-facing aspect where they really work, so visual consistency won't be achieved. If you cover your roof you paying for tiles that do nothing. You can't cut them for the edges, hips and valleys so the edges will different. I imagine the weight also must be more of a consideration compared to current panels, so you might need to reinforce your roof structure to take the added load. They might sort all those things out but normal PV is so cheap now I doubt they'll catch on in any big way. My tuppence worth.

Last edited: 8 Jun 2020
  18. P.D.

P.D. Simon Davies

Why not just re-seed, I can see the attraction but just prefer real grass. Weirdly enjoy the therapy of mowing the lawn each weekend as well. Doesn't all the rain just sit on top, what's the drainage like?

19. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Paul Robinson

Sun? He lives in f.cking Scotland...a wind turbine might be better:D

glasgowspur likes this.
  20. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Paul Robinson

Peas, runners, broad beans, french beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, sweetcorn, potatoes, aubergines, peppers, spring greens, calabrese, red onions, Japanese onions, spring onions, radishes, all kinds of lettuce, covolo nero, russian kale, beetroot, asparagus plus all the fruit is coming along.. raspberries, strawberries, blackberry, blackcurrants, gooseberrys, redcurrants, blueberries, apple's, pears, cherries, peaches and grapes and all the annual herbs.

It's not just me growing all Derp There's a few old clams helping:)

Last edited: 9 Jun 2020
    LutonSpurs likes this.