1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Former Player Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Football' started by AuroRaman, 14 Mar 2014.

1. Baleforce

Baleforce Steve Archibald

Remember that goal Bergkamp scored at the World Cup against Argentina?

Sissoko basically did the same thing against Arsenal today.

harr1984 likes this.
  2. Robbo

Robbo Chris Perry

Dele Alli. That reception gave me goosebumps. Lovely gesture from the home crowd.

Still saddens me he had to go - such a joy to watch when he was at the top of his game.

3. Aldo

Aldo Alan Hutton

They've got Alli, Dele Alli
    I just don't think you understand.
    He hasn't cost a quid.
    And now he's not a yid.
    They've got Dele Alli.

4. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Andy Thompson

5. parklane1

parklane1 Terry Dyson

Truely a great player.

6. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Andy Thompson

Robbo likes this.
  7. awesome dawson

awesome dawson Mitchell Thomas

Joe Hart starting for Celtic these days. Top of the league, albeit Scottish football isn't the best. Old Firm Derby today. Early kick, could be a worth watching.

8. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Andy Thompson

9. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Andy Thompson

The good old days, back when we had Full/Wing-backs who provided a goal threat…

harr1984 and Robbo like this.
  10. Robbo

Robbo Chris Perry

11. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Andy Thompson

12. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

Seeing Dele Alli as 'Mr May' in this year's Spurs Calendar :(

13. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

14. jts1882

jts1882 Vedran Corluka

Clive Allen exclusive: The 'dying art' of scoring - and how Terry Venables became his lawyer

Ahead of Thursday's north London derby, the consummate goalscorer reflects on how the role has changed since his salad days at Spurs

... “He said it’s a dying art, isn’t it, goalscoring?”

Scoring records were everything when Allen was playing, the first and last question about any emerging striker. And now?

“It might be that a striker is classified as quick, or good in the air," Allen says. "It’s always something else before goalscoring.”

Allen was coaching at Spurs when Harry Kane was scoring, if not necessarily starring, in their youth teams. “He didn't really excel in anything other than scoring. As development manager at that time, asking the youth-team manager how his team had got on, who played well, the ‘who scored?’ question was always answered with: ‘Harry’.

“How did he play? ‘Well, he did okay, but we won 3-2 and he scored two.’ That happened all the way through, but there was nothing cast in stone that he would achieve what he’s achieved.”

Has it now reached the point that Son Heung-min is the better traditional striker? “Yes, I think so, his goalscoring form has shown that. Harry maybe doesn’t get as many chances now but he is as clinical as there is in the Premier League. But, crazy thing to say, Son is probably the bigger threat.”

Of the many London derbies Allen played, a defeat to Arsenal with Spurs is “the one that always hurts the most.” It was a unique trilogy in a League Cup semi-final which went to a replay after finishing 2-2 on aggregate. “Six minutes before the end I scored, so over the course of three games we’d never been behind.” Then Ian Allinson and David Rocastle snatched an unlikely win for Arsenal.

“The thing that I'll never forget is walking down the tunnel and a guy from the sponsors said: ‘Congratulations, you've just broken the League Cup goalscoring record.’ I scored 12 goals in the competition that season. I'm standing in the tunnel nearly in tears holding two bottles of champagne.”

This was in Allen’s award-winning and record-breaking 49-goal season in 1986-87, in which Spurs lost the FA Cup final to Coventry and finished third in the league. They looked like contenders for all three domestic trophies. “Like Liverpool now, when you're going for four if you just lose one the whole thing starts to crumble,” he says. “When the momentum is there, and when you have that belief and are in all competitions, it's fantastic. You just want the next game to come. But when one goes wrong, it can have a devastating effect.”

P.S. Disable javascript to get the full story.

SteveAWOL and glasgowspur like this.
  15. parklane1

parklane1 Terry Dyson

That 86/87 season was one of the best and our team were really good. Allen was right about the Arse trilogy we were never behind in the three games and lost right at the end i was at all those games and its one of the worst feelings i have felt when they got the winner. We played so well that year, Waddle was brilliant and Hoddle was as good as he had ever been in what was his last season in our shirt. Truth was we played in so many games we just run out of legs at the end and our final game in the FA Cup we were knackerd and even GHod never got going.

So sad to end up with nothing when in all honesty we deserved far more, just too many games and the players run out of legs.

16. Yiddo

Yiddo Johnny Morrison

I know we have a transfer section when the window opens but is there any chance of a general, non Sours related transfer thread for all the deals that go on outside the window?

17. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Micky Hazard

My first real regular season
    Saw about 20 games that year at the age of 11

18. Jordinho

Jordinho John Cameron Staff Member

You're thinking in this subsection of the forum? Nobody's stopping you. ;)

19. parklane1

parklane1 Terry Dyson

We were run ragged with the amount of games we played final of the FA Cup, semi final Lge cup and finished 3rd in the league. As i said earlier we had a very good team but fell away at the end, winning only 2 of our last 7 lge games.

metalgear and Bedfordspurs like this.
  20. Yiddo

Yiddo Johnny Morrison

Thanks, just thought i would ask before posting one.

Bedfordspurs likes this.