• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Football Grammar

Yes a real hate of mine too.

Youngsters seem to have problems these days talking English. I was told I looked sick earlier tonight.

Not sure if that's a good thing or if he thought I looked unwell?

It's not hard to talk what is considered proper or normal.

I also hate the standard newspaper headlines: Everton rocked by Lukaku comments; Swansea late show rocks Arsenal; City lead Kane chase or whatever. I can't stand such lazy attacks on the English language.

I've just been reading this article about Alex Pritchard: http://www1.skysports.com/football/...gland-under-21-star-get-tottenham-chance-soon.

It actualy highlights something that has been tinkleing me off for a while.

In ths piece it states: “I think Alex goes on to grace White Hart Lane,” said Warburton recently.

I've also heard (or seen) lots of posters on here saying for example, after someone misses a headed chance: 'Benteke scores that'. WTF is this all about?

These sentences belie all grammatical knowledge I have (I taught English in German adult learning centres for a year or so). When people talk in the future tense they don't seem to use necessary possibility forms such as 'if' and 'would'.

I haven't been living in the UK now for the past 8 years - is this ugly usage of the language occuring in other areas of society too? Is is this dumbed down muck simply football talk?

If it is i think we are now finally seeing the effects of having illiterate coke heads presenting shows and ex-players with the IQ of a particularly inarticulate marrow masquerading as legitimate commentators in the public sphere.

Why do we have to endure the Paul Mersons of the world when mainstream TV could quite easily employ someone such as James Richardson? Or is the average football fan really a knuckle dragging neanderthal? If so, shouldn't TV companies accept some sort of responsibility and not further impare people's ability to speak their mother tongue? If someone struggles to the point of not being able to correctly form a sentence in their own (and probably only) language then surely there is a responsibility somewhere not to let thick idiots like Merson loose on TV in front of a dim-witted and impressionable public?

EDIT: sorry, I've just noticed that I posted in the wrong forum!

And another thing..!

I've noticed the increasing use of a kind of permanent present tense in writing.

To put it in a Spurs context, sentences like -

"There's no way Levy pays £30m for Schneiderlin"

Instead of "there's no way Levy would (or will) pay £30m..."

Or similarly stuff like "if Eriksen starts we win the game".

I could be completely wrong but it strikes me as an Americanism. Anyone else come across this?

I have also noticed this!

See my post above from: http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/commun...-of-pedants-anonymous.5738/page-5#post-666186

The other pet hate of mine is when the ex footballer / pundit starts their sentence off with "Listen.."..
Like they gave something important to say!

"Saved by the post"

Not so much grammar, just wrong. If the ball hits the post, you missed the target. The post did not prevent it from going in.

funny story, maybe

my young colleague, who is fond of the word "you'se", when he means a collective you, which drives me potty, found a new picture on the wall of our office, two sheep in a field next to a teapot, with the heading "do ewes want some tea?" we all had a good laugh and he took it very well

two hours later he pointed at the picture and asked the room, "very funny, but why the sheep?"

I despair at today's youth, I really do, what do the schools teach these children?

Yer Galeforce's and yer Armchair's, youse can all phuck off correcting my talking, there is nothing wrong with speaking proper like what we all do at football. And I mean the royal 'we' coz I'm sick like that. A right sick qunt. Pro ven.

Remember Jamie Redknapp saying Gareth Bale literally had three lungs. This literally annoys me!

Back