• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

FIFA: Destroying Football Since 1904

Maybe a naive question but i guess playing in Brazil during summer doesn't look much comfortable or easy than playing in Qatar during the summer?

I bet some players (who don't mind being away for Xmas) will prefer playing in that climate than our beautiful weather!

What's wrong with holding it in Winter?
There's a load of leagues that run on a calendar year and not from the end of one summer to the start of the next.
Why not suit them for a change?
Because these leagues have smaller attendances than the Conference.

Can't imagine any clubs particularly in favour of letting their best players go abroad to play a three week tournament mid season. What if anyone's star player comes back injured?

Some teams will potentially have half their squad competing in the WC, while others will have all their players back home, resting and practicing for the second half of the season. How is that fair? At least after a summer WC there is a one-one and a half month break before the seaon starts. That would be impossible to do mid season in addition to the WC month.

Also; what about preparation time - should that be added to the four weeks the tournament lasts? Three weeks of preparation before the start of the WC in, what, early December?

Would this mean no Boxing day fixture in the PL? A big **** you to years and years of traditional Christmas fixtures?

I can see plenty of PL club lawyers being at work already. I think this is a bloody disgrace, with the only one benefitting from it, is the FA delegates whose wealth is now even bigger from more brown envelopes.

Thin end of the wedge mate.

This will mean the start of an annual winter break, so we'll lose all the Xmas and new year fixtures in favour of promotional exhibition matches in the Far East to grow the brand.

Hoo-ray.

This sets a very dangerous precedent if it's allowed to go ahead. Could countries in the Southern Hemisphere get the option of moving the World Cup to a warmer time of year for them too when it would be better for tourism?

It's quite funny how many reasons keep coming up to NOT host the World Cup in Qatar that keep getting ignored. Unsuitable weather, human rights abuses, lack of infrastructure, very small country and indigenous population therefore no legacy to be had from it, homosexuality illegal, no alcohol, if Israel qualify their fans won't be able to enter the country....this is a complete and utter farce. And it needs to be boycotted.

If votes have been bought, they will most likely stay bought, unless the show can't take place. I don't know who will have the balls to stand up first, but what it will take is the FA from a major country refusing to take part, or even better, the Prime Minister/President of a country forbidding their team from participating. You'd hope that if somebody steps up, other world leaders would follow and before you know it, nobody is taking part and FIFA have no choice but to cancel it.

The precedent makes me wonder if it was deliberate. As it stands it was patently obvious to everyone except those voting that a summer world cup in Qatar was madness. The only explanations are that the FIFA voters were unaware that temperatures in the Arabian desert are hot in the summer, they were blinded by money, or it was part of a broader plan. As people have commented, the world cup is FIFA's cash cow, but current restrictions on timing limit who can bid. Break the tradition and then they can get new candidates bidding and world cups at times that might suit major broadcasters better.

This would be the time for UEFA to step up. They could refuse to participate on the request of their major leagues (this would be easy to arrange) and they could offer an alternative tournament. An extra European Championship with a few guest countries (as they do in the South American tournament).

What's wrong with holding it in Winter?
There's a load of leagues that run on a calendar year and not from the end of one summer to the start of the next.
Why not suit them for a change?

I think it was Blatter, or possibly Platini, who said something along the lines of playing during winter time will only really disrupt English football, so why not favour the many over them for once. I'll try finding the quote

Maybe a naive question but i guess playing in Brazil during summer doesn't look much comfortable or easy than playing in Qatar during the summer?

This world cup will be played in Brazil's winter. According to wiki Qatar's average high temperatures in June / July are 41 degrees C and in Manaus the average is 31 degrees.

I think it was Blatter, or possibly Platini, who said something along the lines of playing during winter time will only really disrupt English football, so why not favour the many over them for once. I'll try finding the quote

I don't doubt that one of these clowns have said this. It still isn't true. A winter World Cup fvcks up the season for almost every country in Europe. In fact it is much worse for the mediteranean countries. Playing league matches in the heat of their summer can't be particularly favourable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar

Lessons we get to learn here:

1. Feudal dictatorships are AOK within FIFA's football family

2. The only people who work in Qatar are the slave labourers brought in from neighbouring regions to do things like, for example, build sport stadiums. (Plenty of time for the native population to go watch football I suppose!)

3. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ can get you anything you want, including a seat at the table with polite society who won't ask too many questions snice you're buying the Champagne.

The whole thing is a fukking obscenity.

=D>

Probably not likely that the FA's of major footballing nations will vote to boycott the event. Too much money sliding around under tables.

That leaves it up to fans to make the difference. Plenty of time to begin organizing boycotts of products and services provided by the major sponsors. A noisy campaign to stop using Gillette razors, stop drinking Coca-Cola, stop driving Hyundai cars, or putting Castrol motor oil in our motors, stop using Johnson&Johnson shampoos or cosmetics and, easiest of all, avoid eating at McDonalds and drinking Burpweiser beer.

Do that on a continent-wide basis and the message would get hammered home. But it would have to begin soon.

It also occurs that if any legal challenges are going to be slapped in regarding the moving of goalposts in the bidding process, might it not be prudent to give Spurs solicitors the first call?

Totally different mate…'tis Brasil's 'winter' thus weather issues will not have much to do with overbearing heat. I think the issue in Qatar is as much for the fans as anything; I thought all the stadia were indoor and air-conditioned no? The whole thing is my favourite buttplug, in fact when I saw Qatar had got it, I remember at the time grimacing (along with a few million other lovers of the game)...

2. The only people who work in Qatar are the slave labourers brought in from neighbouring regions to do things like, for example, build sport stadiums. (Plenty of time for the native population to go watch football I suppose!)

3. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ can get you anything you want, including a seat at the table with polite society who won't ask too many questions snice you're buying the Champagne.

I agree. These are far bigger issues than what season the tournament is held in.

From my perspective, setting aside whether or not it should have been awarded to Qatar in the first place, the impact on the PL season can be minimized fairly easily considering that THIS IS A ONE-OFF AND IS EIGHT-AND-A-HALF YEARS AWAY!!!!!!!!

Just if anyone's interested to see how we'd be affected if a winter World Cup was to happen now so you can see how many players would be away:

Very likely called up

Brazil: Paulinhio, Sandro
England: Lennon, Walker,
Belgium: Chadli, Vertonghen, Dembele
France: Lloris

Potentially called up

Rose, Defoe, Dawson, Soldado

So, if the winter world cup was happening for this world cup then we'd have eight players who'd be very likely to be called up and potentially another four who could make the squad.

I like the idea.

Hopefully this will result in winter breaks in England and Scotland.

I don't see what the problem is?

I can see some of the issues with giving it to Quatar in the first place, although I think they've been overstated. Having the tournament in November-January doesn't seem like a problem to me.

I really didn't like the idea of playing the tournament during the winter, but have been persuaded by the many people who have pointed out that we are not the only country in the world and many countries have to fit the season around the traditional summer World Cups. HOWEVER, Qatar bid for the tournament on the basis that it would be a summer World Cup, what happened to all those air conditioned stadiums? We all know how the world works, it's a cliche but money is the answer to most questions, it's no different in this case, FIFA are bunch of corrupt, backward old geezers. I really don't understand why the other European countries all bow down to FIFA whilst we are seemingly alone when it comes to pointing out the corrupt and negligent nature of their entire organisation.

People say that the monetary system produces incentive this may be true in limited areas but it also produces greed, embezzlement, corruption, pollution, jealousy, anger, crime, war, poverty, tremendous scarcity, and unnecessary human suffering. You have to look at the entire picture. Introduction Lecture - The Venus Project World Tour 2010

Wow - FIFA, what to say. Hahaha. What a bunch of corrupt imbeciles. 'La Cosa Nostra' gets a whole new meaning.

Back