• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fare Evasion

Grays_1890

Colin Calderwood
So I was caught in the peeing rain and Jumped on the 149 from Monument to London Bridge didnt tap my oyster and got asked by plain clothes inspectors to give my name and address without a hint of the reason, they were actually really chipper and was like "dont worry just reply to the letter we send no issue" without twigging what it might be, it ended up being Travel Irregularity Reports with a chance to appeal but the likelyhood of going to court, prosecution and a hefty fine.

- Fare evasion is a crime and is treated as such - anyone found to be deliberately avoiding paying the correct fare for their journey could receive a criminal record and a £1,000 fine

Anyone ever had one of these and whats the likelyhood of a huge fine and an appearence in court?

Surely you'd have a good chance of appealing a large fine? They must be able to see how much you use your oyster card and if you have a long track-record as a fare paying customer, it'd seem reasonable that the most they do is give you a small fine?

So I was caught in the peeing rain and Jumped on the 149 from Monument to London Bridge didnt tap my oyster and got asked by plain clothes inspectors to give my name and address without a hint of the reason, they were actually really chipper and was like "dont worry just reply to the letter we send no issue" without twigging what it might be, it ended up being Travel Irregularity Reports with a chance to appeal but the likelyhood of going to court, prosecution and a hefty fine.

- Fare evasion is a crime and is treated as such - anyone found to be deliberately avoiding paying the correct fare for their journey could receive a criminal record and a £1,000 fine

Anyone ever had one of these and whats the likelyhood of a huge fine and an appearence in court?

What does the letter actually say? Does it give you a fine to pay? Or is it just asking for your version of events?

I can’t imagine they’re going to do much about a £1.20 bus fare other than a small fine (small compared to the £1000 max, not compared to the £1.20fare). Court is usually just for the persistent offenders that they follow and build a case against (according to a tv programme I saw about ticket inspectors or tube staff or something - I am no expert in this area). Plus section 6.1 of this is clear that dragging you to court would have to be in the public interest, which this clearly wouldn’t be : (edit - unless you are a persistent offender :) )
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/revenue-enforcement-and-prosecution-policy.pdf

If the letter is asking for your version, then reply, explain that in the rush to catch the bus and get out of the rain you forgot to tap in. If you are a regular Oyster card user then as Dza suggests, give them your Oyster card number as evidence that you usually pay your way.
My guess is you’ll either hear no more or will get a follow up letter with a fine which it’s probably best to just pay.. Like parking tickets, the appeals process isn’t geared towards applying common sense, it only works if you can prove the fine should not have been issued due to a technicality.

(As an aside, did you just give your name and address without knowing why they wanted it? If so, you’re far more trusting than me!)

Were you actually in a quite different location, and can prove it? Maybe someone else traveling without paying gave your name and address, the bastard.

I had one a few years ago. I was using a young person's Railcard...I was no longer a young person.
I agreed to settle out of court, gave them £50, job done. (I suggested£50, so I probably paid over the odds)

Tell them you thought you had tapped in and admit that if it didn’t happen then it can onky be your fault (that way your still questioning why) as it’s your responsibility

They will fine you a small amount or let you off imo.

Normally You would get they chance to pay it on the spot as a maximum fare

Normally You would get they chance to pay it on the spot as a maximum fare

No the guy was charming, I explained on the spot and he was like "oh thats ok just jot your name an address on the pad and you will get a letter just explain and its cool" so I was almost charmed into not asking for a fine or the alternatives I didnt even know what letter was coming which I imagine had he explained I would have asked more questions and fought more on the spot.

No the guy was charming, I explained on the spot and he was like "oh thats ok just jot your name an address on the pad and you will get a letter just explain and its cool" so I was almost charmed into not asking for a fine or the alternatives I didnt even know what letter was coming which I imagine had he explained I would have asked more questions and fought more on the spot.

As I say, I’d just hold my hands up, highlight its your error and see what they say

That seems quite harsh.

I’ve been caught twice (only times ever without a ticket).

First one they asked name/address and sent a letter requesting a £20 fine.

Second time I politely told them I don’t give out my personal details. They went on about how I had to and said they would get the police, I said no problem, and they moved on to someone else.

There’s no legal requirement to give them your details.

So what happened?

To be honest, this country is going to the dogs and we need to stamp out things like this. I hope they threw the book at you and hit you with the full weight of the law.
If you haven’t been condemned to execution at the Tower of London, hung drawn and quartered, with all four body parts sent to different bus stations around the country to be displayed and serve as a warning to others, then I will be penning a strongly worded letter of complaint to my local MP.

Criminal scum.

Back