• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

excel MACROS help

africanspurs

Justin Edinburgh
hi guys , i am looking for a macro that can locate a piece of text. the thing is that it needs to be dynamic so that it would work for different types of text with different character lengths etfc

does anyone know if they will be able to help with something like this?

Can't you just search for the text?

You have to open the workbook up anyway.

Seems pointless writing functionality that already exists.

You need to be more specific. Are you trying to return the location of the first character of the text string, or a TRUE/FALSE result for each cell, or what?

XL has loads of text functions, just click on the fx button, then choose text in the drop down, then read all the possibilities like =FIND, =SEARCH etc

Reading this thread I started thinking to myself that I'd love to do a course to understand and use Excel properly rather than using about 1% of it's functions as I do now, after I'd taken myself outside and given myself a damn good thrashing and left myself naked and bleeding in the snow for using Love and Excel in the same sentence I would like to modify that to it would be bloody useful to do a course to understand and use Excel properly rather than using about 1% of it's functions as I do now.

A one off masterclass plus Excel For Dummies as a reference book would probably take me way beyond my present knowledge. I don't even know (and haven't Googled) what a pivot table is.

Last edited:
hi guys , i am looking for a macro that can locate a piece of text. the thing is that it needs to be dynamic so that it would work for different types of text with different character lengths etfc

does anyone know if they will be able to help with something like this?

Do you have to do anything once located? Why can't you just use the CTRL + F function or the replace function?

I can write you a macro if need be.

Back