• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emerson Royal

Very good game yesterday ( his best so far), still only 23 and there really is no good reason why he can not carry on learning the role. Not saying he will but so far so good,

He's not going to play Romero in the centre. He wants the central centre back to sit deepest and mop up, that's the opposite of Romero's game.
Didn't Conte's Chelsea win the league with that crazy Luiz who was the CCB and seldom the last man? Quite often he was the DM and dictating play ahead of the RCB and LCB.

Very good game yesterday ( his best so far), still only 23 and there really is no good reason why he can not carry on learning the role. Not saying he will but so far so good,

Thought he was excellent.

Also think it's not a coincidence that this level of performance came when he was playing much closer to a full back role. That's a role we know he's very good at. That's not to take anything away from his performance, doing that against this Liverpool team takes a lot of quality.

I'm still not seeing real signs of him developing as a wing back when we have the ball. Perhaps I'm being harsh, I don't know.

Next seasons overhaul is going to be interesting. I think Conte will keep Royal.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

I think we need at least one new RWB. There's not enough attacking quality there between Doherty and Royal.

To me then it's between the two of them who stays. I think Royal would command a bigger fee given his age. And Doherty has been the better player.

I'm not a big fan of one more attacking and one more defensive option. One injured and you only have the one option. Limiting tactically if you start the more attacking wing back, the only natural sub being to a more defensive wing back. And vice versa. Run of easier games, start the more attacking every game? Then do you change it to someone lacking match fitness when a tougher game comes around.

I think we need two players that can do both rather well at the very least. I think Doherty can.

But yeah, will be interesting. And Royal has potential and some games still this season to show more going forward.

I think we need at least one new RWB. There's not enough attacking quality there between Doherty and Royal.

To me then it's between the two of them who stays. I think Royal would command a bigger fee given his age. And Doherty has been the better player.

I'm not a big fan of one more attacking and one more defensive option. One injured and you only have the one option. Limiting tactically if you start the more attacking wing back, the only natural sub being to a more defensive wing back. And vice versa. Run of easier games, start the more attacking every game? Then do you change it to someone lacking match fitness when a tougher game comes around.

I think we need two players that can do both rather well at the very least. I think Doherty can.

But yeah, will be interesting. And Royal has potential and some games still this season to show more going forward.
Agree that it will be a new RWB plus Doherty/Royal. It’s a tough one to decide who to keep I think? I know Royal isn’t the better wingback right now, but he is only 23 and can get much better as he’s only been learning the role a few months in a completely different league. Doherty has been great recently but at 30 is he going to keep up with Contes high energy game long term? I know I’ll be in the minority but think I’d keep Royal even though we would get more money for him. In a years time I could imagine his output attacking wise getting better, plus he could be the better option in games where the opposition aren’t just sitting back and also to be brought on to close games out or even cover as RCB. But appreciate most would rather Doherty, I don’t think there is a right/wrong answer to be honest….

Agree that it will be a new RWB plus Doherty/Royal. It’s a tough one to decide who to keep I think? I know Royal isn’t the better wingback right now, but he is only 23 and can get much better as he’s only been learning the role a few months in a completely different league. Doherty has been great recently but at 30 is he going to keep up with Contes high energy game long term? I know I’ll be in the minority but think I’d keep Royal even though we would get more money for him. In a years time I could imagine his output attacking wise getting better, plus he could be the better option in games where the opposition aren’t just sitting back and also to be brought on to close games out or even cover as RCB. But appreciate most would rather Doherty, I don’t think there is a right/wrong answer to be honest….

I agree that there probably isn't a right or wrong answer.

For me it will take time for Royal to get significantly better attacking from a RWB position. He doesn't have great technique. Developing that is very difficult. Through better decision making and movement he can improve, again I think it takes time.

For me, where we are now, I think it's right to make some more short term focused decisions. Conte most likely won't be here long term, if he ends up staying longer that will only come through short term success.

We have Kane and Son at their peak, but most likely they won't stay at that peak longer term. We already have quite a few very talented younger players hopefully ready to step up over the coming years to fill some of the void Son and Kane will leave at some point. Developing those will be a lot easier with better short term results and they too need settled short term solutions around them.

As an example next to the RWB we may have Romero, Kulusevski and Skipp as starters. All young or fairly young players, looking likely to develop. I'd rather have them do that with Doherty doing his now proven thing in this system than next to Royal trying to develop an attacking side that may take a couple of years to really get there, if it ever does.

For me, whoever Conte thinks will be the better player next season should stay. I think that's Doherty.

Conte said last week he needs players good enough to deliver a Premiership winning team with aspirations well above battling for 4th place. Doherty, Royal, Davies, Winks, (Sessegnon atm) are nowhere near this level.

I'd say Doherty and Davies are good enough for the squad.

I think thats right. We're 3-4 players short in the first 11 (RWB, LCB, CM etc) and 2-4 short in terms of immediate back-ups (CF, GK, etc) but as part of a 22 man squad, Davies and Doherty would be ok and would probably accept those roles

Emerson Royal was the target of an armed robbery in Brasil last night.

Shots were fired but the Spurs man thankfully survived the ordeal.

[@JovemPanEsporte]

I’ll advised, but, absolutely outstanding all the same! Beautiful photo
Yeah, I'm surprised more wasn't made of it, maybe it was and I missed it. I was expecting a fine of some sort from The FA.
Got to love him for it though, certainly on his way to becoming a cult legend.

His father's called Emerson Zulu!! I think I'd like to party with that family, worth getting shot at for.

Seems a much closer call than first thought.

Royal has now told local TV channel Globo Esporte exactly how close close he came to suffering potentially life-threatening injuries in the ordeal.
He said: “At that moment, GHod controlled me in a way… because it felt like nothing was happening. I approached the bandit, saying ‘calm down, calm down, everyone is calm, I'll give you what you want.’
“When I give him what he wanted, I approach him, because I'd already seen his evil look. I saw that he wasn't just there for the watch.
When I handed it to him, he walked away and unroostered his gun to shoot me. When he was about to shoot me, I pushed him, slapped the gun and he shot in the air. He fired.
It was at that moment, when I pushed him, that he lost his balance and the cop shot him. Then when he hits the shot, the rush starts.
I say, it's GHod at the moment. Because we were in a square, there were 15 people, more or less, in a small square. And he starts shooting everywhere and doesn't hit anyone. He fired 17 or 19 shots, if I'm not mistaken.
He had a gun that was a 9mm, if I'm not mistaken, semi-automatic. It's a weapon that is not normal for a bandit, nor a policeman.
Then I understood that it was a moment that could cost me my life, but it served as a lesson for me to be careful in several situations. I'm calm now.”

Back