• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Don't laugh, how much of a threat are Burnley this season?

Spur of the moment

Frederic Kanoute
We wrote off Leicester a couple of seasons ago and look what happened.

So it's clearly time to start taking Burnley seriously, because all of a sudden they have emerged as real challengers for a top four slot. Like it or not we now have to deal with the chilling possibility that they will be the ones to edge us out of qualification for the CL come the end of the season.

They've already beaten Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, taken two points from visits to both Liverpool and ourselves and developed a habit of winning games against the rest by 1-0, something Leicester were also good at.

So the question is, will they carry on surprising us all right through to the end of the season or will they eventually hit the wall and revert to the norm?

(My secret hope is that by simply posting this thread it will have the same effect as the Everton one.:rolleyes: :D)

Who knows, and like Leicester, for every win they get more and more confident. Most likely they won't be up there at the end, but you never know!

Even more worrying, as with Leicester two seasons ago and Chelsea last yeat they don't have the distraction of European competitions with all the long-distance travelling, twice weekly games and drain on their (admittedly smaller) squad that us and the other top four challengers have to deal with.

Well them getting top four would likely mean both Arse and Liverpool miss out on CL too (although we all know Arse will fluke their way to a EL win). Like with Leicester, they shouldn't be underestimated, so IMO they are a threat to our top four aspirations, alone with Arse, Pool and to an extent Chelski. I think the Manchesters will be top two, but with possibly five teams battling it out for third and fourth, it could be an exciting season.

The thing about Burnley is they have what teams need and that is - They know what they are and the players buy into it. That for me is the biggest thing for most teams, do they have a plan and do the players buy it, if they do it cuts through so much of the issues in football, I really believe that.

Also in Dyche they have another important factor that good bosses have, he creates a bubble round his players and he is a great shield from the front, never slates refs, never gets too up and never gets too down.

People also talk about the cliche of one game at a time but some teams can do that and Burnley seem to do that, take each game at maximum effort, chalk it off and move on.

They have 11 players. Christmas will put them in their place a bit, and no -we dont have to worry about them.

That being said, I really like Dyche and I certainly hope they push on for top 6/EUROPA because it would be massive for him and the club.
I agree.
But, if they can get through it using 13 then they are a threat - the game plan and spirit can carry a squad player through.
Mid Jan will have the answer.

I know much the same was said of Leicester, but I do think there are big differences.

Leicester had some genuine quality, something Burnley really lack. The have virtually no depth, and their best 11 has no stand out players to speak of.

They are, presently, the very definition of "greater than the sum of their parts".

For example, all competitions - in only 5 games (out of 19) they have scored more than 1 goal. (2 goals on four occasions and 3 goals once).

That just isnt something they can continue without dropping points (They have a GD of just 4, the next lowest in the top 7 is 10).

The thing they have, that Leicester did, is the lack of games. It was a huge boost to Leicester to have only one match a week. Time to set up specifically for one opponent

You don't get top 4 by scoring 17 goals in 17 games. Leicester had two good players in absolutely outstanding form in Mahrez and Vardy. Burnley don't have players like that.

I like Dyche, seems a genuine bloke. Doesn't slag off the managers, opposition, his players. He's done a similar thing to Poch and created a real team spirit there and I am pleased he's getting the recognition.

I think their board deserve a bit of credit too. They got relegated, they didn't go for the kneejerk of sacking the manager because they knew he had something about him.

I would love to see them bag 5th spot and shove Arse or 'dippers into 7th, and then one of the top 6 win the FA cup / League Cup, so Europe extends to 7th.....ha ha!

Brilliant manager
Well run club
Players who work harder than the opposition
Well organised on the pitch
A knack of nicking goals and have a genuine mix up front
Also scored the best goal of the season with one touch passing (can’t remember the game)

They won’t finish top 4? But top 7 is a genuine possibility

They don't have enough goals in them imo. Briliant defensively, but it would be hard to defend their way to a top 4 finish. I think you need goals to finish higher up the league.

It is good for Premier League that not only the usual suspects are fighting for top4. Go Burnley! Should we lose out on top 4, it is better to lose out to Burnley than Arsenal and Liverpool, or Chelsea and Manchester united.

Back