1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone suffer from mental illness on here?

Discussion in 'Randomination' started by Danishfurniturelover, 24 Oct 2016.

1. Grays_1890

Grays_1890 Nick Barmby

Good luck with with you are experiencing.

I think for me and what works for me is to have little goals and victories in life very much like your last sentence.

What I realised in the last two or three years which really helped me relax with things like work which would grate on me is that in reality you are only in control of a certain amount in life, you cant control people you work with or you meet day to day and in actual fact people probably wind themselves up more figuring out ways to control everything than taking a more...to quote the film The Gambler.....go fudge yourself attitude. Then you realise that at least in your own universe you deserve better and as long as you wake up and look in the mirror and like whats looking back thats all that counts. And then like I said when you get low or feel like the worlds on your back, set a goal, for me It could be something as silly as booking a ticket to see a film at the BFI and just go and enjoy it or like you, buy yourself something or do something you love..that hit of adrenaline you get can last a long time

2. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Frederic Kanoute

Borderline?

3. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs George Hunt

I’ve stalked this thread a bit abs generally stayed away. My wife has 3 degrees (Shame she can’t sing) and leads a mental health team for the NHS. She also did trained in CBT (basics not the full course) and is generally thick skinned.
    What she regularly comes across are people who don’t want to be helped. So the first hurdle is asking for help.
    The second one then is recognising what is available to help and balancing that with the person. CBT she is a massive fan of but her recommended approach generally other than medically enhanced is trying to create a positive understanding with the person. That’s tough as you have to try to get the person to recognise the good things they have. It’s the toughest part of the job and they have people they spend upto 3 years with just on this
    I don’t know the answers to anyone’s situations but hearing the world my wife works in it makes me thankful for how we are as a family and count our blessings
    I’ll add that my brother is the polar opposite of me and struggles regularly with mental health issues. It’s a trait that half my family have and some have medical treatment for it (tablets, injections etc...)
    I’ll add that if anyone wants to reach out to chat privately I’ll happily listen. I’ve got a big mouth but I’m also a great listener

Dan

4. Grays_1890

Grays_1890 Nick Barmby

If all else fails just pat them on the back and tell them that it was worse during the war

5. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs George Hunt

True

6. philspursuk

philspursuk Nico Claesen

Apologies if anyone has mentioned this before in this thread, but Im currently listening to these podcasts which am finding helpful.
    A different topic each week and Ive yet to find one that isn't relevant.
    https://letstalkaboutmentalhealth.com.au/episodes/
    Available on all the platforms.

7. braineclipse

braineclipse Barry Daines

I'm not sure high levels of happiness over time is or should be the goal. Perhaps in some utopian future, but that soon starts sounding like a dystopia to me.

Sadness, grief, anger, guilt, curiosity, a sense of belonging, purpose and value. Those and others are just as important as happiness.

What can be changed is how one relates to feelings, thoughts, relationships, oneself. It's not easy, it's not linear, but it's possible.

Daisuk likes this.
  8. LutonSpurs

LutonSpurs Tim Sherwood

There's a journey about self belief you have to go on. Your happiness based on others view of you is always a tricky road as it leads to anxiety and habits that let you constantly please folk. You kind of have to learn what is right and wrong for you. Draw those lines clearly and have the confidence in yourself that you are good enough and move with it.

But you can't do this on your own. Learning to like yourself and have confidence in your actions being good for you is something you may need help with. Especially if you suffer from anxiety. Professional help isn't affordable to all but even podcasts like those above may help. Reading books by the likes of Jung if you can hack it helped me.

9. braineclipse

braineclipse Barry Daines

“Never has youth been exposed to such dangers of both perversion and arrest as in our own land and day. Increasing urban life with its temptations, prematurities, sedentary occupations, and passive stimuli just when an active life is most needed, early emancipation and a lessening sense for both duty and discipline…”

Was written in 1904. About what was then the young generation that would go through WW1, a worldwide pandemic, the great depression, then be the parents and grandparents suffering WW2.

I have a strong dislike for the seemingly age old "kids these days" statements.

SteveAWOL and Bedfordspurs like this.
  10. Grays_1890

Grays_1890 Nick Barmby

I was joking BTW as someone said earlier in thread they were bored of hearing peoples mental health was poor now as war was worse...or words to that

braineclipse likes this.
  11. spurspinter1

spurspinter1 Mauricio Taricco

You've changed man...

Mikey10 and nayenezgani like this.
  12. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Paul Walsh

13. Robbo

Robbo Jimmy Neighbour

This. My best therapy is running in the woods. Good for mind and body.

SteveAWOL likes this.
  14. Jurgen the German

Jurgen the German Chris Jones

My partner suffers from seasonal affective disorder during these months. Some nutters prefer winter to summer. Do those people get sad in the summer when the days start getting longer and the sunshine gets stronger?

15. Danishfurniturelover

Danishfurniturelover the prettiest spice girl

Saw some people swimming in the sea yesterday. Think they were doing the cold water therapy thing, off of southwick lighthouse.

Was really impressed with them.

I'm on a good day went up to borough market and got a load of cured Spanish meats and fruit syrups and meat pies.

16. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Johnny Morrison

Didn't know that..I thought it was only the shorter days (ie winter) that br.ought that on?

Last edited: 4 Nov 2020
  17. Bullet

Bullet Cecil Poynton

Layabout. Did you get a cheese sarnie at Kappacasein?

18. Bullet

Bullet Cecil Poynton

That is now. Have you not noticed that it gets dark before you stop working, massively reducing the chance that you fancy going outside after work?

19. markysimmo

markysimmo Johnny nice-tits

I was doing well over 12k steps a day for a long period of spring, summer what with being really busy at work and the weather changing that's stopped now and I can really notice a difference in how I feel am going to force myself to try and do at least 7,500 a day going forward even if it means walking round the block where I live rather than through the fields etc

20. Robbo

Robbo Jimmy Neighbour

Don't want to generalise, of course, but I believe exposure nature to be underrated when it comes to preventing mental illness/problems. Regular trips to the woods, mountains or sea has at least been beneficial in my struggle with inner demons.

Cured Spanish meats surely is good for your well being too, I'm sure.

Rorschach and ricky2tricky4city like this.