1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Dele Alli

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Denmark Spur, 2 Feb 2015.

1. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Pedro Mendes

Moura should be in before son on present form.

Baleforce likes this.
  2. StephenH

StephenH Les Howe

No, not even close.

3. braineclipse

braineclipse Paul Stewart

Meritocracy based on form and recent performances is only one factor that goes into player selection I think. As it should be for me.

Dele has a sky high ceiling, way above Moura's. He's obviously not been playing much, but giving him game time to find match fitness and form is the kind of decision that makes sense.

This was probably the best game Dele could have been given to find some momentum for the rest of the season and going into next season. On one side it's not "fair" on Moura that's done well, on the other side that's football when a hugely talented player is lacking game time and form for whatever reason.

DubSpur and DTA like this.
  4. tw12yid

tw12yid Espen Baardsen

Fair point regarding Lucas deserving the start over Dele. I didn’t really think of it as who deserved the start more the point that to see the best of Dele he’d need some more starts.
    Overall I think Dele has a higher ceiling than Lucas. But could not argue if Lucas started the next game. Assuming he’s back to full fitness as he didn’t train much last week according to Masons interview.

StephenH likes this.
  5. parklane1

parklane1 Tommy Harmer

I believe Moura has been one of our best players over the last few weeks so i think you are spot on.

6. AdamB

AdamB Barry Daines

It might not be a question of Moura or Dele and might just be more a question of what Mason wants from the role

Say Mason decided that he wanted to play Kane, Son and Bale, and also that PEH and GLC were his CM pairing. If he's then looking at the no 10 role and decides he wants someone who is more creative, more physically and could do more deeper, then Dele is the logical choice. If he wants someone to play further up and run at defenders, then its Moura

Alaric, yiddo37 and DTA like this.
  7. Glenda's Legs

Glenda's Legs Nick Barmby

didn’t Mason say Moura hadn’t trained this week? (I think I saw someone mention it in the match thread). So maybe he wasn’t fully well to start?

Bullet likes this.
  8. DubSpur

DubSpur Ramon Vega

One thing that Dele did yesterday that neither Moura or Ndombele do is he continuously moved into space and showed for the ball. He gave the defenders options to pass it forward which has been missing in a lot of games.

9. StephenH

StephenH Les Howe

How true he gave us many more option and they were more penetrating options.

thfcsteff likes this.
  10. metalgear

metalgear Rafael Van Der Vaart

And kept losing possession? 10/10 for a great impersonation of a drunk Captain Jack Sparrow. Sheffield U are a mess... No form no structure just attack.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

11. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Steffen Freund

Yeah, don’t know if the reason for Lucas missing training has been revealed though.

https://www.football.london/tottenh...lts/dele-alli-sheffield-united-mason-20513854

12. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Chris Perry

I thought that Dele was excellent yesterday.

thfcsteff, StephenH and Baleforce like this.
  13. Mosquito_Coasting

Mosquito_Coasting Alan Hutton

I thought he was good too, looked like a refreshed attitude to me. Much more movement.

StephenH likes this.
  14. Benny_Lad

Benny_Lad Jose Dominguez

I agree. Several things stood out to me aside of any execution or things actually coming off.

1. Pressing/Tempo - from the word go he was up and at em. Looked a bit tired late on but that was expected.

2. Showing for the ball - Sounds so basic but our midfield haven’t been brave for a while. One thing Dele will always do is demand the ball.

3. He bounced straight up from a heavy tackle. This indicated to me that he just wanted to play football and leave the silly stuff behind.

4. He was visibly disappointed when things didn’t come off. There were a few - but that’s to be expected with such little game time.

I think if Dele were a new player or youth player that gave that performance many would be excited. We just need to be remain patient.

We also need to reset our expectations of Dele. He’s no longer playing right off Kane. Son and Bale are much higher and he doesn’t have an Eriksen to find those late box runs. The days of 20 goals and 15 assists in a season are probably gone, but that doesn’t mean he can’t be a valuable part of the squad/team.

Finney Is Back, billyiddo and MKSpur like this.
  15. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Steffen Freund

16. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

Absolutely. For me Alli in the 10 is much more suited to a passing/possession game. He has clever passing and can disrupt things with his physicality. Whereas Moura is more direct and good at exploiting space - either tired legs or a team that leaves gaps at the back.

I'm sure it's purely tactical. Mason has gone back to a Poch setup, and Poch had a very specific role for Moura, which wasn't often as a starter.

thfcsteff likes this.
  17. AdamB

AdamB Barry Daines

Yep, one different to the Poch set-up though is that he had Eriksen as a creator in the front 4, whereas the 4 on Sunday didnt have that.

You could argue that Kane is more creative than he used to be, and Bale isnt a pure winger, but that lack of a playmaker is my only concern about the front 4 from the weekend. I guess if a game was tight, we could bring Ndombele in for Dele

18. braineclipse

Excellent towards the end before getting subbed (probably rightly so).

Didn't think he was excellent in the first half, but he was good and looked better than he has in a long time.

Think he will continue to improve with game time, but every game for the rest of the season will be harder than that Sheffield United game.

19. Diamond Lights

Diamond Lights Sebastien Bassong

doing stuff off the ball is helpful (see kane drawing defenders away for Bale 3rd). but ultimately, didn't think Dele did much of note on Sunday and was lucky to not be subbed off.

As others have pointed out, you can not like/rate Moura, but in the No10 role since the turn of the year, he's been one of our best performers, easily up there with Kane and now you can add Bale to that list.

Can argue til the cows come home about "a players ceiling and natural ability" etc - the fact is, Moura has outperformed Dele when given the role in the middle.

20. braineclipse

That is a fact. It's also a fact that this fact doesn't dictate player selection.

Alli getting a chance to find some form could end up being really useful for us.