• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

I would present you early Klopp Liverpool and even current Klopp Pool at times, completely debunks the idea, in fact, they lost there most creative player and scored even more.

If you don't have creativity just concentrate on getting to the front as quickly as possible (look at Pool's passmap I posted in match thread), a very agricultural hit it wide to FB, hit it back into middle, repeat over and over. I'm not advocating hoofball but several times this Spurs side has shown (via Trippier or Toby as examples) that just getting the ball forward at tempo (vs. always trying complex/creative passes) can be just as effective.

I disagree with Carragher, Dele is Jenas, and amazing athlete with ability to run all game, can ghost, play off striker, has an eye for goal, decent pass (better than the comments suggest) can also hold his own in the middle. You watch Dele's best games (similar to Jenas) and you would never state he is an average player.

I'm confused by what I'm reading here. Jenas most certainly was average player. Who cares about his 1 in 10 (overrated) performances on average he was bang average arguably below. I would NOT want Jenas back even now given the horror show that is our CM.

Regarding Liverpool their creativity lies in different spaces to our own. They have Firminho who is more than capable and used to play ACM his hold up and link play is another level to Dele currently. Then obviously they have the dribbling pair of Mane and Salah who aren't lacking creativity either. Winijadum is massively underrated, he's got a great eye and their FBs Alexander-Arnold especially have great vision and passing ranges.

It's kind of a pointless comparison we don't have the same qualities in the same positions. We can of course play more quickly but Liverpool do not hoof the ball, each pass has specific purpose and direction and usually hit their target. We don't have anyone Toby (maybe Ndombele?) aside who is able to hit such accurate lengthy passes

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

Liverpool do not hoof the ball, each pass has specific purpose and direction and usually hit their target. We don't have anyone Toby (maybe Ndombele?) aside who is able to hit such accurate lengthy passes

Unfortunately our best passer is also our leading goalscorer/best striker in England!

I'm confused by what I'm reading here. Jenas most certainly was average player. Who cares about his 1 in 10 (overrated) performances on average he was bang average arguably below. I would NOT want Jenas back even now given the horror show that is our CM.

Dele Alli’s worst prem season still returned more goals than Jenas’ best. One of the most frustrating players I have seen for us, he had all the tools but not the drive.

Dele Alli’s worst prem season still returned more goals than Jenas’ best. One of the most frustrating players I have seen for us, he had all the tools but not the drive.
To be fair to Jenas he played as one of two central midfielders in a standard 4-4-2, not as an attacking, number 10 type player that Dele has tended to play for us.

Regarding Liverpool their creativity lies in different spaces to our own. They have Firminho who is more than capable and used to play ACM his hold up and link play is another level to Dele currently. Then obviously they have the dribbling pair of Mane and Ham Salad who aren't lacking creativity either. Winijadum is massively underrated, he's got a great eye and their FBs Alexander-Arnold especially have great vision and passing ranges.

It's kind of a pointless comparison we don't have the same qualities in the same positions. We can of course play more quickly but Liverpool do not hoof the ball, each pass has specific purpose and direction and usually hit their target. We don't have anyone Toby (maybe Ndombele?) aside who is able to hit such accurate lengthy passes

Again, Jenas was not an average player, he had an average career because of his failure to step it up (to put in the shift), something he readily admits now. If you took highlights of every game against the Scum JJ played, you would think he was a GHod. My point with Dele is very similar (a little more driven) in that type of athletic AM with an eye for good runs and goals, but he could end up with a very average career.

Re Pool, people keep looking at Klopp's final product, his first teams didn't have Firminho, TAA, even think Winijadum was a later add. Early Klopp was long ball hell out wide (there was a stat in his first season or two where they had the worse turnover/loss of possession but it didn't matter, it was a percentage game).

Point being, the real quality in that side is the front 3, and the side is set up to get it to them at tempo. Can you honestly say that our team is setup to get the ball to Kane, Son +Dele/Luca/Lamela? if so what is the tactic? because I'm missing it.

Again, Jenas was not an average player, he had an average career because of his failure to step it up (to put in the shift), something he readily admits now. If you took highlights of every game against the Scum JJ played, you would think he was a GHod. My point with Dele is very similar (a little more driven) in that type of athletic AM with an eye for good runs and goals, but he could end up with a very average career.

Re Pool, people keep looking at Klopp's final product, his first teams didn't have Firminho, TAA, even think Winijadum was a later add. Early Klopp was long ball hell out wide (there was a stat in his first season or two where they had the worse turnover/loss of possession but it didn't matter, it was a percentage game).

Point being, the real quality in that side is the front 3, and the side is set up to get it to them at tempo. Can you honestly say that our team is setup to get the ball to Kane, Son +Dele/Luca/Lamela? if so what is the tactic? because I'm missing it.

Bro wtf am i reading here? What kind of reasoning is that. He's not average because if you take just his best highlights against a specific opponent he looks good? That's a nonsense arguement. Every midfielder who has ever played the game can be made to look like Ghod if you just took highlights of their best performances. What makes a player is not the rare occasion they play well it's the consistent level of performance.

Of course we aren't setup to get the best out of our attackers we have a mediocre midfield comprising Sissoko and Winks. As someone else labelled them 'Cant pass, won't pass'

But let's make no excuses for Dele in his own performances he has been poor. Holding on to the ball for 10 minutes and getting robbed of the ball is no one but his own fault. His indecision is something he has always suffered from bit his goal scoring counter balanced that now without the goals we just have a player who tries unnecessary flicks and keeps the ball too long.

Klopp has a clear system of play and has brought In players to fit said system, we also used to have a system of play but that has long since vanished.

Bro wtf am i reading here? What kind of reasoning is that. He's not average because if you take just his best highlights against a specific opponent he looks good? That's a nonsense arguement. Every midfielder who has ever played the game can be made to look like Ghod if you just took highlights of their best performances. What makes a player is not the rare occasion they play well it's the consistent level of performance.

Of course we aren't setup to get the best out of our attackers we have a mediocre midfield comprising Sissoko and Winks. As someone else labelled them 'Cant pass, won't pass'

But let's make no excuses for Dele in his own performances he has been poor. Holding on to the ball for 10 minutes and getting robbed of the ball is no one but his own fault. His indecision is something he has always suffered from bit his goal scoring counter balanced that now without the goals we just have a player who tries unnecessary flicks and keeps the ball too long.

Klopp has a clear system of play and has bought In players to fit said system, we also used to have a system of play but that has long since vanished.

I think you are missing the difference between average players who have the odd good game, and good players who never manage to be consistent enough (Marcus Edwards .. not an average player), Jenas had the tools, as does Dele.

Don't' disagree that it's Dele's fault, just disagree it's laziness ..

The highlighted is the issue, and the manager is the guy paid to solve that.

I think you are missing the difference between average players who have the odd good game, and good players who never manage to be consistent enough (Marcus Edwards .. not an average player), Jenas had the tools, as does Dele.

Don't' disagree that it's Dele's fault, just disagree it's laziness ..

The highlighted is the issue, and the manager is the guy paid to solve that.
No we just disagree about output. I don't care what you can do on the training pitch I only care about your performances and on performances Jenas was as average a player as they come. He was literal definition the odd good game against a litany of brick ones.

Dele remains to be seen, he's already had more good games than Jenas had so I'm a lot more positive on Dele.

No we just disagree about output. I don't care what you can do on the training pitch I only care about your performances and on performances Jenas was as average a player as they come. He was literal definition the odd good game against a litany of brick ones.

Dele remains to be seen, he's already had more good games than Jenas had so I'm a lot more positive on Dele.

Jenas 39 Prem goals.
Dele 43 - (23 years old).

Admittedly Dele spent a fair amount of time off Kane but if it works....

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/nov/01/mauricio-pochettino-dele-alli-criticism

Mauricio Pochettino has backed Dele Alli to come good and looks forward to the England international being “a bit naughty” on the pitch.

Alli is one of many Tottenham players who have underperformed this season but the 23-year-old was singled out by Sky pundits for criticism after last weekend’s defeat at Liverpool. Spurs are 11th in the Premier League going in Sunday’s game at Everton, and Pochettino has backed the player brought in from Milton Keynes four years ago to help the club climb the table.

“We know very well that Dele is going to be back,” he said. “His mentality is good. Always you need time to recover the feelings and performance after a tough period. The most difficult thing is to know how long it will take to be again at your best. As long as you are consistent and working hard, you are going to arrive again, though, because the quality is there. The only thing is, the competition do not wait.”

Pochettino drew comparison to an earlier period in Alli’s career where the player came under criticism for, among other things, giving the bird to his England teammate Kyle Walker. Talking about the “devil” in his player, the manager said: “It’s still there inside of him. If you go back, we all criticised him. But I said I liked this Dele Alli, because sometimes players being a bit naughty makes that difference. The devil is going to appear again. I don’t know when. But for sure it will.”

Alli’s mentality came in for criticism this week, with Gary Neville labelling him “half the player he was” and Graeme Souness suggesting Alli had “taken his eye off the ball”. Pochettino brushed off criticism from pundits and said he would never become one. “Sometimes you get upset when you read or you listen but when you are mature you understand that that is the business: if you go to the TV you need to say something,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/nov/01/mauricio-pochettino-dele-alli-criticism

Alli’s meteorology came in for criticism this week, with Gary Neville labelling him “half the player he was” and Graeme Souness suggesting Alli had “taken his eye off the ball”. Pochettino brushed off criticism from pundits and said he would never become one. “Sometimes you get upset when you read or you listen but when you are mature you understand that that is the business: if you go to the TV you need to say something,” he said.

This is bang on, pundits are paid a good wedge to flimflam and most of the time they say all sorts of brick to fill that time. Funny how so many fans slag of pundits but take bits of what they say as gospel.

Whole team bar two players was poor. The fact that he is gettting in and around the goals again is a plus. I believe he can work his way back to form and is worth sticking with him in the team. Get him in and around Kane and back firing and we will feel the benefits of that.

Don't disagree, the problem is we can't carry 3 or 4 players hoping to play them back into form simultaneously

Don't disagree, the problem is we can't carry 3 or 4 players hoping to play them back into form simultaneously
agree with that as well. Keep Dele in the team, the rest need to be drop for players who at least put in the energy and performance.

Back