• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Danny Rose

I think one of the best things about Rose's game in our current lineup is that his first thought is always "forward." We have a lot of side-to-side play, but we need players like Rose and Son who get the ball at their feet and either want to run or pass it forwards as the first choice.

Players like this force the opposition backwards and this then creates more space for technical players like Eriksen to operate.

If we had a player doing what Rose does but on the right flank, we'd look really good imo.

I haven't seen the stats tbf but would be surprised if Davies picked out our players more often than Rose.

Thats what they said.

Davies crossed less, but with more accuracy/quality.

Statistically the difference between them (at that point) was actually minimal.

Both solid defensively, both 'meh' offensively.

The difference seems to be that Rose is "dynamic" - whatever that actually means - which seems to trick people into thinking he is more productive going forward.

Id actually argue he is LESS productive.

Davies uses the ball very efficiently, keeps play moving, pass and moves very well.

Rose tends to bomb along, smash the ball into no one, or lose it dribbling/get turned over - far more often than he does so successfully.

For me, keeping the ball is more valuable to the team.

Davies is too beige
Love Rose...

They actually compliment each other and give Poch different options.

THIS!

I wouldn't normally be too disappointed to see Davies in the starting line up - but when it's at the expense of Danny Rose who gives absolutely everything in every time?? Well there's just no contest!

However i think unfortunately Poch will rotate for Chelsea and BD will start. He's less of an attacking threat but I think that'll suit Poch's stance given defending a slender lead. Also gives us the option of bringing Rose's energy on in the latter stages that could work in either event - closing a game down with pace and tenacity. Or an extra attacking threat should we be needing goals.

Also recall Hudson-Odoi being a fair threat down that flank, and Poch may fancy BD to sit deeper and protect.

Thats what they said.

Davies crossed less, but with more accuracy/quality.

Statistically the difference between them (at that point) was actually minimal.

Both solid defensively, both 'meh' offensively.

The difference seems to be that Rose is "dynamic" - whatever that actually means - which seems to trick people into thinking he is more productive going forward.

Id actually argue he is LESS productive.

Davies uses the ball very efficiently, keeps play moving, pass and moves very well.

Rose tends to bomb along, smash the ball into no one, or lose it dribbling/get turned over - far more often than he does so successfully.

For me, keeping the ball is more valuable to the team.

Davies is a steady Eddie type player. Nice footballer, neat and tidy but nothing more really. Rose IMO is better going forward and defensively, quicker, more physical and is the kind of street wise player you need in big games. He's a narky fudger too but doesn't lose his head like he did when he first signed for us. I know who I would rather start against Chelsea on Thursday. He has an edge to his game like Alli does.

I think one of the best things about Rose's game in our current lineup is that his first thought is always "forward." We have a lot of side-to-side play, but we need players like Rose and Son who get the ball at their feet and either want to run or pass it forwards as the first choice.

Players like this force the opposition backwards and this then creates more space for technical players like Eriksen to operate.

If we had a player doing what Rose does but on the right flank, we'd look really good imo.

People say very similar about Sissoko, but you have to ask - what does it actually result in?

Bursting forward in and of itself is actually of limited value, IMO. It needs to be followed up with a key pass, cross, some sort of meaningful action.

And it is here where Rose is left wanting more often than not.

Thats not so say he is "bad". Im not arguing that at all, I know he is a decent player - I just cant comprehend just why he is so highly rated here. I think its OTT.

Davies is a steady Eddie type player. Nice footballer, neat and tidy but nothing more really. Rose IMO is better going forward and defensively, quicker, more physical and is the kind of street wise player you need in big games. He's a narky fudger too but doesn't lose his head like he did when he first signed for us. I know who I would rather start against Chelsea on Thursday. He has an edge to his game like Alli does.

Davies is plenty aggressive as well. He is just quiet and understated in his demeanor.

And ultimately THAT seems to be what he is judged upon. Davies is "boring" and Rose is "dynamic" (whatever that actually means) and that seems to be about as far as people are paying attention.

How exactly is Rose better going forward? When his crosses are less consistent, and his runs less productive, and his ability to keep the ball less developed?

Its not like he gets more assists, or goals, or key passes. He actually doesnt - they are about the same (I think Davies ahead on goals)

What he does do (and Ill need to check) is lose the ball more.

Again - defensively they are statistically VERY similar. Id argue Davies is better in his versatility, he can drop into a back 3 with ease. Rose better in 1 on 1 situations. He likes to "defeat his man".

BUT - tangibly there is little between them.

The real difference is Roses 100mph style vs Davies more considered/subtle style.

I think Rose has the highest ceiling of any of the fullbacks we have had for a long time. I might be forgetting someone but I always thought he was more talented than Walker.

At 28 (29 in Jul), do you see him getting better? Or, despite having potential, this is basically him now?

Walker is a limited footballer, but great athlete.

I think this level he has now is very high, not far off his peak of a couple of years ago. I think he has two and a half years left on his contract, I expect him to be here for that time. Bit like the way Verts and Dembele ended their peaks with us. I'm delighted he has turned his form around. Hopefully he can stay injury free.

He’s been excellent in the games I’ve seen this season and better than Davies. I know his style of play is more likely to find favour with fans but I do believe he’s simply a better player in this sort of form. At this point, he’d be my first choice.

He seems to love the club now, or so it shows from his celebrations when we score. I always look to players celebrations when we score and he seems so happy. I know Pochettino wants all of the players to touch each other (oooh matron) when we score but yesterday and the rest of the squad went crazy.

He is my first choice too. Hopefully he can stay injury free for the rest of the season and make it his number one spot.

People say very similar about Sissoko, but you have to ask - what does it actually result in?

Bursting forward in and of itself is actually of limited value, IMO. It needs to be followed up with a key pass, cross, some sort of meaningful action.

Thats not so say he is "bad". Im not arguing that at all, I know he is a decent player - I just cant comprehend just why he is so highly rated here. I think its OTT.

Davies is plenty aggressive as well. He is just quiet and understated in his demeanor.

And ultimately THAT seems to be what he is judged upon. Davies is "boring" and Rose is "dynamic" (whatever that actually means) and that seems to be about as far as people are paying attention.

How exactly is Rose better going forward? When his crosses are less consistent, and his runs less productive, and his ability to keep the ball less developed?

Its not like he gets more assists, or goals, or key passes. He actually doesnt - they are about the same (I think Davies ahead on goals)

Again - defensively they are statistically VERY similar. Id argue Davies is better in his versatility, he can drop into a back 3 with ease. Rose better in 1 on 1 situations. He likes to "defeat his man".

The real difference is Roses 100mph style vs Davies more considered/subtle style.
I think they are two similar level FBs with very different styles. Both are solid defenders in different ways, and both occupy attacking areas in different ways but ultimately theres not much between them which is why this who is better debate crops up every month or two - usually after one of them has had a run in the side and showing some good form.....

I already said what it results in -- more space for other players to work. It forces opposing players to go back towards their own goal rather than attacking ours. Where Rose is different to Sissoko is that Rose gets the ball and immediately looks to pass/run forward. Sissoko doesn't have the confidence or technical ability to do that; he gets the ball and his immediate thought is to pass so that he doesn't lose it (not necessarily a bad thing, play to your strengths).

All teams need direct players, there is no side in the world (that is any good) that doesn't have them -- and the best two teams in England have plenty of them, including their fullbacks. We don't have many, especially with Son out. So, imo, Rose becomes more important. If it's 11 plodders/safety first players, then teams can defend more aggressively against us, which makes life harder for players like Winks, Eriksen etc.

Then you can add intangibles that certain players bring, particularly in derby games and home games. Some players just do things that get the crowd up, that swing the momentum of games our way. There are no stats for this, but imo it's an important part of football, the flip-side of going away from home and quietening the crowd. A player making a hard run at an opponent, drawing a foul, the crowd is up, the team is on the front foot. I've seen Spurs on the receiving end of this enough times over the years to know it's a thing, even if we can't measure it in stats. Rose is one of those players imo.

So lets now say we like them both?

tenor.gif

Its not like he gets more assists, or goals, or key passes. He actually doesnt - they are about the same
(I think Davies ahead on goals)

Whilst Rose's end product may not always be that effective, I still feel his marauding runs and ability to get to the by-line create a much bigger problem for opponents than when they have to deal with what Davies offers.
Sometimes it's just about getting numbers in the attacking third and knowing there's a threat there, rather than it having to result in a key pass or direct assist.

Intercepting a BD cross into the box for example seems to be far easier for defenders to deal with than trying to handle an extra player on the flank in Rose. The way he links up with Son and midfielders, cute one-twos to get into box. He causes panic and is a penalty threat to an extent. He has a tendency to get shots away far more frequently than Davies. Rarely do i see him being caught out positionally from being too far up the pitch, if anything he prevents opposition from pushing on in fear of leaving him space.

I just don't get that threat from BD. He may offer something else defensively, but for me that support was more useful when we were fielding the likes of Foyth. BD is conservative, but not without his defensive frailties. And his lack of pace has been exposed before on more than one occasion.

I believe Rose at his best (which is near enough has been for the last couple of months) is better than Davies at his best. Certainly can't recall any performances from Davies that matched Rose at the Nou Camp for example. Davies is fine and dependable and I'd be sorry if we sold him but as others have said, Rose is more aggressive and has an edge to his game which is vital when you play the big teams.

Not sure why you keep using the word "dynamic" in every post. I haven't used it once to describe him.

Back