• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Anyone else heard anything about us being bought by Google? A friend sent me a link from a thread on it over at Spurs Community.

That is a problem with modern football itself and how success in the game is so dependent on money - it's not the current owners fault that the previous owners left us so far behind the leading pack.

Despite being at that disadvantage we've had teams good enough to do the business the last 10 years and it's not the owners fault that the managers weren't able to get us over the line.

I agree - to an extent. A counter-argument would be that we are owned by a multi-billionaire who has had chances , on at least two occasions, to make an investment of around £100 million or so that could very well have seen us get over the line, and would have really established us as one of the very top sides.

Blaming the previous owners for today’s problems is like the Tories continuing to blame Labour when the country has been under the Conservative’s watch for a decade now.

I agree - to an extent. A counter-argument would be that we are owned by a multi-billionaire who has had chances , on at least two occasions, to make an investment of around £100 million or so that could very well have seen us get over the line, and would have really established us as one of the very top sides.

Blaming the previous owners for today’s problems is like the Tories continuing to blame Labour when the country has been under the Conservative’s watch for a decade now.

It's easy when you get close and miss out to say more money would have got us over the line but i think if you look at our transfer record/success rate especially at the higher end that is no guarantee, this summer included, when the harder hitting truth is just that the managers/players already in place were good enough to get the job done and simply just failed to do so. Redknapp let us down in 2 semi finals where we were the favourites to go on and win the trophy and Pochettino had the best or second best team in the country over a 2-3 year period before things went south and eventually left empty handed, in both instances the managers were very well placed to win trophies, if they couldn't do it in that position what's to say they would have with further investment? (a Ndombele and a Lo Celso?)

And with regards to your last sentence i think that just kinds ignores the context that my post was attempting to highlight, which is basically that in order to get this club to the top the task is to close the financial gap to those already there, a gap that was present upon ENICs arrival.

And to add, as we've now done that (as the latest money leagues show) the task is now to invest in the team so that we can compete on the pitch with those same teams - obviously that remains to be seen and some supporters are clearly having difficulty in understanding that because we didn't spend while the stadium build was a thing it doesn't mean that we won't spend now that it is over. (Especially when that is the whole point of the stadium)

Last edited:
It's easy when you get close and miss out to say more money would have got us over the line but i think if you look at our transfer record/success rate especially at the higher end that is no guarantee, this summer included, when the harder hitting truth is just that the managers/players already in place were good enough to get the job done and simply just failed to do so. Redknapp let us down in 2 semi finals where we were the favourites to go on and win the trophy and Pochettino had the best or second best team in the country over a 2-3 year period before things went south and eventually left empty handed, in both instances the managers were very well placed to win trophies, if they couldn't do it in that position what's to say they would have with further investment? (a Ndombele and a Lo Celso?)

And with regards to your last sentence i think that just kinds ignores the context that my post was attempting to highlight, which is basically that in order to get this club to the top the task is to close the financial gap to those already there, a gap that was present upon ENICs arrival.

And to add, as we've now done that (as the latest money leagues show) the task is now to invest in the team so that we can compete on the pitch with those same teams - obviously that remains to be seen and some supporters are clearly having difficulty in understanding that because we didn't spend while the stadium build was a thing it doesn't mean that we won't spend now that it is over. (Especially when that is the whole point of the stadium)
Well you could argue and I would that in both instances the managers were massively over performing to pro rata to investment and expectations. In both instances we missed out due to lacking that little bit of extra quality, (a striker on Harry's days, and a quality creative player from deep for Poch) a little bit of additional investment may well have given that extra boost we needed in those situations.

Now I'm not one who criticises ENIc for not investing their personal wealth into the club, that isn't their model and never has been but we would be a little naive to suggest that we were ever truly competing on equal financial footing with our rivals.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

Well you could argue and I would that in both instances the managers were massively over performing to pro rata to investment and expectations. In both instances we missed out due to lacking that little bit of extra quality, (a striker on Harry's days, and a quality creative player from deep for Poch) a little bit of additional investment may well have given that extra boost we needed in those situations.

Now I'm not one who criticises ENIc for not investing their personal wealth into the club, that isn't their model and never has been but we would be a little naive to suggest that we were ever truly competing on equal financial footing with our rivals.

The club as a whole was over performing by helping provide the managers with teams that were widely considered the best/second/third best in the league at various points - if you have that level of team i don't think a lack of quality can be used as an excuse as to why you didn't win trophies. Portsmouth knocked us out of the cup as did Uniteds second string and a terribly performing Chelsea (twice) - quality was not an issue in those instances, imo - like i said you can always point to where you could be stronger as a team but facts are we were outperforming each of those sides who beat us at the time and we were actual favourites for each game (i believe) so for me quite plainly it was not an issue of quality. And they're just the games we reached the latter stages in, there are plenty of other times we were knocked out as the stronger side, again not an issue of quality.

Regarding the second point i was not saying we were competing on a level footing, in fact i was saying the complete opposite?

Last edited:
The club as a whole was over performing by helping provide the managers with teams that were widely considered the best/second/third best in the league at various points - if you have that level of team i don't think a lack of quality can be used as an excuse as to why you didn't win trophies. Portsmouth knocked us out of the cup as did Uniteds second string and a terribly performing Chelsea (twice) - quality was not an issue in those instances, imo - like i said you can always point to where you could be stronger as a team but facts are we were outperforming each of those sides who beat us at the time and we were actual favourites for each game (i believe) so for me quite plainly it was not an issue of quality. And they're just the games we reached the latter stages in, there are plenty of other times we were knocked out as the stronger side, again not an issue of quality.

Regarding the second point i was not saying we were competing on a level footing, in fact i was saying the complete opposite?

My second point wasn't really directed at you sorry if I came across like that it was more of a general statement.

With regards over performing you can only do it for so long and take it so far. We massively over performed to the extent that during Poch tenure we began to be thought of as one of the best sides in the country yet at the start of those seasons that wouldn't have been the case. Also in our circumstance I really do think the arguement of a lack of quality is valid.

When you try to play attacking passing football at the high end the difference between success and failure is very thin. It's where that quality striker in Harry's team would have made all the difference. I don't know of you remember how many high quality chances a game we would create but were just unable to capitalise on because of the low quality of our finishing and yes that includes Defoe, Pav and Crouch. They simply did not match the quality of the rest of the side, it was very much trying to trying to cut a slice of bread with a blunt spoon. So of course we came up short in the most tense moments, the team wasn't truly balanced we had the best midfield in the PL but a relatively brick forward line and that over performance from the midfield that got us to the precipice wasn't enough to get over the final step and continue to cover for the strikers. The same happened with Poch but just that the lack was in centre midfield instead of the forward line.

All imo of course but that's why yes I do think a couple of additions would have turned those teams from also rans and almosts to actual winners. We will never know of course but I truly believe that to be the case, we got got very close but never we truly had the most talent it was because especially under Poch we worked harder than others.

Chelsea and Man Utd typically have bigger, deeper squads that we do. When it comes to games such as semi finals that occur later in the season the clubs that invest more in their squads tend to have an advantage as they are fresher. It is no coincidence that the teams with the biggest wage and transfer budgets win 95% of the trophies.

Re: Google rumours

One thing not mentioned is how they have spent years developing the idea of a “smart city” but are struggling to put it into practice.

If they bought us they would have 60k punters each week, the hotel, flats etc. as a testing ground for their ideas.

Also probably a willing council to buy more properties / land and expand. Tottenham as a whole could be heavily integrated by Google — really it would be the perfect area to do this.

Re: Google rumours

One thing not mentioned is how they have spent years developing the idea of a “smart city” but are struggling to put it into practice.

If they bought us they would have 60k punters each week, the hotel, flats etc. as a testing ground for their ideas.

Also probably a willing council to buy more properties / land and expand. Tottenham as a whole could be heavily integrated by Google — really it would be the perfect area to do this.
Can't see it.

Chelsea and Man Utd typically have bigger, deeper squads that we do. When it comes to games such as semi finals that occur later in the season the clubs that invest more in their squads tend to have an advantage as they are fresher. It is no coincidence that the teams with the biggest wage and transfer budgets win 95% of the trophies.

So presumably then you would agree it's unfair to hold our owners to account for the lack of trophies as until the stadium is up and running (now) we haven't been in a position to compete financially with the teams above us?

So then you would agree it's unfair to hold our owners to account for the lack of trophies as until the stadium is up and running (now) we haven't been in a position to compete financially with the teams above us?
That is fair but you can also see why those who want just a bit of investment in the team would be frustrated? They see the proximity to success and the relatively small additions needed to finish the job.

As I said that isn't necessarily my complaint as I've never expected ENIC to input their own money into the playing side but I can see the arguement and understand it.

Last edited:
Can't see it.

Sidewalk Labs (Google’s smart city division) are looking for places to put their ideas into practice. A “Smart” stadium, hotel etc would do this for them.

But yeah whether it would be with us seems unlikely.

Would quite like Chick King delivered by drone within a 1 mile radius of the shop though.

That is fair but you can also see why those who want just a bit of investment in the team would be frustrated? They see the proximity to success and the relatively small additions needed to finish the job.

As I said that isn't necessarily my complaint as I've never expected ENIC to input their own money into the playing side but I can see the summer and understand it.

I get the frustration of course and it is a feeling that i share, being so close and missing out at a time when we have one hand tied behind our back.

I felt Poch was let down and not backed enough within our capabilities, that doesn't mean i think he was held back from winning trophies by a lack of investment and ultimately over all my gripes there i know and appreciate it's the stadium that took precedent during the period between the latter half of Redknapps time and today.

To add :

Which is something i just don't think those who are anti Levy fully appreciate, the stadium - pre build, build, playing at Wembley, delay to moving in, final build cost and final financing put in place - all that encompasses close to a ten year period up to and including 2019, it was a huge undertaking which if mismanaged had the potential to bury the club or set us back decades - it had to take priority over all else and so many people just bat it off as though it was a minor inconvenience and call him a tight unambitious clam because we weren't buying big in the market at the same time.

To add :

Which is something i just don't think those who are anti Levy fully appreciate, the stadium - pre build, build, playing at Wembley, delay to moving in, final build cost and final financing put in place - all that encompasses close to a ten year period up to and including 2019, it was a huge undertaking which if mismanaged had the potential to bury the club or set us back decades - it had to take priority over all else and so many people just bat it off as though it was a minor inconvenience and call him a tight unambitious clam because we weren't buying big in the market at the same time.

He wasn't a tight clam at all. We actually bought 26 players during the Poch era! Record signings as well - Sanchez, Sissoko and latterly LoCelso and NDombele. The problem was identifying and buying the right players to take us forward in that era. We patently didn't.

Back