1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Cristian Romero

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by AdamB, 6 Aug 2021.

1. papaspur

papaspur Steve Hodge

He wasn't bad on Sunday but Romero does make him look better in some games. I will probably have that pass to Sanchez against Brentford forever etched into my memory though.

SteveAWOL likes this.
  2. awesome dawson

awesome dawson Mitchell Thomas

Have no fear, the original Lord of the Pings is here and watching!

For what it's worth I think Dawson was more comparable with Dier than Romero. He got his head to anything and everything that came his way. His tackling was solid enough and his commitment to the cause, unquestioned. Daws and King balanced each other nicely. Romero is better on the ball than all of them put together but I think Dawson's long passing was superior to everyone's other than Toby's.

3. braineclipse

braineclipse Gary Stevens

That's certainly a timely post. Any insight on what will happen this weekend?

All players have faults that can be exploited.

I don't think he's too aggressive. There are times when he's aggressive and it doesn't work out, that will happen. If his success rate with being aggressive could be quantified I think it would be really high.

The only way to avoid those instances would be by being a lot less aggressive. That too can be exploited.

Less obvious, less visible when a player is more passive and it results in a goal against. They were in the right position, did all they could do kind of thing. When it goes wrong for Romero it's blatant, obvious.

I love his aggression, I think he's finding a really good balance between that and staying in position. He's winning the ball so often, yet we're only seeing a couple of instances of it going wrong. I'm sure there would have been other goals conceeded had he played an overall less aggressive style. And fewer goals scored by us in the mix. The balance he has now I think we can and should live with.

4. papaspur

papaspur Steve Hodge

Commentators/pundits will keep creaming their pants over him? I guess my overall point was that even extremely highly-rated players will give away penalties or be caught out of position at times.
    To your point about aggression, I can never emphasize enough how important this is. It's a combination of tackling ability (players moving at pace, having to make an inch-perfect tackle at high speed), and doing so higher up the pitch knowing that there's two other CBs and maybe even one of the midfielders behind covering. Romero seems to have a really good positional sense and good decision making, but IMO this is all held together by his composure. Some of our other defenders just try to close space down to opposition players without engaging, which is mostly just trying to block a shot or cross/pass. I much prefer the proactive approach of winning the ball back with the bonus of putting the fear of GHod into the other team's players.

5. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Andy Thompson

6. parklane1

parklane1 Terry Dyson

I know he has not been here long but i have voted for him to be our player of the season. The guy has everything and he will improve the more he plays here.

7. braineclipse

braineclipse Gary Stevens

Gave the ball away a bit too often against Liverpool. But defensively he was excellent once again.

At one point, having very recently given the ball away, he looked a bit flustered, stressed. But very quickly settled back down. And kept trying to do useful things with the ball. I cannot overstate how important I think that is.

8. alekaras

alekaras The ITK of IDK

Any update on his injury? Is he out for the season, or will he be back against Burnley?

9. Pirate55

Pirate55 The Last Man Standing 17/18

Anyone know the extent of it?

10. superspurs

superspurs Jonathan Woodgate

Hip injury, something that appears to be a longstanding issue with him, he had to have injections in his hip before the Copa final last year.

Am hoping it's something we're managing instead of something that is going to be a real issue. First game he's missed since January so hope it's not that big an issue long term.

11. alekaras

alekaras The ITK of IDK

Just what we need. Another talented Argie that's perma crocked.

Robbo and metalgear like this.
  12. metalgear

metalgear Jack Jull

Or another world class CB that's perma crocked. The way he plays, he's going to have a shorter career than most defenders.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

13. Bullet

Bullet Steffen Freund

After 5 mins, Conte says Cuti does not have the possibility to recover for the last 2 games

14. Lilbaz

Lilbaz Michael Carrick

That is a blow. Burnley and norwich though. If we keep our heads we should win.

15. billyiddo

billyiddo Garth Crooks Staff Member

What about the next 2?

AdamB and Crab.C.Nesbitt like this.
  16. markysimmo

markysimmo Johnny nice-tits

Out for rest of the season with a hip injury

17. metalgear

metalgear Jack Jull

King's curse

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

18. Grays_1890

Grays_1890 Pedro Mendes

Massive shame, one of the best in the league but seems we are closer to the Poch days now where people step in and know their roles, Sanchez was great yesterday

papaspur likes this.
  19. Robbo

Robbo Chris Perry

With Doherty, Romero, Skipp, Tanganga and Reguilon out injured, there should be enough precedent to get our remaining games postponed.

20. Dicko

Dicko Jonathan Woodgate

We should go around making sure everyone else knows we have 4 first team starters all out and it's not fair

Robbo likes this.