1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Cristian Romero

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by AdamB, 6 Aug 2021.

1. spurspinter1

spurspinter1 Chris Armstrong

The post in question made me wish there was a dislike button on the forum.

DTA likes this.
  2. Bishop

Bishop Mauricio Taricco

Dawson objectively not a good defender. In his time we conceded less than 40 goals just once, and over 50 goals on for occasions. He was NOT a good defender. He was blessed to sometimes play with Lesley. Take King and we saw the real Dawson and that was not a good sight.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

3. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin John Lacy

That's a nonsense way to evaluate an individual defender...

In 2009/10, we conceded 41 goals in 38 games. Dawson played much of that season with Bassong alongside him. Seems decent to me.

This season, we've already conceded 39 goals. I assume Romero will objectively be "not a good defender" if we concede two or more goals between now and the end of the season?

I also assume Ledley was "objectively not a good defender" given his record is probably the same as Dawson's.

Last edited: 3 May 2022
    Robbo, harr1984, DTA and 1 other person like this.
  4. metalgear

metalgear Jack Jull

I think it's the other way around.
    Romero helps Dier look good.
    Imo, Romero can get better in his current position if we get better CB than Dier, or move to CCB and upgrade on our LCB and RCB. CCB is where I think Romero will truly shine with his vision and ability to ping balls forward.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

papaspur likes this.
  5. Bishop

Bishop Mauricio Taricco

No he just wasn't a good defender. Mediocre would be a good description of him. The stats just back that up. By all means rate his enthusiasm and mentality but he was average and wouldn't get into most backlines we've since the era he joined. He was poor on the ball and incredibly easy to dribble past if you had any degree of trickery.

And yes 40+ goals conceded in any season is objectively poor. We can and need to do a lot better than that if we want to take our league season seriously.

Lesley had to play with the likes of Dawson, of course his record isn't great.

6. braineclipse

braineclipse David Ginola

I think RCB in this system is perfect for him. Allows him to do his aggression thing while having a player covering for him. He's very good on the ball and also good on the ball under pressure. It's a good use of his qualities to have him play in a role where he is often put under more pressure rather than the central CB that often gets a bit more space and time.

He's even useful roaming forward when we attack from this role.

No doubt he could play CCB. But to get the most out of him we would have to tweak our system with him still being more aggressive and the wider centre backs doing more covering.

metalgear and ricky2tricky4city like this.
  7. JerusalemMan

JerusalemMan Nick Barmby

Wrong. (if it really is an honest view and not just a Mr Controversial fake opinion)
    He played well for a top ten club in the highest tier of English football, being first choice for a number of years. He was at least a good defender.
    Not the best, not world class. Not quite international class. But certainly good.

Maybe you're spoiled/distorted by only watching the best clubs and the very best players, but across the spectrum of professional football, he ranks highly.

Robbo, harr1984, DTA and 4 others like this.
  8. spurspinter1

No one is trying to make out he was Maldini but if you haven’t picked up on the general tone, allow me to explain - Perhaps it’d be a positive thing to show some respect to a great servant of the club, who gave his best every week leading to some of the most exciting times for our club in the modern era. Might be a bit more classy than emojis, nicknames and illogical arguments.

Robbo, spurrrr, harr1984 and 4 others like this.
  9. metalgear

metalgear Jack Jull

Thing is he is too busy to ping balls forward at rcb so a bit wasted there.
    Also if I recall correctly Conte's Chelsea had a marauding and sometimes reckless CCB that won the league.
    With Romero at CCB and contributing to midfield presence, It will allow centre mids to focus more on supplying the forwards

10. Bishop

Bishop Mauricio Taricco

I'm sorry I offended you but I called him a donkey in 06 and I'll still call him a donkey in 2022. That's just my opinion of his playing ability. He was distinctly mediocre.

11. parklane1

parklane1 Terry Dyson

Dawson was not the best CB of the time but he was far from mediocre. imo

Robbo, harr1984 and glasgowspur like this.
  12. spurspinter1

Ironic choice of word in donkey when it’s you being as stubborn as an ass :p:D:eek:o_O;):rolleyes:

DeanoAustin likes this.
  13. papaspur

papaspur Steve Hodge

Reuben Dias makes mistakes too, like when we played against them the last time. This hyper-focused microscopic analysis of one player's fraction-of-a-second lapse in a 90-minute match always fails to see the bigger picture at play. For those keen to wheel out the strawman, this is not a statement against criticism; very rarely do posters here actually analyze the whole build-up to a conceded goal and instead seem to fetishize the individual mistakes as opposed to mistakes the team as a whole makes (i.e., player A gets taken out of position so player B is forced to cover for him, player B loses his original man so player C is then forced to cover for them, etc).

Robbo and Ex-Pat Jennings like this.
  14. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin John Lacy

Yeah all players make mistakes. For me, with Romero, my general criticism is that he’s too aggressive at times. I realise that’s being hyper critical because the guy is the best centre back we’ve had since Toby and Jan and I am a massive fan and have been since he got here. So it’s a general criticism and the Villa and City games support that view.

At some stage, I think he’ll cost us an important game through a red card or a mistake. If and when that happens, you’ll have people on here saying “he’s over rated and not that good”. He is that good but he has faults that could get exploited.

15. Jurgen the German

Jurgen the German Jimmy Cantrell

Bit premature to compare Romero to the likes of King but as signings go he’s one of the best we’ve made in years. Should be in with a shout of captain too, think the rest of the players would really respond to his passion.

papaspur likes this.
  16. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Paul Walsh

Despite his limitations i always liked and respected dawson.
    He gave his all and it obviously hurt when we lost.
    The fact he was here so long and were able to retain him says more about the level we were at than it does about him imo.

harr1984 and Spur of the moment like this.
  17. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment Nick Barmby

As does the fact he helped us win the League Cup in 2008 (though missing the final through injury) and qualify for the CL in 2009/10, winning Spurs Player of the Season that campaign into the bargain. Also won 4 England caps.

SteveAWOL, Robbo, papaspur and 3 others like this.
  18. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Rafael Van Der Vaart

19. papaspur

papaspur Steve Hodge

Imagine if Romero didn't have to do his job and Royal's job too

20. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin John Lacy

Ah come on, be fair. Royal did okay defensively on Sunday as he does most times he plays.

Bishop and harr1984 like this.