1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Cristian Romero

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by AdamB, 6 Aug 2021.

1. JerusalemMan

JerusalemMan John Lacy

I gave Rodgers credit for his reaction to that tackle:
    "There was no problem with the tackle. I had a problem with us not winning the tackle. Romero was strong, aggressive and that's what you want from your centre-half"

2. NaijaSpurs

NaijaSpurs Paul Robinson

[​IMG]

Son knows how instrumental Romero was for his goal

3. metalgear

metalgear Jack Jull

Yep expect him to get played and ref hoodwinked soon enough.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

4. NaijaSpurs

NaijaSpurs Paul Robinson

And amazingly, he only turned 24 last week, this young man is nowhere near his best.

El Guepardo likes this.
  5. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment Nick Barmby

Maybe too soon to say but if he carries on or, as we can expect, only gets better, he is well on the way to being right up there alongside the incomparable Dave Mackay. For me he's already ahead of Ledley because of his energy, his amazing swashbuckling style and quite stunning timing in the tackle.

parklane1 and braineclipse like this.
  6. DTA

DTA Tim Sherwood

ahead of ledley… behave.

7. NaijaSpurs

NaijaSpurs Paul Robinson

8. braineclipse

braineclipse Gary Stevens

Yeah, too early to compare with our best. Already a fantastic player though. How well he'll compare with others will come down to consistency over time and if he can improve further.

Absolutely love that we have him in our team.

9. El Guepardo

El Guepardo Christian Ziege

I already know that he’s better than John Terry was

10. papaspur

papaspur Steed Malbranque

Roberto Firmino: Brazilian
    Cristian Romero will be targeting him with extra attention
    Fabinho: Brazilian
    Cristian Romero will keep an eye on him in-between spells of trying to break Firmino's ankles
    Alisson: Brazilian
    Cristian Romero will be pinching his ass and balls during our corners

11. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin John Lacy

Of the last 20 years, he's behind Ledley, Jan and Toby. Probably on a par at the moment with players like Dawson and Naybet. He keeps going as he is though and he'll reach Jan and Toby's level. Not sure he'll reach Ledleys level. The swashbuckling style is great to watch but you need more strings to your bow to be a top defender. Ledley had it all for me, Romero...not yet.

12. NaijaSpurs

NaijaSpurs Paul Robinson

I would suggest that it is too premature for anyone to seriously compare Romero who is still in his first season at Spurs with our captain and legend (and my favourite Spurs player) who spent his whole career here.

But as for Dawson, well, he needed King Ledley to hold his hand and guide him through matches while Romero is already our best and "senior" central defender.

Last edited: 3 May 2022
  13. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin John Lacy

Not so sure about that. When Romero played in a two, we looked anything but solid. Don’t underestimate Dier who I think excels in this system and really helps Romero. I thought he was quietly brilliant again yesterday and he’s clearly the leader in that back 3.

I’ve consistently rated Romero from the moment I saw him. You look back on this thread and match threads and youll see a lot of posters saying “not sure I get it with Romero, is he all that?” Now it’s swung completely the other way.

The lad is very good, has great potential but he still has a way to go.

DubSpur likes this.
  14. Bishop

Bishop Mauricio Taricco

He's easily better than donkey Dawson.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

15. parklane1

parklane1 Terry Dyson

Funny me and a few other long term fans were talking after the game and Mackay's name was mentioned a few times. Now no one was saying he is in Daves class but there are certain parts of his game which are similar. ( Dave was a bit more vocal though).

16. JerusalemMan

JerusalemMan John Lacy

Specifically, what do you mean by this? What are these other strings that you see as not yet being present (or fully present) in Romero's game?

17. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin John Lacy

He’s very aggressive. Thats a great trait worked very well yesterday and in some other games. But there will be times when he has to be less aggressive.

I’ll give you two examples. Against City, at 2-1 he got sucked under the ball and lost his man. He missed the header and it goes back post. He goes charging out aggressively out of control. Ball hits his hand and it’s a pen (correctly). He stays close to his man, he wins the header. He gets out to the ball without diving in and he likely blocks it. Kane got him out of that hole.

Against Brighton, he has their winger by the end line. He can just show him the line easily enough. He goes to win it, ball ricochets around, he slips, Dier doesn’t help much and we lose 1-0.

From memory, there is a third v Villa when he charges out, doesn’t win the tackle and they exploit the space to equalise.

The guy is a very very good player. His aggression is a great tool but it can’t be his only tool or only way of playing and I think he’ll need more up at Anfield. I think he has massive potential but his decision making needs to be a bit better. He’s still young but I’m sure he’ll learn.

Like I say, look back and a lot of fans doubted him up to a few weeks ago. We’re getting a little carried away with ourselves based on a few games against relatively poor opposition.

18. papaspur

papaspur Steed Malbranque

What is "swashbuckling style" anyway? I see a guy that wins the ball back for his team. As a wide CB, that can sometimes happen near the half-way line or even beyond it. I get that it's entertaining to watch full-blooded tackles and all that, but this guy has a winning mentality.
    Would he be better off as a DM instead of a CB? Maybe, but IMO moot because we don't have anyone that can replace him as a CB (this season anyway).

Yes, he does make mistakes once in a while but comparing him to Davies, of whom my opinion is much higher lately after watching him in a back-3, they're two completely different players technically playing in the same role (perhaps individual instructions differ but they're both WCBs). Davies should have some license to win the ball back slightly higher up the pitch but instead, he defends more traditionally with Dier, trying to block shots. With Romero, if he wins the ball back, the opposition don't even get a shot off and as we saw yesterday (or when he sent a rocket to Kane to flick on for Son's goal), he can start the counter attack right away.

19. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Jack L. Jones

He passes the ball better than Ledley
    His passing from defence is exceptional and as good as any CB I’ve seen play

harr1984 and papaspur like this.
  20. JerusalemMan

JerusalemMan John Lacy

Thank you, I understand now.
    I think I misunderstood your original point, or maybe the language choice misdirected me.
    I thought, by more strings to the bow, you meant that there were aspects of the game or skills that he doesn't have.

But if it is simply learning how to temper an aggressive spirit, that's much less of an impediment to reaching the very top. Some of it could simply be acclimatizing to a new league and teammates, coupled with over-reliance on a natural strength while not fully settled into the team and surroundings.

Last edited: 2 May 2022
    harr1984, papaspur and DeanoAustin like this.