• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coentrao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm Graham Hunter (on TalkSport) saying that Coentrao is very much still part of the deal.

Along with "Spurs fans will love his attitude, tough tackling and pace. He would be a wonderful player for Spurs!" \o/

Is there any update on Coentrao, is he still supposed to be part of the deal, seems to have gone a bit quiet.

Madrid will want it to be part of the deal as will mean price wont be a world record so they keep Ronaldo happy.

Rossi22 posted this elsewhere but it deserves a place here. Well worth the read.

The curious case of Coentrao.

5 July 2011. The headlines read: Real Madrid confirm Coentrao capture. After a long transfer saga with Benfica, he is finally a Madridista. He was the best player for Portugal in World Cup 2010. The prospect of him linking up with CR7 on the left wing made Madridistas lick their lips in excitement. Everything was perfectly poised for him to succeed in the Bernabeu.

17 August 2013. Ancelotti confirmed that Coentrao wants to leave Real Madrid. Some fans have turned against him. His Real Madrid career is on the verge of collapse.

What exactly happened to the Portuguese who has ‘success with Real Madrid’ written all over his face?

Coentrao came to Real Madrid with a €30m price tag in 2011. He started preseason playing as a unity player, alongside Xabi. His work rate was top notch. His endless energy made him comfortable in his new role. Throughout the 2011-2012 season, he rotated between playing as a midfielder and left-back, being a backup for Marcelo at times. So far so good.

It seems that his promising Real Madrid career came to a halt in the first-leg Champions League semi-final tie against Bayern Munich. He performed decently throughout the entire match until the 90th minute. German right-back Philipp Lahm made a mazy run on the left wing in Real Madrid’s defensive half. Coentrao mistimed his tackle. He went in too soon. Lahm got the better of him and squared the ball to Mario Gomez. Goal. 2-1 to Bayern Munich in the final minute. A Coentrao mistake costed Real Madrid a valuable draw at Allianz Arena.

The next day, the press and some fans alike placed the blame of the loss on Coentrao. ‘How is he worth €30m? ”Marcelo is way better than him.’ These were just some of the insults that Coentrao received from the public.

Coentrao started the 2012-2013 season just as he did in the previous one — brilliantly. This was aided by the fact that Marcelo got injured midway through the season. He got his chance to shine alongside Ronaldo. One thing was different this time. He was under intense scrutiny by the media and the Bernabeu crowd. Every single mistake that he made was amplified. This placed him under even more pressure.

Perhaps the pressure got the better of Coentrao. There were times where he feared the Bernabeu crowd. He even dreaded playing home matches for the fear of being slaughtered by the fans. He could not take the stress anymore. He wants to leave the Bernabeu. He wants to play at somewhere where he will not be judged so harshly every week. That is definitely not possible in Real Madrid where the fans are demanding. He is not fulfilling his potential with such huge pressure on his shoulders.

Maybe it is time to let Coentrao leave. Let him play somewhere where he will be most happy. It is good for both Real Madrid and the player himself. He sweats for Real Madrid. He bleeds for Real Madrid. No matter how this Coentrao saga will turn out, I hope that every single Madridistas will support Coentrao’s decision and of course, Coentrao himself. After all, despite his apprehensiveness of playing for Real Madrid after the mistake against Bayern Munich, he always gives his all. It is time that Madridistas give him the respect he deserves.

I really want us to get this guy now, and have Rose as the 2nd choice.

And I don't care about all that "Rose won't hang about for that." -- things have changed, we could compete for the league here. And young Danny would be better a part of that than playing every week for some mid-table outfit. The club is making a huge leap forward this window, don't blow it by being weak in any area of the squad.

I really want us to get this guy now, and have Rose as the 2nd choice.

And I don't care about all that "Rose won't hang about for that." -- things have changed, we could compete for the league here. And young Danny would be better a part of that than playing every week for some mid-table outfit. The club is making a huge leap forward this window, don't blow it by being weak in any area of the squad.

totally with you there, mate.

I am also optimistic about this for one reason...

Real seem to have dropped the Bale fee by 8 million euros so that Mr. Ego Ronaldo remains the most expensive player on the planet. Now I may be wrong but so any of you believe Levy would give away 8 million to keep Ronaldo happy???

But if the price of Coentrao were to suddenly also drop by 8 million....

We'll see come Monday evening

I am also optimistic about this for one reason...

Real seem to have dropped the Bale fee by 8 million euros so that Mr. Ego Ronaldo remains the most expensive player on the planet. Now I may be wrong but so any of you believe Levy would give away 8 million to keep Ronaldo happy???

But if the price of Coentrao were to suddenly also drop by 8 million....

We'll see come Monday evening

Absolutely. Bale £86m and Coentrao £17m. Or Bale £78m and Coentrao £9m. All the same to us.

I can understand them selling di Maria if Bale's coming in, but Benzema is their only established striker and Oezil is just brilliant, would be nuts to sell him.

And add to that Levy stalling the deal to prevent Arsenal from having their pickings on their fringe players.

I know Di Maria is still not fully established as a starter, but Ozil and Benzema are surely in Real Madrid's first eleven by any yardstick. Far from the fringe, and they would seriously upgrade this Arsenal side too. Thankfully I can't see Ozil taking the perceived step down from Real Madrid. And unless they bring in a replacement for Benzema (which - unless they reignite the Suarez thing - I've heard nothing about), losing him would seriously weaken their front line (even with Bale coming in).

I can understand them selling di Maria if Bale's coming in, but Benzema is their only established striker and Oezil is just brilliant, would be nuts to sell him.

Not gonna happen. Perez loves Benzema he is not gonna sell one of his best players. I think theser umours where based on Suarez coming in. And Ozil has come out and said he doesn't want to leave.

Ancelotti blocks Coentrao & Di Maria sales as Tottenham & Arsenal miss out

The Real Madrid boss has reassured the duo that they have a future at the Santiago Bernabeu despite the imminent arrival of Gareth Bale, with Pepe also set to stay put

EXCLUSIVE
By Duncan Castles

Real Madrid are to resist Arsenal and Tottenham approaches to sign Angel Di Maria and Fabio Coentrao respectively, following a personal intervention by manager Carlo Ancelotti, Goal understands.

STAYING PUT

Alberto Pinero | Goal Spain

"Carlo Ancelotti certainly doesn't want to lose Pepe or Angel Di Maria - that much is clear from the statements he's made in recent press conferences. While Pepe is not the first-team regular he was in the past, limited options at the back mean his sale is simply not an option, and Di Maria looked all set to leave, with Arsenal strongly linked, but has now been reassured that he does have a Bernabeu future.

"It's a slightly different case for Fabio Coentrao, however. After Ancelotti declared he would not sell the left-back, it's all gone a bit quiet, with Spurs ramping up their interest in recent times. While his future remains the most uncertain of the three, it will undoubtedly take a sizable offer to land the Portuguese as Ancelotti is not interested in selling on the cheap, given the £25 million Madrid paid Benfica to sign him back in 2011."The pair had looked to be heading for the Santiago Bernabeu exit following an unsettled summer at the club, with their sales also providing funds for Real's imminent capture of Gareth Bale from Tottenham.

Ancelotti, however, has stepped in to convince both that their future is in Madrid, scuppering the two deals.

Unhappy with his status within the Liga club, Coentrao had been touted for an exit from Madrid all summer with AS Monaco offering a pay rise in French football, and former club Benfica exploring the possibility of a return on loan.

Tottenham came close to landing the 25-year-old, with manager Andre Villas-Boas targeting the Portugal international as left-back in his new-look team - even though the proposed financial terms of the €17 million [£14.5m] deal had prompted some consternation within the London club.

However, following talks with the manager in the last 24 hours, Coentrao is now set to extend his stay on an improved contract at a club he joined for €30m [£25.6m] two years ago.

Also originally recruited from Benfica by Jose Mourinho, Di Maria has been sounded out by Arsenal after Madrid informally placed the Argentina international on the transfer market last month.

Again, Ancelotti intervened to keep the winger at the club, regardless of Bale's proposed €100 million [£86m] recruitment, leaving Wenger short of transfer options with the close of the window just over a day away.

The Italian coach has also blocked Emirates Marketing Project's sustained attempt to recruit Pepe, reassuring the Portugal international of his importance to Madrid's first team and returning him to it.

An often controversial figure at the Bernabeu, the Brazil-born defender had welcomed the idea of moving to the Premier League having fallen out with Mourinho over team selections and grown tired of public criticism in Madrid - but now looks set to stay at the club, alongside Coentrao and Di Maria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back