• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Captain Next Season?

thejazzman

Jason Cundy
The way things are looking at the moment it doesn't look as if Michael Dawson is going to be a first choice centre back next season, and probably beyond. Who do we think should replace him as captain? If Van Gaal takes over, who can you see him choosing? Personally I think Sandro would be a good choice, though I'd place an outside bet on Van Gaal going for Lloris.

I'm not even gonna start on the "who will LVG pick" question because right now we may not even have him as our coach. Personally I think we are in a poor situation with regards to a captain as none of our older players seem to be playing that often, Lloris and Verts might be off and of those left on the pitch, none strike me as a stand out contender. With a better command of his own position, I'd be happy to say Kyle Walker, perhaps Sandro but the way his injury record has been since the big knee injury I don't think we can depend on him.

If Dawson is one of our two first choice centre backs next season I despair. Having him as support and rotation is fine but it's certainly an area where we have/can have better.

Nah Holtby still needs guiding. Sandro is the best shout I reckon and if he's out then Dawson, Lloris or if he can regain his form Kaboul.

Put me down for Sandro. Would die for the cause attitude is most welcome amongst players without a backbone.

I'd even go to say Adebayor, and that's saying something from me considering.. :)

It'll be Dawson IMO.

Verts, Sandro and Lloris the alternatives, but none of them are standout at the moment.

These days being a captain is more about the PR off the pitch than any organisational role on it. Dawson follows in the tradition of King and Mabbutt of being an excellent ambassador captain.

Put me down for Sandro. Would die for the cause attitude is most welcome amongst players without a backbone.

I'd even go to say Adebayor, and that's saying something from me considering.. :)

confession17.gif

:eek:

It'll be Dawson IMO.

Verts, Sandro and Lloris the alternatives, but none of them are standout at the moment.

These days being a captain is more about the PR off the pitch than any organisational role on it. Dawson follows in the tradition of King and Mabbutt of being an excellent ambassador captain.

Wasn't Sherwood captain quite often in his playing days 8-[

ade, captain?

he can't even motivate himself, despite being the highest earner at the club

If Dawson is one of our two first choice centre backs next season I despair. Having him as support and rotation is fine but it's certainly an area where we have/can have better.

I agree, while he is one of our most experienced players he simply is not good enough. Like John Terry he lacks pace, but unlike Terry his positioning is poor and his ability as a central defender is seriously lacking. And more alarmingly his need to wantonly hoof the ball forward is totally anti-football

another one for Sandro...

have to say that I would despair if a) Daws is our captain next season! and b) if he's playing regulary.

Unfortunately I've only seen one player at the club (apart from Dawson) who I think is a leader and that's Laste Dombaxe and he's a million miles away from the first team. A good team would have 3 or 4 candidates.

Meh, the idea of the captain is overrated. Leaders will lead regardless.

Totally agree.

I believe firmly in the concept of collective/distributed leadership. Chris Hughton implemented something along those lines, certainly at Saudi Sportswashing Machine anyway.

If it was me I'd have no one wearing an armband and just let the CF do the toss. All but the most junior players could then rotate any associated responsibilities.

I think people will be surprised by Dawson's renaissance under LVG.

It's exactly what he did with Demichelis and van Buyten (two quite comparable players to Dawson) at Bayern.

Back