1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Bundesliga Thread

Discussion in 'General Football' started by edgey-the-yid, 29 Jan 2012.

1. Neymar

Neymar Biggest Bozo 2015 Gooner WUM

i disagree. i think they're roughly at our level tbh. if we were in germany, i think theres every chance we could have won a title over the past few years. they may have/had goetze, kagawa, reus, lewandowski etc, but dont forget we've had some genuine world beaters too in the past few years. and i have no doubt that we been a winning a squad, guys like lennon would be better regarded. the problem is, the casual football fans thinks "your're good if youre winning, and bad if youre not". therefore guys like lennon didnt get to build their confidence from being part of a winning team through their careers.

in my opinion there are a lot of average players in that dortmund squad that wouldnt get into our 25. and someone like Błaszczykowski is no better than lennon in his prime. just like dortmund i think we are one of the best teams in europe (probably top 10, if not, definitely top 15). the only difference being that we dont get to show it because there are usually 4 genuinely elite teams in the premier league. if we were in the bundesliga, i suspect we would have enjoyed many deep runs in the champions league like we did in 10/11.

if dortmund were in england, long term they would probably be in a fight with us, arsenal and lpool for a place in the top 4. and i suspect their current squad would fall just short.

2. Rorschach

Rorschach Erik Thorstvedt

Bayern v Dortmund on now. Great match so far.

3. markysimmo

markysimmo Johnny nice-tits

Really enjoyed that match, was superb...

4. Denmark Spur

Denmark Spur Mitchell Thomas

Anyone watching Dortmund - Gladbach?

Kramer has just scored an quite amazing own goal

5. Jordinho

Jordinho John White Staff Member

Makes sense, he's apparently someone we're watching.

6. Denmark Spur

Denmark Spur Mitchell Thomas

7. Jordinho

Jordinho John White Staff Member

Tenth league defeat in 17 games for Dortmund. They're only one point above bottom team Freiburg, who have a game in hand.

8. NWND

NWND Banned

They also lost to another team in the bottom 3. Too good to go down? Doesn't look that way.

9. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Paul Robinson

There's definitely at least one person on these shores who is very happy about Dortmond's current malaise...

[​IMG]

10. metalgear

metalgear Johnny Morrison

Dortmund's fall from grace is truly amazing.

11. milo

milo Vivian Woodward Staff Member

Klopp has stayed there too long. Most of the best managers now days move on after three or so seasons.

12. metalgear

metalgear Johnny Morrison

Then it comes down to a short term motivation thing, not really a philosophy or system of play init.

Also sometimes with the right players things just click...

13. milo

Not necessarily. I think that there is a risk of players getting used to the same voice or getting complacent but also, the longer you stay in the job the greater the chance of something going wrong on your watch.

Klopp's system is not a million miles away from what Poch is trying to do with us. As we have seen, a high effort, pressing team can be very effective when everyone is on song but it only takes a few players to have an off day and the system becomes ineffective.

14. galeforce

galeforce Tony Galvin

I think Klopp is a victim of his own success, the expectations were (rightly and understandably) raised by a few seasons of massive over achievement but the club have let him down by not doing enough to keep players from leaving or strengthen the squad when required, they had built a great platform to really have a go at Munich but instead they just sold them their best players.

15. galeforce

galeforce Tony Galvin

bayern won 8-0 today, but it wasn't the higher scoring game of the day!

16. braineclipse

braineclipse Andy Thompson

You don't think he can turn it around?

I know it's been a massive fall from grace this season. But they can still handily finish mid table and in time this season could be the blip on an otherwise excellent record.

He's obviously a good coach, I think it's way too soon to say that his methods don't work there anymore.

Agreed. The amount of good players he's lost year after year has been a massive thing to overcome and keep being successful for as long as he did is really impressive.

As a club I'm not sure they had much choice. They weren't in a situation financially to offer the kind of money others were offering to their players and several players left because of buyout clauses or because their contracts ran out. They've re-invested in the squad and with the possible exception (still early) of this year they've made some tremendous signings to replace outgoing players.

-----------------------------------------

They've seemingly turned the corner a bit after it looked like the misery would just continue after losing their first game. Reus signing a new contract is huge for them and they're still in the CL.

Personally I think Klopp is more than capable of turning this around and have them back fighting for CL places next year at least.

17. indianspur

indianspur Guest

the Leverkusen 4 - 5 Wolfsburg game was simply nuts o_O

18. milo

He maybe able to turn it around and I was not saying that his methods did not work anymore. I was just saying that there is a risk of that happening when a manager stays in a job for a while and that a high pressing system is reliant on all of the players buying into the coaches methods if it is to work.

19. sc25

sc25 Banned

You think we only have 2 more seasons of Poch? Not saying you are wrong, just asking. I believe its been said in here that half the squad need to go and that he needs a few windows?

Last edited: 16 Feb 2015
  20. Jurgen the German

Jurgen the German Andy Thompson

I don't think they really had much say in it. Bayern activated Gotze's release clause (a day before Dortmund's CL semi against Real I might add. clamish move from Bayern). Dortmund refused to sell Lewandowski, but they couldn't stop him leaving on a free.