• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Bill Nicholson

THFC6061

Paul Robinson
26.01.1919 - 23.10.2004

A5899_zpsacf15455.jpg

'It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory.'

Ok, so someone has just told me that the above quote was actually by Danny Blanchflower and NOT Bill Nic, can anyone confirm this?

I think I said that the game is about glory quote was Bill Nic when it was Blanchie, or visa-versa.

I was at the Lane on the day he died to see Spurs lose 2-1 vs Bolton. A depressing day all round. Always remember everyone singing 'Stand up for Bill Nicholson' and then Bolton scored.

RIP Bill Nic.

The man had pure class. I can't imagine Billy Nic ****ging his old players off in a book like the modern managers do nowadays.

I remember seeing bill every home game. He used to park his car in the school and go in the East Stand. Everyone saying hi to him and he always had a smile and a wave back.

Looking back I cannot believe I never got a picture with him. But this was before decent camera phones so never had one handy.

Ok, so someone has just told me that the above quote was actually by Danny Blanchflower and NOT Bill Nic, can anyone confirm this?

It IS a quote from Sir Bill Nicholson.

R.I.P. Bill Nick, 52 years later and still trying to emulate your greatness!

Don't make managers like that anymore

It interesting that he was manager at the same time as Busby and Shankly. He also overlapped with Cullis, Ramsey, Catterick, Revie and a young Clough. Even with the influx of foreign managers, has Fergie managed against a comparable collection?

It should also be added that, despite the rivals, Nicholson's Spurs topped the cumulative league table during his reign. The one league title was a poor return, but it was a golden age of managers.

Whoever told you that was wrong. It was definitely Bill Nick who said that.

Danny Blanchflower's famous quote was:

"The game is about glory. It’s about doing things in style, with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom.""

I was at the Lane on the day he died to see Spurs lose 2-1 vs Bolton. A depressing day all round. Always remember everyone singing 'Stand up for Bill Nicholson' and then Bolton scored.

RIP Bill Nic.

Bolton were a disgrace that day. Began time wasting flagrantly and outrageously from about 10 minutes into the game - Nicky Hunt being the worst culprit. I know that Bolton owed us no favours and that their only responsibility was to try to get the win but to have behaved as cynically as they did was wholly unnecessary and the utter antithesis of everything that Bill Nick stood for.

It was an incredibly emotional day. Huge, huge lump in the throat when, just before the game, they played a montage of footage and photos of Bill to the soundtrack of Annie Lennox singing Into The West (from the final Lord Of The Rings film). Tears all round. Equally emotional was another montage played at his memorial service at the Lane, this time to the tune of Glory Glory, played at a very slow tempo.

Back