1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Ben Davies

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by billyiddo, 23 Jul 2014.

1. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Jack L. Jones

Different team, different system, different coach

2. JerusalemMan

JerusalemMan John Lacy

I chose to watch it on a USA channel. Lee Dixon was the pundit and he LOVED that block from Davies

3. JerusalemMan

JerusalemMan John Lacy

It sounded from some of you that even Hoddle has succumbed to that awful hyperbole

Baleforce likes this.
  4. K.D.D.D.D.Soc

K.D.D.D.D.Soc Nick Barmby

I agree, one day people might realise that and not quickly jump to personal attacks on players. Lots of areas I would like to see improvements but until that happens I'll support the guys we have as long as they are giving their best.

5. Bedfordspurs

And the latter was clearly an issue with Tanguy

K.D.D.D.D.Soc likes this.
  6. DubSpur

DubSpur Tim Sherwood

Romero didn't cost 70m and you saying he isn't miles better than Davies?

7. Yiddo

Yiddo Steffen Iversen

Not miles better no, they are different types of defenders but Romero aggressive play doesn’t mean he is alot more effective than Ben Davies. Davies was better than Romero Yesterday.

8. DubSpur

DubSpur Tim Sherwood

I'll leave at that then...

9. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin John Lacy

The guy has no defensive awareness and he coughs up chances. You watch Villareals second the other night, he’s asleep. Time and again against Benfica, he had no awareness of what was going on behind him. Against City in the league I think it was, the new CB makes a terrible error and is at fault for the goal but a good full back is there to help him out like ours were last night. Again, TAA doesn’t smell the danger.

Robertson on the other side does it so I don’t buy that’s it’s just a result of their system. He has more license to attack than most right backs/wing backs but he’s a liability defensively and he will cost them in big games.

10. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Andy Thompson

11. parklane1

parklane1 Terry Dyson

He was brilliant yesterday MOM for me. Glad to see him being praised by more fans after suffering so much abuse from some over the last couple of seasons. Very good player and one of our best this season.

Pirate55, spasm, DTA and 6 others like this.
  12. braineclipse

braineclipse Gary Stevens

Absolutely. Able to then fill in at left wing back too when needed. Not a lot of players around that can do both.

Still think it's possible to find an upgrade, upgrading any position would obviously be good. Not easily though, probably not cheaply. Very good player to have in the squad regardless.

metalgear, Pirate55 and papaspur like this.
  13. papaspur

papaspur Steed Malbranque

Another dominating performance, was very good tonight. Proving me wrong lately... I don't like last-ditch defending (as a team style, too risky IMO), but he's made some crucial blocks all season.

14. spurspinter1

spurspinter1 Chris Armstrong

Yup. I struggle to recall any mistakes he made after not shielding the ball well enough for his booking.

I wince a bit when people talk about him being easily “upgradable”, sure we could do with some competition for his LCB spot but in a successful campaign (which means a lot of games) I’d predict we’d see a lot of him on the pitch. Lovely to see him getting a great reception coming off tonight, well deserved, no doubt Conte would agree.

15. Yiddo

Yiddo Steffen Iversen

I just don’t see anyone in world football who is realistically gettable being head a shoulders above him.

Bedfordspurs and glasgowspur like this.
  16. braineclipse

braineclipse Gary Stevens

Definitely agree. I also think we'd be fine going for a younger LCB with potential that's already at a good enough level to cover for/rotate with Davies. Would be less excited about another player at his level without the potential, but even that would help.

He's a very good player in this role. Still underrated by many imo.

Pirate55 likes this.
  17. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Les Ferdinand

Quietly effective, we could easily get in another LCB who is more noticeable, doesn't mean he would be better.
    Will be harder to upgrade than many think imho.

18. Bedfordspurs

There are better players… but their expensive and hard to get
    Ben has IMO been our POTY
    He has stepped up and been massive for us at keys times

90291Spur and Lakey like this.
  19. 90291Spur

90291Spur Christian Ziege

He makes the odd mistake (whom of us, other than @scaramanga doesn’t?), but he’s solid, brave, reads the game well and has had to adapt to playing w Reggie and Sess too. Glad to have him.

metalgear likes this.
  20. afsoc4life

afsoc4life Mitchell Thomas

I can see why Wales were good in that 3 CB formation at the earlier Euros. That LCB role suits him. During the match, I couldn't help but recall the video with Kane and Eriksen (iirc) where he talked about players being given time to develop.

metalgear likes this.