1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Ben Davies

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by billyiddo, 23 Jul 2014.

1. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Tom Huddlestone

Enquiries were made and no follow up - I think my point still stands.

2. Jurgen the German

Jurgen the German Andy Thompson

Because Rose started the majority of the big games, especially towards the end of the season. Not saying it’s the same case for everyone but I definitely believe there’s some who haven’t moved on from the comments he made a couple of years ago. I don’t recall anyone calling for Davies to start before those comments were made. Sort of like jilted lover syndrome, similar thing happened when Walker got frozen out and Trippier started to get more game time.

harr1984 and DubaiSpur like this.
  3. AuroRaman

AuroRaman Young-Pyo Lee

Didn’t realise Ben was only 26. That’s made me much more assured about our LB situation. Mr Dependable.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Tapatalk

4. nayimfromthehalfwayline

The end of the season when Davies was really struggling for fitness? Yes, its clear Rose played because he is "clear first choice" and no other possible reason at all...

I think Rose was a fudging idiot for what he said, and when he said it, and I think he was deliberately stirring the pot. Pretty clamish move all round from him.

Thats never effected my thinking on him as a player though. I was calling him over rated before then, and Ill call him over rated now.

5. Jurgen the German

Jurgen the German Andy Thompson

I think his performances also put him ahead of Davies in the pecking order also, injuries aside. As good as Davies can be, Rose has a higher ceiling IMO. You’re never going to get more than a 7 out of 10 from Davies. There’s nothing wrong with that I just think the bar is so high now to win the league that we would need better if Rose is to be sold.

6. nayimfromthehalfwayline

You are free to your opinion, although I disagree with it. What I take issue with is your presenting that opinion as fact.

It isnt. There really is nothing concrete to suggest Rose is clear first choice. And if you look at the stats - theres not even anything to suggest he is clearly a better player in any respect - they are virtually evens across the board.

The difference in the two, IMO, is in style. Rose is all energy and effort, whereas Davies works hard but subtly. Rose charges around, Davies positions well.

In essence - Rose catches the eye. But, IMO, he doesnt actually do much, yet people seem to mistake his effort for productivity.

There is no higher ceiling either, at least - absolutely nothing tangible to indicate it. If anything, its more likely this is as good as it gets with Rose. He is 29, has played his football the same way since we got him, I dont think there is any precedent or indication to suggest he has any improvement to come.