• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ben Davies

Can't believe this thread was on page 4.
He is having a great season and has really seized the opportunity to make the LB spot his own.
But the purpose of resurrecting this thread is to link to an interview with him on the OS.
An extract below - gives me goosebumps to read.

Speaking after training on Wednesday, Ben summed up the feeling of the players after Chelsea.
"There is competition for places everywhere but everyone wants the best for the Club," said Ben.
"Whoever is on the pitch for a particular game, it’s about supporting them and wanting the best for the team.

"You saw Harry on the bench when we scored the second goal at Chelsea, a huge goal and it was as if he’d scored the goal himself. I’m sure he was devastated he couldn’t start a game like that but that’s irrelevant when the whistle goes at the start of the game because it’s about Tottenham Hotspur, not the names on the teamsheet, but winning the game for the Club, no matter who is out there.
"We all want the best for this Club as does everyone involved and if you are not on the pitch or on the bench and not playing, it doesn’t matter, because every player is there every day and as much part of the team as the players who play most weeks. Without them, it doesn’t work, we don’t have the same training, the same intensity and that’s the feeling we have throughout the squad. That’s been huge this season.

"Everyone is settled and that shows on the pitch in our performances - everyone wants the best for this Club.

"The emotions at Chelsea when we scored the goals, after the game, that was real. This is our team. This is what we want to do. It’s one Club, players, staff, fans and everyone has one goal and that’s to push us forward and wins like that make it feel all the more special."

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/ben-davies-on-togetherness-050418/

Agree. For a long time his highest praise was that he made a decent back-up to Danny Rose (granted there are some who always saw Davies as the better defender overall). And in fairness, Rose was enjoying the best form of his career at the time.
But he has obviously worked hard, bought into what Poch wants and with a bit of 'good fortune', (Rose's injury) has had the opportunity to prove he is deserving of being first choice.
And he's still pretty young I think.

Edit : just looked it up - he's just a couple of weeks shy of 25 (3 years younger than Rose). So still lots of time to improve further and reach his peak.

Agree. For a long time his highest praise was that he made a decent back-up to Danny Rose (granted there are some who always saw Davies as the better defender overall). And in fairness, Rose was enjoying the best form of his career at the time.
But he has obviously worked hard, bought into what Poch wants and with a bit of 'good fortune', (Rose's injury) has had the opportunity to prove he is deserving of being first choice.
And he's still pretty young I think.

Edit : just looked it up - he's just a couple of weeks shy of 25 (3 years younger than Rose). So still lots of time to improve further and reach his peak.

I agree. He deserves to be considered for player of the season along with Kane, Verts and Eriksen.

Sorry I wasn't clear, not disagreeing with you just making the point that pace makes you look good - may not actually be playing better but on MOTD etc you certainly look it.

No I didn’t think you were so apologies too

What players like Davies and Robertson show though is there is talent here and it’s not crazy money if your willing to identify it and develop it

Can't believe this thread was on page 4.

"You saw Harry on the bench when we scored the second goal at Chelsea, a huge goal and it was as if he’d scored the goal himself. I’m sure he was devastated he couldn’t start a game like that but that’s irrelevant when the whistle goes at the start of the game because it’s about Tottenham Hotspur, not the names on the teamsheet, but winning the game for the Club, no matter who is out there.
"We all want the best for this Club as does everyone involved and if you are not on the pitch or on the bench and not playing, it doesn’t matter, because every player is there every day and as much part of the team as the players who play most weeks. Without them, it doesn’t work, we don’t have the same training, the same intensity and that’s the feeling we have throughout the squad. That’s been huge this season.

"Everyone is settled and that shows on the pitch in our performances - everyone wants the best for this Club.

Easy for Harry to react like this to the goal, when his disappointment at not playing is purely down to fitness, and his absence from the team sheet is undoubtedly short-lived.

However it's a different state of mind surely for the likes of Rose, Toby, and possibly even Lucas, who - whilst i've no doubt will cheer every goal we score - are going to be far more despondent to being left out time and time again lately.

I implore the club mentality of "it's about Tottenham Hotspur", but it's a damn sight easier for Ben to say when he has that LB spot locked down right now. I doubt those mentioned above still share the same enthusiasm when the dust has settled and they're on their way home thinking about what part they didn't play in the victory.

Easy for Harry to react like this to the goal, when his disappointment at not playing is purely down to fitness, and his absence from the team sheet is undoubtedly short-lived.
I just think it just shows Harry as a true Spurs fan... I was on my feet too when Dele scored that goal too! Are you suggesting that Harry was only on his feet because he is temporarily injured? He's a fan.... his state of fitness means nothing!

I just think it just shows Harry as a true Spurs fan... I was on my feet too when Dele scored that goal too! Are you suggesting that Harry was only on his feet because he is temporarily injured? He's a fan.... his state of fitness means nothing!

No, what I was referring too was Davies citing Harry as an example of how "together" the squad are. And that it doesn't matter if you're playing or not. My point was that that's all well and good in principle, ad indeed i hope it's true. However if you were to ask the likes of Rose and Toby you may find it's said through gritted teeth.

Harry is a Spurs fan of course. But him celebrating a goal is nothing less than expected for me. I'd like to see someone like Rose pr Toby come out to the press and genuinely make me believe that he is here for the team, whether playing or not.

However it's a different state of mind surely for the likes of Rose, Toby, and possibly even Lucas, who - whilst i've no doubt will cheer every goal we score - are going to be far more despondent to being left out time and time again lately.

I implore the club mentality of "it's about Tottenham Hotspur", but it's a damn sight easier for Ben to say when he has that LB spot locked down right now. I doubt those mentioned above still share the same enthusiasm when the dust has settled and they're on their way home thinking about what part they didn't play in the victory.

It’s a good point. While I think our squad is more together than most, which is down to Poch, we tend to put too much emphasis on it sometimes and tend to believe it’s stronger than it is.

It’s a good point. While I think our squad is more together than most, which is down to Poch, we tend to put too much emphasis on it sometimes and tend to believe it’s stronger than it is.

Definitely. If it was truly as strong as the "first 11" would have you believe...then why the unrest from Rose last season and Toby this?

Money talks. Spurs can afford to pay them, don't believe any flimflam to the contrary. The problem is that DL for all his business acumen, is a stubborn mule and won't budge on the clubs wage structure. Even when all the signs of modern football point to this being our final hurdle to overcome.

I often wonder if he does it because he enjoys the headlines and publicity.

Definitely. If it was truly as strong as the "first 11" would have you believe...then why the unrest from Rose last season and Toby this?

Money talks. Spurs can afford to pay them, don't believe any flimflam to the contrary. The problem is that DL for all his business acumen, is a stubborn mule and won't budge on the clubs wage structure. Even when all the signs of modern football point to this being our final hurdle to overcome.

He pays the players on par with the clubs around us when taking in to account wages to % of turnover - asides from Liverpool the top 6 are give or take around the same.

As our turnover increases over the coming years wages which get renegotiated will reflect that. If our our wage % to turnover considerably drops as revenue rises then it will be time to ask questions

There are probably a few things for which DL could be criticised, if one were that way inclined. But I really don't think courting publicity is one of them.

He pays the players on par with the clubs around us when taking in to account wages to % of turnover - asides from Liverpool the top 6 are give or take around the same.

As our turnover increases over the coming years wages which get renegotiated will reflect that. If our our wage % to turnover considerably drops as revenue rises then it will be time to ask questions

A few differences for us though as our growth with the new ground will be huge in such quick periods

There are probably a few things for which DL could be criticised, if one were that way inclined. But I really don't think courting publicity is one of them.

I do agree, the club is in the position it is BECAUSE of Levy but there are still some who think he should throw more money at players. Sad really when you consider how far we have come under him.

As for Davies i have always thought he would be our first choice LB, Rose had a great season or two but Davies for me is the better all round player.

Last edited:
Back