• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Belgium and Dutch league to merge

Not heard that, but from the outside looking in it makes perfect sense. Would make a half decent league, probably better than the French league.

Been rumoured for years. I dont think the smaller clubs are in favour though. Some Dutch clubs dont really fancy trips to smaller Belgian towns they have never heard of, likewise those smaller Belgian sides would get pushed out of the top league to make way for the bigger Dutch sides.

I'm sure there would be some up side, with the likes of Anderlecht and Ajax etc in a combined league but it seems difficult to get an agreement from what read.

Depending on how it worked, a multi-tier European league system with promotion and relegation could easily be more fun than what we currently have.

I didn't think that UEFa allowed teams from other nations to play in leagues, with a couple of Welsh clubs and Berwick being the exceptions that prove the rule.

I just can’t see the biggest teams reducing their chances of winning a league by adding more competition, ditto if it reduced the chances of CL qualification.

I just can’t see the biggest teams reducing their chances of winning a league by adding more competition, ditto if it reduced the chances of CL qualification.

This for me as well, i would be surprised if it happened.

it's a good threat to pull out and wave over the smaller clubs, is there a TV deal being done in either country at the minute?

There are two arguments for the big clubs. Yes, the merger would increase competition, but they are probably confident (rightly or not) that they would continue to be big clubs. It would be the second tier clubs that would have more of a concern. The second argument is having a richer league which would allow them to be more competitive in Europe again. Ajax always produce players but now can't keep them because the clubs in richer leagues have more money. If they thought a merged league could change this I think they'd take their chances on more competition.

Back