1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Bale. Could we? Would we? Should we?

Discussion in 'Transfer Archives' started by Mulletperm, 17 Apr 2017.

1. metalgear

metalgear Jimmy McCormick

Whats Bale's best position now and how many matches can he play at 31? Is he providing competition and cover for son?

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

2. nayenezgani

nayenezgani Nick Barmby

His agent has now said: "It is close but not done. It is a complicated deal."

Barnett is a notorious clam, so this scares me.

3. milo

milo Bert Bliss Staff Member

Right inside forward. Dunno. No

Gazza Dazzla and Baleforce like this.
  4. AdamB

AdamB Nayim

Probably just doubled his fee to extract as much blood as he can

metalgear and MKSpur like this.
  5. Gazza

Gazza Jermaine Jenas

Could also be putting pressure on Real Madrid to pay extra money for wages etc

6. nayenezgani

nayenezgani Nick Barmby

Ol' saggy chops is getting involved, feels like a proper transfer window now.

7. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Jack Jull

Why break the story? It's obviously not Spurs.
    So Spurs wouldn't have broken the story. There is no reason to unsettle the player or put pressure on the selling club, as they want him out. Which leaves Madrid or Bale's people. My guess would be Bale's people and the quote from the agent backs that up. Clearly they want a bidding war to get Bale as much money as poss - that is their job after all. If they can attract interest from United or someone else, then that might put pressure of Levy to up his investment.

Lots could go wrong. But there appears to be harmony among the 3 main parties. All 3 seem to want to make it happen.

Last edited: 16 Sep 2020
    nayenezgani likes this.
  8. Grays_1890

Grays_1890 Nick Barmby

Although I said the other day about reasons we shouldn't do this due to its cost, Sunday happened and now I don't care, just do it, roll the dice, can't get any worse, we need a lift even if it is only off the pitch.

9. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin Mitchell Thomas

The agent quote won't help that happen. Didn't he say "Tottenham is where Gareth wants to be"? If I was a United fan and Bale went there, my first thought would be "he doesn't want to be here and he's only come for the money Tottenham wouldn't pay him".

I think everyone wants this move to us. It's up to Levy and his team to make it happen now.

10. milo

milo Bert Bliss Staff Member

We have with every other transfer this summer. There has been a pattern of journalists close to the club publishing very confident stories just before the deal is announced.

I don't think that we are doing it to unsettle players or put pressure on the other club (the leaks would come earlier if that was the case). I think that we are doing it to manage coverage of us, reward journalists who toe the line and to promote the club.

Baleforce likes this.
  11. Grays_1890

Grays_1890 Nick Barmby

His agent is usually consistent in his words. Always said Bale was staying and he did, for him to go on record must mean something is likely

Finney Is Back and MKSpur like this.
  12. fernadez

fernadez Ronnie Rosenthal

It's Jim White I feel sorry for, he has two days a year to shine now Levy is potentially robbing him of his moment in the yellow tie.

SteveAWOL, harr1984, MKSpur and 3 others like this.
  13. billyiddo

billyiddo David Ginola Staff Member

It's very much the 'band aid' signing that some journo labelled it as but sometimes that's what is required. I said earlier in the window this is the first time i thought signing Bale would be a mistake and probably the time it ends up happening... certainly won't stop me from jumping on the bandwagon should it go through

14. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Jack Jull

The way you play it is, "United have offered X Daniel, we want to make it happen with you, and we'll take slightly less, but we need you to get closer." That kinda thing.

15. MKSpur

MKSpur Edgar Davids

Well there is in terms of the impact of our wage structure but I’m not disputing the total investment, just the appetite for it!
    As you have out it that way maybe it’s actually not too different to the Llorente deal, which is great as the precedent has been set!!

JerusalemMan likes this.
  16. Baleforce

Baleforce Mel Hopkins

It shouldn’t affect our wage structure at all, he’ll earn way more than anyone else because he’s way better than anyone else.

metalgear likes this.
  17. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin Mitchell Thomas

You could be right but not sure I'd want to be playing those games with Daniel. He's shown he'll walk from a deal. If I was Daniel, it'd be "Well good luck with that. Enjoy explaining to United fans why your man isn't a mercenary based on your claim that he wants to play for us. He's got enough bad PR going on without those sorts of accusations."

It's a bad move from the agent if he wants a bidding war. He should have just said "Yeah Gareth is eager to get back playing with a new club."

18. Junior19

Junior19 Roger Nilsen

There is nothing wrong with a band aid. If you're bleeding. In fact, it is rather sensible.

I rather hope Oliver Holt remembers his own analogy the next time he cuts himself on a rusty nail or something, and refuses to clean the wound, and to put a band aid on it. Enjoy the gangrene, Oliver.
    "I don't need no band aid, what I really should get was a completly NEW hand! A prostetic one!"

Although, you could argue that the Gareth Bale-shaped band aid we're about to put on Spurs may be... on the wrong hand?

I don't care! I want it to happen! Now, please!

19. elltrev

elltrev Niko Kranjcar

It does feel like we'll have quite a bloated first team squad if both Bale and Reguilon sign, and we still sign another striker as some are reporting. Feels like Sessegnon and Fernandes will be the highest profile players most likely to miss out on gametime, and Ndombele is still the big question mark (with Winks or Sissoko's gametime likely suffering if Ndombele does meet Jose's standards of fitness and attitude).

Personally I see things something like the following (though obviously in practice there'll be lots of flexibility in formation and rotation of players, especially with injuries):

upload_2020-9-16_12-15-5.png

Last edited: 16 Sep 2020
    P.D. and MKSpur like this.
  20. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Johnny Morrison

Think he could only get a 11.30 tee off time.

metalgear likes this.