• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Bale (again)

As i've said i can't see conte wanting him. This bs article said it was agreed months ago. Before conte did any evaluation of the squad or what he needs.

Love Bale but he's not the right fit.
He's 33
Doesn't train.
Doesn't help out the defence.
Constantly injured.

No way would conte want him.

It's a vanity project, Saudi Sportswashing Machine might do it. Just to raise the profile of the club.

I don't think it would be, we need experienced winners and players in the team. Depends on his wages and his role in the team really. Easy to write him off but his numbers under Mourinho would suggest otherwise.

"Bale to Spurs" is about as clickbaity a clickbait as you're going to get! Whether you're for or against, you'll still click on the link, read the article, and get bombarded with adverts.

But I'll bite...

Why Bale will come to Spurs
Feels at home here.
Needs to get match fit for Wales.
World class training environment. And physio room, no doubt.
We're good enough to give him exposure, but not so good that he wouldn't get time on the pitch.
Values belonging and Wales more than a paycheque.

Why Bale won't come to Spurs
Money.
Too much effort and he just wants the easy life.
Did I mention money?

Why Spurs/Conte want Bale
Goals win matches.
We've missed a genuine impact sub for years. Bergwijn aside!

Why Spurs/Conte don't want Bale
Lack of work rate for the team.
Lack of drive/desire/whatever.
Signing a has-been who doesn't put the effort in is bad for morale, etc.

...or something like that.

I'd take Bale back in a moment, IF (and it's a big if) his wages are (relatively) low or performance linked. Bottom line is that Bale scores goals. The goals that might help us eke out wins against lesser opposition...and maybe even against the big boys.

I don't think he's bothered about going to US / Middle East / China for a massive paycheque. He either wants to play one more tournament for Wales, or head off to the golf course.

"Bale to Spurs" is about as clickbaity a clickbait as you're going to get! Whether you're for or against, you'll still click on the link, read the article, and get bombarded with adverts.

But I'll bite...

Why Bale will come to Spurs
Feels at home here.
Needs to get match fit for Wales.
World class training environment. And physio room, no doubt.
We're good enough to give him exposure, but not so good that he wouldn't get time on the pitch.
Values belonging and Wales more than a paycheque.

Why Bale won't come to Spurs
Money.
Too much effort and he just wants the easy life.
Did I mention money?

Why Spurs/Conte want Bale
Goals win matches.
We've missed a genuine impact sub for years. Bergwijn aside!

Why Spurs/Conte don't want Bale
Lack of work rate for the team.
Lack of drive/desire/whatever.
Signing a has-been who doesn't put the effort in is bad for morale, etc.

...or something like that.

I'd take Bale back in a moment, IF (and it's a big if) his wages are (relatively) low or performance linked. Bottom line is that Bale scores goals. The goals that might help us eke out wins against lesser opposition...and maybe even against the big boys.

I don't think he's bothered about going to US / Middle East / China for a massive paycheque. He either wants to play one more tournament for Wales, or head off to the golf course.

You thinking if he's playing in the mls wales won't pick him? Ofcourse they will.

You thinking if he's playing in the mls wales won't pick him? Ofcourse they will.
Yes, of course. I could have phrased that better. Bale needs to train with good players, and play against them, in a competitive league, to be at his best for Wales.

I'd bet that Wales' run to the semis in Euro 2016 means more to Bale than any of his CL medals. If they qualify for Qatar, he'll want to get them as far as possible.

Surely the reason he won’t want to go to the MLS or similar is that he’d be marquee signing and expected to play all the minutes. Can he still do that? Being a bit part player at a bigger European club is probably ideal for him.
I do wonder if he’ll just retire if Wales done qualify for the WC.

Once he’s free of the Madrid contract the weight will be lifted from his shoulders, he’s made so much money that his salary request would be more reasonable too, he can afford to be at the right club, rather than the richest one.

Once he’s free of the Madrid contract the weight will be lifted from his shoulders, he’s made so much money that his salary request would be more reasonable too, he can afford to be at the right club, rather than the richest one.
It just doesn’t feel like he has the drive though. It’s testament to his ability that he could walk around for us and still contribute but in the bigger games it feels too much of a risk to start him. I’m not sure it’s arrogance or laziness, I think he has a fear of injuring himself.
Edit: it was a real shame that return season was without crowds as that may have inspired him.

Last edited:
It just doesn’t feel like he has the drive though. It’s testament to his ability that he could walk around for us and still contribute but in the bigger games it feels too much of a risk to start him. I’m not sure it’s arrogance or laziness, I think he has a fear of injuring himself.
If he can start in cup matches and Europa League ties (if we don't qualify for the CL) to give Kane a break and be an impact sub in the league, that's money well spent.

Maybe a Kulusevski-Bergwijn strike partnership is the answer. But I suspect we'd still have to wheel out Kane after 60 minutes.

If he can start in cup matches and Europa League ties (if we don't qualify for the CL) to give Kane a break and be an impact sub in the league, that's money well spent.

Maybe a Kulusevski-Bergwijn strike partnership is the answer. But I suspect we'd still have to wheel out Kane after 60 minutes.
What wages would you offer for that role?
My concern would be that he wouldn’t really replace Kane in terms of the back to goal, taking the knocks stuff. But I agree Kulu and Bergwijn aren’t the answer either!

Denying Leicester the CL should get anyone a contract.

I'm not suggesting building the team around him, but he wasn't without value to us. 15 or so goals for the season I think? Lucas would love that return.

In a way it's crazy we're doubting it.
Any other player on loan scoring 15 goals we'd be desperate to get them back.

I would love him to come back, but I'm biased as he's my favourite Spurs player of all time (I realize that's possibly slight blasphemy)

What wages would you offer for that role?
My concern would be that he wouldn’t really replace Kane in terms of the back to goal, taking the knocks stuff. But I agree Kulu and Bergwijn aren’t the answer either!
A fiver a week plus hefty bonuses!

Seriously though, £100k/wk plus goal and win bonuses would probably be reasonable without breaking any wage structures. Maybe £150k given that he'd be on a free. Paying him £200k+ would send out the wrong message -- can't have your top earners not putting in the effort. Like Ndombele, who must have been toxic to have around the squad.

Seriously though, £100k/wk plus goal and win bonuses would probably be reasonable without breaking any wage structures. Maybe £150k given that he'd be on a free. Paying him £200k+ would send out the wrong message -- can't have your top earners not putting in the effort. Like Ndombele, who must have been toxic to have around the squad.
Yeah, if it was weighed with achievable incentives then that would give an idea of his commitment. I’d love to be wrong but I just don’t think he has that drive (at club level), although he did seem to enjoy the bantz here. To be fair, imagine going back to your old job and earning 3 or 4 times what you and your mates did before, without having to go to all the big meetings, I’d imagine I’d be pretty chipper too!

Ndombele was in no way toxic with his fellow players.

Ndombele was in no way toxic with his fellow players.
I didn't mean toxic in a "being a clown shoe" way, as he comes across as an alright guy. More that if he looks as disinterested in training as he does during games, that's got to have an effect on the rest of the squad.

But I'm guessing. Do you have better info on how he is with the other players?

Back