• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Arabic

El Guepardo

Rafael Van Der Vaart
I know this is random...but it’s posted in random...what’s the quickest way to learn Arabic? I need to learn as much as possible in a short time.

Thanks

Different types of Arabic. Classical Arabic is known everywhere but not really spoken. Which country do you need it for?

My favorite Egyptian Arabic phrase is "Bocra fill mish mIsh." Tomorrow I'm picking Apricots. You can go far on this phrase :)

I can't answer specifically on the quickest way to learn Arabic because I know next to nothing about the language / alphabet but I can offer a few points on language learning itself which I hope would be of some use!

It's really going to depend on what your aim is as to how best to approach it combined with what type of learner you are.

Galeforce is right on the app approach imo, where it's duolingo or one of the many others available. Before you can start putting sentences together you need to master all conjugations of present tense equivalent "to be" and "to have" along with basic pronouns + Your colours, numbers, days / months, animals, basic emotions yada yada yada

The two names of the game imo are routine and immersion.

Set aside time where you'll be able to practice daily, whether it's duolingo on the morning commute or using your lunch hour working through a beginner text book. Find an online teacher and have a couple lessons a week to put your basics in to practice and get your pronunciation on point.

Find a way to immerse yourself in the language as much as possible. This comes back to my point about why you're learning that will dictate which skills you need to focus on but if speaking is important then start filling in the missing building blocks that will allow you to express yourself, starting from basic requests in shops all the way up to your most cutting insights. To put this in to context, start translating your day to day life in to the target language. If you go in to a shop and ask for a pack of fags in English, google translate (keep sentences / phrases short and check with your online teacher to ensure it is correct) how you have made the request and any questions that the person in the shop has asked you. If you do this with a lot of your interactions during the day you'll fortify and expand on your knowledge and comfort in using the language.

Just make sure you don't pronounce Steve Cook Stiff rooster, like the arabic commentator consistently did yesterday.

Need some more details. What dialect of Arabic, how short is the time frame, what purposes do you need it for etc? Spoken only or will you need to read and write too?

If you’re being posted somewhere that requires learning Arabic in a hurry, ask for more money on top of any more money you’ve already asked for.

Need some more details. What dialect of Arabic, how short is the time frame, what purposes do you need it for etc? Spoken only or will you need to read and write too?

I only need to speak the language. I want to learn within a month but appreciate that that’s extremely ambitious. So really I want to find the best way to learn.

Hows this going @El Guepardo

You've no excuse if there's any mention of self isolation!

Also someone tell me how to tag people cause I really thought I had that one down..

Last edited:
I learned by doing an intense Grammar book study and then learned common vocab and sentences by heart. Then I was abroad so just spoke it as much as I could.

Rosetta stone is what many use for quick learning.

Is a great time to learn a language. Really gutted my company can't close up. Which language would you learn @spurspinter1 ?

I'm getting my Spanish in to gear because I'm heading for a year's travel in July (although it's probably a fudged plan now like everything else people have planned out..). Just recently started some ENG / ESP online exchange lessons with this Argentine girl who is absolutely stunning + extremely intelligent and luckily Buenos Aires happens to be my first destination :D It's funny because I can pick up so many of the same linguistic mistakes that Poch consistently made in his pressers, particularly misuse of infinitives depending on tense and placement of adverbs (yes I found this incredibly frustrating with MP because it must have been that nobody had the balls to correct him and he'd reached a lazy plateau with his command of English).

My French is at intermediate or thereabouts but I know in my heart of hearts from the sheer dumbfudgery grammar wise it isn't for me. It's a fun language to chat brick in and it enabled me to do some cool work over in France but I'm not looking to get to proficient level with it.

I really wanted to cover as much of the globe as possible in terms of who I could speak to, so if I was going to really get in to that, Mandarin would be the logical next move but I've left it quite late to take on a language worlds apart from our quirky little jumble of one!

How about yourself pal?

I'm getting my Spanish in to gear because I'm heading for a year's travel in July (although it's probably a fudged plan now like everything else people have planned out..). Just recently started some ENG / ESP online exchange lessons with this Argentine girl who is absolutely stunning + extremely intelligent and luckily Buenos Aires happens to be my first destination :D

Motivation sorted!

It's all too easy to slip back to English because invariably others speak better English than you do Spanish. My tip is to find someone who's worse at English than you are Spanish!

It's funny because I can pick up so many of the same linguistic mistakes that Poch consistently made in his pressers, particularly misuse of infinitives depending on tense and placement of adverbs (yes I found this incredibly frustrating with MP because it must have been that nobody had the balls to correct him and he'd reached a lazy plateau with his command of English).

My French is at intermediate or thereabouts but I know in my heart of hearts from the sheer dumbfudgery grammar wise it isn't for me. It's a fun language to chat brick in and it enabled me to do some cool work over in France but I'm not looking to get to proficient level with it.

I really wanted to cover as much of the globe as possible in terms of who I could speak to, so if I was going to really get in to that, Mandarin would be the logical next move but I've left it quite late to take on a language worlds apart from our quirky little jumble of one!

How about yourself pal?

No language is easy, but Spanish is possibly one of the simpler ones. Certainly more so than Chinese!

I can scrape by in French, Spanish, Russian and Arabic. Move around, buy stuff, be polite. I would like to focus on one and really improve. I work with Russian software developers, interact with them remotely each week. All but one speaks perfect English though and Russian grammar is insane. Even Russian's don't get it right all the time. So it's a toss-up between French and Spanish. It's vital to practice and speak the language as you learn it (rehearse and use it to get it to sink in) so I just end up swatting up before I go to France or Spain.

Back