1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

American politics

Discussion in 'Randomination' started by Danishfurniturelover, 26 Jan 2016.

1. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

Surely Biden now has to expand the size of the supreme court and appoint 4 human beings to balance things up again?

Also, in general, how can a court be supreme to the government in a country? Courts should be independent arbitrators of laws, but not decide them

Mikey10 likes this.
  2. braineclipse

braineclipse David Ginola

Been for and against court packing, seen good arguments for and against.

These decisions definitely swing me more in the pro direction, fudging hell. Still not sure how that plays out well longer term. Definitely won't look good from a Republican point of view, could easily trigger several more such decisions, where does it end? But at the same time how much power should these 9 people have to make these blatantly political decisions?

Biden doing it, I think that's very unlikely.

monkeybarry likes this.
  3. Robbo

Robbo Chris Perry

So strange there's no limit to how long the supreme court justices can hold their positions. Especially now they're more political than ever. I just don't see the logic of life time appointments, or how it can possibly be beneficial for the American public.

4. braineclipse

It's partly just the way it's been for a long time and changing it would be cost to impossible.

I think part of the reasoning would have been to keep the supreme court fairly conservative (not politically conservative necessarily, but resistant to change) and not an institution that will quickly move from one position to another. The wish for balance between some institutions that can and do change relatively quickly and others that do not.

In part perhaps also a wish to limit power, a counter balance to the president and congress as they would only be able to change the makeup of the supreme court over a relatively long time, so a protection against populism for example.

Good ideas in theory, arguably also in practice for many years. I'm no historian, but I think the founders looked at Roman history and tried to put in balancing factors to prevent some rather unfortunate outcomes.

Right now there's (imo) quite clearly an activist supreme court, actively looking to overturn existing judicial precedent based on political ideology. A job that should fall on the legislature. It's my favourite buttplug. It's no longer a check on the political power of the president or legislature, it's just a political power grab.

5. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

Stopping your country becoming one of the most socially repressive places on earth is surely worth hitting the nuclear option. This is a stain akin to the Gulags

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  6. braineclipse

I think that's an overstatement, though I get your point.

I think part of the calculation should be, how will this impact the next election. Not because I'm particularly concerned about Biden being president, but if doing this helps mobilise the right, help them retake the oval and Congress then you're not even back to where you started in a couple of years, you're even worse off.

It could be worth it. Biden doing it though... I would be shocked.

thfcsteff likes this.
  7. Jordinho

Jordinho John Cameron Staff Member

8. Jordinho

9. Jurgen the German

Jurgen the German Jimmy Cantrell

I love Murica as I have family there, but i couldn’t live there. For one of the shining examples of democracy that it is, it’s still a very backward country. As much as I criticise the left, I’d 100% be a democrat if I did live there. The republicans are nuts and have been completely absorbed by Trump.

Baleforce likes this.
  10. Rorschach

Rorschach Vivian Woodward

Trump is fudged. That was some damning testimony.

11. Jurgen the German

He’s got more lives than a fudging cat. He will get away with it like he always does. I’d settle for him never being able to run for president again.

Robbo, Mikey10 and Baleforce like this.
  12. Rorschach

More lives than a bag of cats but I'd put money on him going down now, or at least being indicted. Direct testimony today was stunning stuff and really only the tip of the iceberg. The DOJ likely has all this and more, including the documentary they were filming. That's how confident they were it would succeed.

13. monkeybarry

monkeybarry Chris Perry

There is a joke about shooting your load in there - but I think I'll leave it

14. Rorschach

Disgraceful. A fudging mind-numbingly stupid decision based on greed.

Got to go nuclear on them now. Expand the court, impeachments, whatever it takes.

thfcsteff likes this.
  15. Jurgen the German

Turns out Obama was smart to politely hint to Ruth Bader Ginsburg that she should step down.

thfcsteff and Robbo like this.
  16. Robbo

Robbo Chris Perry

I'm getting increasingly confident I will experience the end of USA as we know it in my lifetime.

Unless the world ends first, of course.

17. Jurgen the German

Saw someone describe Murica as a “toxic marriage where people do things for spite”. Couldn’t think of a more perfect analogy.

ShipOfTheseus likes this.
  18. Jordinho

19. Robbo

Robbo Chris Perry

Yeah, and rape is involuntary intercourse, while murder is involuntary death.

Rorschach likes this.
  20. Jurgen the German

Another reason I don’t like political correctness. This is right wing PC as opposed to left wing PC. It’s essentially sensitivity over truth.

braineclipse likes this.