• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Alasdair Gold's updates

What's the skinny with this guy then - gets inside info? I can't bare that london news website he posts on due to the ads and so avoid the majority of his content by default

Bingo. That was my reaction a while back when I first tried to read the site. It's dreadful with ad crap all over the place. I happily pay $75 a year to read The Athletic - for far more than Spurs, or football - and never get bored reading articles about other clubs. Top, top quality site that let's it's triffic work do the talking.

I don't want to dislike anyone putting time and effort into covering Spurs but Gold's site is just a big, bland popcorn machine mostly full of recycled information and the most anodyne speculation. No wonder the club love him. Well behaved, toes the company line, never creates or perpetuates controversy. Basically, nothing to see here.

I quite like all 3
They have different views and therefore balance their comments different ways
Jack Pitt Brooke is a city fan but always seems fair to me on us. He can be a bit negative sometimes but then goes to other extremes. He is also genuinely invested in Tottenham
Ali Gold is ok IMO - he does hold his own views as well as the clubs but he doesn’t make up crap like so many others to get clicks and that’s a good thing IMO
Dan’s a nice guy but a little more pessimistic which again offers a balance.
When I see people writing about us form the Daiky Fail, Guardian and Independent I do read it... mainly see how they can spin their article against Jose

Pitt-Brooke has vastly improved of late. Especially since he's taken over from the specious Charlie Eccleshare, a Spurs-swiping gooner who's off on paternity leave (can't believe he's been allowed to breed). But other writers at The Athletic have come in to help carry the hod with Spurs coverage and it's by far the best I see anywhere.

The fcukin' Daily Melee loves to have resident gooner geek Sami Mokbel spin up gossipy bullschit about us, so, filter those accordingly. And the Guardian's sports editor, Barry Glendenning, maybe doesn't hate Spurs, but loves to mock us. I like much of what I read from the Telegraph's Jason Burt. I wouldn't waste my time reading red tops like the Sun, Daily Mirror etc.

Like him or loathe him, I find his reports useful.

Particularly the "transcripts" of Mourinhos press conferences. I'm sick to the bone with all the spin doctors who twist and turn on every word to create "angles", no matter what. So if I haven't been able to see the press conference my self on youtube, this will be my first port of call, since everyone else only gives extracts, soundbites, or "interpretations" of Mourinho.

Does actually reporting what was actually said make him Comical Ali?

Bingo. That was my reaction a while back when I first tried to read the site. It's dreadful with ad crap all over the place. I happily pay $75 a year to read The Athletic - for far more than Spurs, or football - and never get bored reading articles about other clubs. Top, top quality site that let's it's triffic work do the talking.

I don't want to dislike anyone putting time and effort into covering Spurs but Gold's site is just a big, bland popcorn machine mostly full of recycled information and the most anodyne speculation. No wonder the club love him. Well behaved, toes the company line, never creates or perpetuates controversy. Basically, nothing to see here.
Couldn’t have put it better myself ...

Like him or loathe him, I find his reports useful.

Particularly the "transcripts" of Mourinhos press conferences. I'm sick to the bone with all the spin doctors who twist and turn on every word to create "angles", no matter what. So if I haven't been able to see the press conference my self on youtube, this will be my first port of call, since everyone else only gives extracts, soundbites, or "interpretations" of Mourinho.

Does actually reporting what was actually said make him Comical Ali?
Alasdair Carbon.

Pitt-Brooke has vastly improved of late. Especially since he's taken over from the specious Charlie Eccleshare, a Spurs-swiping gooner who's off on paternity leave (can't believe he's been allowed to breed). But other writers at The Athletic have come in to help carry the hod with Spurs coverage and it's by far the best I see anywhere.

The fcukin' Daily Melee loves to have resident gooner geek Sami Mokbel spin up gossipy bullschit about us, so, filter those accordingly. And the Guardian's sports editor, Barry Glendenning, maybe doesn't hate Spurs, but loves to mock us. I like much of what I read from the Telegraph's Jason Burt. I wouldn't waste my time reading red tops like the Sun, Daily Mirror etc.

I've always found Charlie Eccleshare to be very positive about us despite being a Gooner - I was genuinely surprised to find he supported them having heard him talking about us. I guess its easy to apply some confirmation bias - usually if I hear that anyone is Woolwich I immediately start to mentally discredit anything they say or do.

For a reporter in The Sun Martin Lipton is probably the best connected journo in the mainstream and a genuine Spurs fan who manages to find a nice balance between objective reporting but not being afraid to confirm his Spurs supporting when you hear him on podcasts/radio.

I've always found Charlie Eccleshare to be very positive about us despite being a Gooner - I was genuinely surprised to find he supported them having heard him talking about us. I guess its easy to apply some confirmation bias - usually if I hear that anyone is Woolwich I immediately start to mentally discredit anything they say or do.

For a reporter in The Sun Martin Lipton is probably the best connected journo in the mainstream and a genuine Spurs fan who manages to find a nice balance between objective reporting but not being afraid to confirm his Spurs supporting when you hear him on podcasts/radio.
He has written books about us too hasn’t he?

He has written books about us too hasn’t he?

th

Jolly good to learn about the boy Lipton. As for the dreadful Eccleshare, he's only doing what he has to do to keep a job. During his time with the Telegraph (prior to that, an editor of Arsenal fanzines) he was routinely involved in trash talking Spurs and writing the sort of crafty, malicious copy that indicated his total disrespect for us. There was a snotty arrogance pervading his work. And now he's our beat writer on The Athletic because of a few well-placed bar tab pickups. Fcuk that action.

Look, I have zero problem if someone wants to be a fan of any club. State your claim and back it for all your worth. I'll give you my complete respect. And, for the record, I share my four MLS season tickets with an ardent Arsenal fan. Who's appalled that his son is a Chelsea fan. My own son supports ManU. And there's never a harsh word amongst us. Light banter? For sure.

But Eccleshare is a heart and soul gooner and there's often a sly tone or crafty angle to his work that invites Spurs fans to comment critically and negatively on the club. He knows what he's doing. I'm fine with City Boy Pitt Brooke. But Eccleshare will never have my full trust or respect.

Back