• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

A gettable deep playmaker (pure speculation once again)

braineclipse

Willie Hall
The next Carrick or Modric. Someone who can help us play through pressure, control the tempo of a game, create space, just about always be available to receive a pass, at the very least competent enough defensively to play in that central spot (preferably even a bit better than competent). Someone who will make people ask "what does he do" and complain about the lack of goals and assists as they wonder why people rate him.

I don't think Holtby, Eriksen or Carroll are ready for that role yet at least.

I know that we spent £25m+ on Paulinho and Capoue this summer and £15m on Dembele last summer as well as having Sandro the undroppable in our squad already. I know signing new first choice central midfielder would cause some issues with who plays etc. I miss the hell out of Modric though and it took us ages to replace Carrick when he was sold. I think we need more skill and passing ability in the centre of the park to progress. I'm willing to wait on the new manager to figure out how to make it work with the 4 big lads we already have if he thinks it can be done, but if we were to go hunting for that special central midfielder. Who would it be?

I really rate Banega, haven't watched him all that much, but he's been really impressive when I have seen him. Was top or close to the top on my summer wish list. Should be available-ish from a cash-strapped Valencia, but won't be cheap.

In a way Cabaye would be perfect. I think he's good enough, although not outstanding like Carrick and Modric. More importantly he is adapted to the league and would be someone that could help others around him fit in instead of being someone who needs time himself. I think Saudi Sportswashing Machine would sell, but not cheaply. Could be our "Arteta signing".

What other awesome suggestions are there?

The next Carrick or Modric. Someone who can help us play through pressure, control the tempo of a game, create space, just about always be available to receive a pass, at the very least competent enough defensively to play in that central spot (preferably even a bit better than competent). Someone who will make people ask "what does he do" and complain about the lack of goals and assists as they wonder why people rate him.

I don't think Holtby, Eriksen or Carroll are ready for that role yet at least.

I know that we spent £25m+ on Paulinho and Capoue this summer and £15m on Dembele last summer as well as having Sandro the undroppable in our squad already. I know signing new first choice central midfielder would cause some issues with who plays etc. I miss the hell out of Modric though and it took us ages to replace Carrick when he was sold. I think we need more skill and passing ability in the centre of the park to progress. I'm willing to wait on the new manager to figure out how to make it work with the 4 big lads we already have if he thinks it can be done, but if we were to go hunting for that special central midfielder. Who would it be?

I really rate Banega, haven't watched him all that much, but he's been really impressive when I have seen him. Was top or close to the top on my summer wish list. Should be available-ish from a cash-strapped Valencia, but won't be cheap.

In a way Cabaye would be perfect. I think he's good enough, although not outstanding like Carrick and Modric. More importantly he is adapted to the league and would be someone that could help others around him fit in instead of being someone who needs time himself. I think Saudi Sportswashing Machine would sell, but not cheaply. Could be our "Arteta signing".

What other awesome suggestions are there?

I fully agree that a deeplying playmaker is what is desperately needed to make the attacking play tick. I really enjoy watching Dembele at times but he can also be very frustrating and doesn't seem to be a great passer and I have to admit that until now Paulinho just looks like a better version Jenas (although it's still early days). Sandro has been rock solid but has his limits when we're on the ball.

Don't know enough about Banega but Cabaye would be awesome and from the reports during the summer, he should be available for around 20M. Pirlo is IMO the best defensive playmaker there's ever been but he's unfortunately probably too old now. Alonso is reported to be on his way out of Madrid with only 6 months left on his contract. He'd be an amazing signing but I think pretty much every other top club wants to sign him as well.

If AVB had stayed we'd've had a chance of swapping Dembele for Banega.

Now recalling Tom Carroll is the only option (and one I wouldn't take, as he'd still be 7th choice CM)

Why are our options limited by AVB leaving?

No decent player is going to come to a rudderless club in crisis. January is going to be all about stopping players leave, rather than bringing them in.

Is a key player from a world cup challenger like Banega really going to come and play for some unknown caretaker who doesn't have a clue and for a club with no prospect of European football any more?

No decent player is going to come to a rudderless club in crisis. January is going to be all about stopping players leave, rather than bringing them in.

Is a key player from a world cup challenger like Banega really going to come and play for some unknown caretaker who doesn't have a clue and for a club with no prospect of European football any more?

Depends on how quickly we get a new manager in. I'm not panicking yet personally.

No more cm's. Our previous manager was allowed the luxury of bringing in 4 central players in one and a half seasons...spending over 50m. If we're still talking about the need of a cm now then he failed miserably.

I'd give Tom Carroll a shot. He looks like a young Xavi in the making to me. It's maybe too much for him to be one of a midfield pair but as one of a midfield trio he should have the protection he needs.

And bring Benny back too, even if it is just for cover.

Why are our options limited by AVB leaving?

One of the good things about having a continental coach I feel is getting some of these players. Even if Tim was appointed as full time manager the chances of him persuading a promising young Argie to join us are I feel virtually nil.

One of the good things about having a continental coach I feel is getting some of these players. Even if Tim was appointed as full time manager the chances of him persuading a promising young Argie to join us are I feel virtually nil.

Do not agree that a foreign coach gives you an edge when buying young foreign players. I think it is down mainly to whether the club they are at wants to sell, whether the player wants to come and receive a massive increase in wages and live in a great city. Also history says it happens as lots of clubs in this league and even the league below sign lots of foreign players.

I would like to see Tom Carrol given a go. Every time he receives the ball his head is up and he's on the look out for the next pass whilst also having decent ability on the ball.

tom_carroll730.jpg

I don't get why we need to sign so many new players, with people like Gylfi Sigurðsson (24), Lewis Holtby (23), Tom Carrol (21), Erik Lamela (21) and Christian Eriksen (21) on the club's books bursting with potential I am surprised that people are so eager to buy. On top of that we seem to have an academy that is finally producing young players that deserve to be a given a chance such as Shaquile Coulthirst and Alex Pritchard. With the likes of Andros Townsend, Harry Kane, Jake Livermoore and Steven Caulker proving that the academy is starting to and can deliver what we need to become a major force.

Last edited:
No more cm's. Our previous manager was allowed the luxury of bringing in 4 central players in one and a half seasons...spending over 50m. If we're still talking about the need of a cm now then he failed miserably.

One of the reasons he was sacked, I highly doubt it was just results based.

I would like to see Tom Carrol given a go. Every time he receives the ball his head is up and he's on the look out for the next pass whilst also having decent ability on the ball.

tom_carroll730.jpg

I don't get why we need to sign so many new players, with people like Gylfi Sigurðsson (24), Lewis Holtby (23), Tom Carrol (21), Erik Lamela (21) and Christian Eriksen (21) on the club's books bursting with potential I am surprised that people are so eager to buy. On top of that we seem to have an academy that is finally producing young players that deserve to be a given a chance such as Shaquile Coulthirst and Alex Pritchard. With the likes of Andros Townsend, Harry Kane, Jake Livermoore and Steven Caulker proving that the academy is starting to and can deliver what we need to become a major force.

Another midfield player is not what we need month, rather a striker and a left back

Back