• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2020 - Pushing up the daisies

My biggest issue with his second goal is the standard of defending was like something out the Derby County, 9 point premier league season. Having Maradona waltz through and score is less special when the defending is that bad.

Factor in the pitch, the heat, the occasion and the fact Fenwick had already tried breaking his ankle. In particular, watch that twist/turn and accelerate away from inside his own half before he slaloms past our noddys. A brilliant, brilliant goal,

I posted this on my FB page earlier...

Artists and geniuses do not operate from the same planet we do. They're here, we see and experience their talents, their gifts, their energy and their auras, but their minds and human electricity are from another world. Where we see black and white, they see rainbows. Where we see tall, they see no ceiling. Where we see good and bad, they see stratospheric life going where it needs to go, without censor or restraint.
I believe these rare individuals should be wholly venerated. Because there is only ever one.
Diego Maradona painted pictures (masterpieces) and wrote poems (laureate level) with his left foot, building legend and invigorating millions with his resolute, barrel-chested genius. He did so on pitches that make your gardens look like a putting green, and he did so against defenders who would be in jail today.
Oh Diego...an explosive, beautiful talent on the pitch and a hedonistic Shakespearean drama off it...
Women, deification, cocaine, Mafioso,
Shooting at the press and hangin' with Fidel Castro
And you know I haven't touched the half of it. A life lived to fullest? It would appear so, complete with regrets, tragedies, several dances with death and hot, steaming controversies.
I was privileged to see him in 1981 for Argentina in a friendly at Wembley, and sad to miss him in Ossie's testimonial match several years later. I visited La Bombonera and the El Caminato neighborhood, and wish I could've seen him for Boca or Napoli.
It is my view that any Englishman who holds the Hand of GHod against him is being exceptionally small-minded and myopic. Did he cheat? Yes. Have many others with a 1/100th of his talent? Yes. Could any other player in the world have scored that second goal? No. And to understand that 6 minute stretch in the '86 WC QF at the Azteca, you'd need to know where he came from (the proper streets, the real bricktiest of barrios), you'd need to understand every inch of where he came from and the weight on his shoulders, and specifically-speaking, you'd need to know what it is to have someone try to break your ankle in a game. Add to that the pressures of being Argentina's shining light and only hope...I can't be bitter. There is so much genius to admire, why would I be?
I have watched many highlights today, and I am saving a repeat viewing of Kapadia's brilliant Maradona documentary for the next couple of days. But there is one which is just eternal, and it is a clip of Victor Hugo Morales commentary of that incredible goal in '86 against us. BTW, quote aside from the slalom around our team, note the absolutely OUTRAGEOUS turn, twist and accelerate pirouette move at the start of that goal... I also suggest you read the translation as you listen to the clip. It is pure poetry.
RIP Diego Maradona, and thank you.
“Maradona has the ball, two mark him, he touches the ball. The genius of world football dashes to the right and leaves the third and is going to pass to Burruchaga. It’s still Maradona! Genius! Genius! Genius!Ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta. Gooooooooooal! Gooooooooooal! I want to cry! Dear GHod! Long live football! Gooooooooooal! Diegoal! Maradona! It’s enough to make you cry, forgive me. Maradona, in an unforgettable run, in the play of all time. Cosmic kite! What planet are you from? Leaving in your wake so many Englishmen, so that the whole country is a clenched fist shouting for Argentina? Argentina 2, England 0. Diegoal, Diegoal, Diego Armando Maradona. Thank you, GHod, for football, for Maradona, for these tears, for this, Argentina 2, England 0.”

Last edited:

The Lineker tribute there is really good. Very articulate, heartfelt and some great stories. I could listen to stories like that forever.

Maradona was the best I'd seen until Messi by a distance. Wonderful player. Obviously he was far from a saint and there is a lot of unsavoury stories about him. Being Irish, Jack Charlton's death hit me much harder but it is very sad to see a genius die at such a relatively young age. And, whatever you might think of him, he was a genius.

Artists and geniuses do not operate from the same planet we do. They're here, we see and experience their talents, their gifts, their energy and their auras, but their minds and human electricity are from another world. Where we see black and white, they see rainbows. Where we see tall, they see no ceiling. Where we see good and bad, they see stratospheric life going where it needs to go, without censor or restraint.
I believe these rare individuals should be wholly venerated. Because there is only ever one.
Diego Maradona painted pictures and wrote poems with his left foot, building legend and invigorating millions with his resolute, barrel-chested genius. He did so on pitches that make your grades look like a putting green, and he did against defenders who would be in jail today.
Oh Diego...an explosive, beautiful talent on the pitch and a hedonistic Shakespearean drama off it...
And you know I haven't touched the half of it. A life lived to fullest? It would appear so, complete with regrets, tragedies, several dances with death and hot, steaming controversies.
I was privileged to see him in 1981 for Argentina in a friendly at Wembley, and sad to miss him in Ossie's testimonial match several years later. I visited La Bombonera and the El Caminato neighborhood, and wish I could've seen him for Boca or Napoli.
It is my view that any Englishman who holds the Hand of GHod against him is being exceptionally small-minded and myopic. Did he cheat? Yes. Have many others with a 1/100th of his talent? Yes. Could any other player in the world have scored that second goal? No. And to understand that 6 minute stretch in the '86 WC QF at the Azteca, you'd need to know where he came from (the proper streets, the real bricktiest of barrios), you'd need to understand every inch of where he came from and the weight on his shoulders, and specifically-speaking, you'd need to know what it is to have someone try to break your ankle in a game. Add to that the pressures of being Argentina's shining light and only hope...I can't be bitter. There is so much genius to admire, why would I be?
I have watched many highlights today, and I am saving a repeat viewing of Kapadia's brilliant Maradona documentary for the next couple of days. But there is one which is just eternal, and it is a clip of Victor Hugo Morales commentary of that incredible goal in '86 against us. BTW, quote aside from the slalom around our team, note the absolutely OUTRAGEOUS turn, twist and accelerate pirouette move at the start of that goal... I also suggest you read the translation as you listen to the clip. It is pure poetry.
“Maradona has the ball, two mark him, he touches the ball. The genius of world football dashes to the right and leaves the third and is going to pass to Burruchaga. It’s still Maradona! Genius! Genius! Genius!Ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta. Gooooooooooal! Gooooooooooal! I want to cry! Dear GHod! Long live football! Gooooooooooal! Diegoal! Maradona! It’s enough to make you cry, forgive me. Maradona, in an unforgettable run, in the play of all time. Cosmic kite! What planet are you from? Leaving in your wake so many Englishmen, so that the whole country is a clenched fist shouting for Argentina? Argentina 2, England 0. Diegoal, Diegoal, Diego Armando Maradona. Thank you, GHod, for football, for Maradona, for these tears, for this, Argentina 2, England 0.”

That sent shivers down my back. Thank you steff.

I watched that game again in its entirety a few months ago, England were brick, and well beaten, Hoddle in particular was a disgrace, did no defensive work at all, the only England players to come out of it with any credit were Lineker, Barnes and Reid.

Maybe England were outplayed, but I seem to remember Lineker going very, very close to getting a 'winner' equalizer. I'm also pretty sure that the heat fudged them over.

Diego Maradona painted pictures (masterpieces) and wrote poems (laureate level) with his left foot, building legend and invigorating millions with his resolute, barrel-chested genius. He did so on pitches that make your gardens look like a putting green, and he did so against defenders who would be in jail today.

Brilliant Steff and so true, i was lucky enough to have been at Ossies testimonial and just watching him warm up with tricks was unreal.

The Lineker tribute there is really good. Very articulate, heartfelt and some great stories. I could listen to stories like that forever.

Maradona was the best I'd seen until Messi by a distance. Wonderful player. Obviously he was far from a saint and there is a lot of unsavoury stories about him. Being Irish, Jack Charlton's death hit me much harder but it is very sad to see a genius die at such a relatively young age. And, whatever you might think of him, he was a genius.

Maradona Shi ts messi.

Maradona Shi ts messi.

It’s opinions but I can’t agree. I think Messi at his best was mind bogglingly brilliant. An artist and his record backs that up. Maradona was phenomenal too but I think Messi was better than him at his best and his best lasted for far longer.

That said, there’s definitely an argument to be made for Maradona. It’s a great disagreement to have. I’m delighted to have seen two such incredible talents and when you throw Ronaldo into the mix, you have three footballing geniuses.

It’s opinions but I can’t agree. I think Messi at his best was mind bogglingly brilliant. An artist and his record backs that up. Maradona was phenomenal too but I think Messi was better than him at his best and his best lasted for far longer.

That said, there’s definitely an argument to be made for Maradona. It’s a great disagreement to have. I’m delighted to have seen two such incredible talents and when you throw Ronaldo into the mix, you have three footballing geniuses.

Messi certainly has longevity on his side. I think that Maradona at his best was a far better player

I wish I had seen him play live. Was amazing seeing spurs at Wembley play Ronaldo and Messi. But never got to see Maradona.

He was the great player for me, no one else got close. Was just a different level to everyone else.

Different times, but but the ball and tackles were much heavier then, and refs more prone to look the other way to let the game flow. The Messi we know wouldn't last 3 matches during the era maradonna played in.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Cosmic kite! [emoji16]

Those two goals... Hand of GHod and the solo against England to me is Maradonna's self portrait. Ruthless genius. He deserves a wider berth compared to mere mortals.

I think the game moves forward so rapidly that most players would be less in subsequent eras, just through preparation and conditioning, I don’t think that would be the case with Maradona though. The reasons for comparison with Messi are obvious, but its traits of other modern greats that differentiate him, he had the determination and the belief that has been so important to Ronaldo and Zlatan, the attitude and non stop effort of Bale, and of course, the selflessness to cheat for the benefit of his team, that we see so often in Lamela.

Different times, but but the ball and tackles were much heavier then, and refs more prone to look the other way to let the game flow. The Messi we know wouldn't last 3 matches during the era maradonna played in.

Comparing players across a time span like this is very difficult. So many things hehe changed it's impossible to know how the players would have performed in different circumstances.

I love Maradona. He's an icon amongst icons and always will be. In a way the tragedy part of the drama plays into the joy and celebrations and makes for a bigger story, but I hope things can be learned about how people are treated, but my hopes aren't high on that front.

Back