• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT Tottenham Hotspur Vs Leicester City (FA Cup)***

True...but i think Poch will err on the side of making extra sure in this case, hence why i think we'll see a strong line-up after last season..

I think Poch is pretty single minded and is likely to pick the team that he thinks is in the best interests of the club. I think that it is very unlikely that he would let complaints from a small, vocal minority dictate how he would approach a game.

I think Poch is pretty single minded and is likely to pick the team that he thinks is in the best interests of the club. I think that it is very unlikely that he would let complaints from a small, vocal minority dictate how he would approach a game.

I think he'll know that it's in the best interests of the club to stay in the FA Cup (which we have a big tradition in, leaving aside the last quarter of a century drought) for as possible. He'll also know that Leicester will not be a team to be underestimated and to beat them we'll likely have to play a strong side - especially at home and on the BBC..

Vorm
Trippier
Wimmer
Vertonghen
Rose
Mason
carroll
Onomah
Chadli
Eriksen
Son

That would be my team. Yes, under strength, but our league placing is looking strong, time to give key players a rest. Plus, those chosen here will be given the chance to prove themselves. If we lose, just means we'll have more rest periods to keep players fresh. Yes, that's understating a loss, as I want us to be winning cups, but sometimes choices must be made & it's hardly as if the team that I've selected is weak. Other than Wimmer & Vorm, all others have been selected for the first team recently.

If we rotate and lose, I can assure you that there will be more flak for Poch than if we just look dead on our feet come March, because given our playing style, I think a lot of people already assume that such an occurrence is inevitable anyway. Remember last year, close to the CC final? We tried to rotate the squad, and it didn't work: that was exemplified by the loss at Fiorentina, funnily enough. Why try rotating too much now, when we have a difficult but eminently beatable opponent in a competition we can win?

Luckily Pochettino seems perfectly capable of standing up to whatever flak both fans and the press will throw his way.

I don't think one example of us rotating and not getting the immediate result is a reason to never rotate again. In fact it hardly qualifies as reasoning at all...

The reasons to rotate have been outline many times. I really can't imagine you find yourself completely unaware of them at this point.

There will be blowhards shouting off no matter what the team selection or result.

This is true. Particularly if the result doesn't go our way, either in this game, the league game, the following Sunderland game or at some point in March...

-------------------------------------------

I've tried to make this point in the past, but I'll try again.

There are benefits and disadvantages to most strategies Pochettino can choose now with regards to squad rotation. Finding the right balanced decision for him involves a lot of information not available to us, and the evaluation of his strategy must go beyond looking just at the results if it is to be fair.

I think Pochettino deserves the benefit of the doubt whatever he chooses to do with regards to rotation in these 3 games. I think it's worth assuming that he does what he does for good reasons and that whatever he does perhaps we as fans are not in the best position to judge if he got it right or not regardless of the result. Perhaps not being categorical about him getting it wrong if one disagrees is not the best idea. Because if he hasn't earned the benefit of your doubt yet it's probably time to get a twitter account...

I don't think Poch will rotate as much as everyone seems to think. Certainly in past Europa League and domestic cup games he has generally made 5-6 changes maximum, so I would expect something like this:

Lloris
Walker
Alderwierald
Wimmer
Rose

Bentaleb
Carroll

Lamela
Mason
Chadli

Son

with Onomah, Winks, Carter Vickers on the bench alongside regular players such as Kane, Eriksen and Dier. Wouldn't be surprised though to see both Kane and Eriksen starting as well

Last edited:
I would to love win the FA Cup this season it's been far too long and I hope Poch does take it seriously, but Kane for one needs a rest. As does Alli.

And the same fans who are screaming for mass changes will be screaming at Poch and the players if we get knocked out.

I'm calling for a 2nd string to be selected -- if we get knocked out as a result, I wouldn't be crying about us fielding an understrength team. I'd only be angry for us rotating heavily if; 1. our squad players were rubbish (they aren't they are good enough to win a home game against an opposition who will likely be resting some of their own players); 2. we had nothing else to play for (we have a very rare opportunity to compete in the title race this season, we should do everything we can to seize it and rest our best players if we can).

If we rotate and lose, I won't be happy at losing, but I won't be angry at the decision to rotate.

Leicester aren't going to win the league, they know that. They are in 49 points so safe from relegation so what's to stop them putting out a strong side? They have more chance of winning the cup than top 4.

They are unlikely to be in this position again for many years -- imo, they would be foolish if they didn't rest their players. They can have a go at the FA Cup every year, but they are unlikely to be in the mix for Champions League place in the near future.

Completely agree with @braineclipse. We can win this game with the "reserve" team, and equally, we can lose with our 1st team playing. Ultimately Poch will pick a team based on a number of factors and data we don't have a rats ass clue about! He won't change 11 players, and he won't put out the same 11 as last game, that I'm sure of.

Leicester aren't going to win the league, they know that. They are in 49 points so safe from relegation so what's to stop them putting out a strong side? They have more chance of winning the cup than top 4.
Possibly but what is the more desirable prize for them? They have as good a shot for top 4 this season as they are likely to have in a very long time. Although it rankles the CL group stages is a prize in itself and for a club the size of Leicester that experience would be one the fans would cherish, just as we did. I think they'll prioritise the league above all else.

They are unlikely to be in this position again for many years -- imo, they would be foolish if they didn't rest their players. They can have a go at the FA Cup every year, but they are unlikely to be in the mix for Champions League place in the near future.
My thoughts exactly ;)

High time we made some noise in the FA cup there is a whole generation of fans that haven't seen us in an fa cup final.The rotated team is good enough to win this tie.Every team will rest players .Kane and Alli shouldn't even be on the bench.

Clearly a balance between rotating and selecting our first team must be achieved - and Poch and Co are best placed to know what to do. From the limited evidence of my own eyes, I would select the following

........................Vorm........................

Trippier Wimmer........Verts..........Rose

...........Bentaleb .....Mason...............

Onomah...........Carroll..........Chadli

.......................Son......................

Thereby resting Lloris, Walker, Davies, Toby, Dier, Alli, Dembele, Eriksen, Lamella and Kane. That is a full 10 players.A real chance for our squad players a chance to shine.

Lloris is too valuable to risk at this stage of the FA cup. Same for the rest of them really. This is probably the last time we can sensibly risk wholesale changes and expect to win the game. The team may be a bit short up front ( oh how good it would be to have another CF right now!!!) but the Mason/Bentaleb pairing is tried and tested and we have a fair bit of creativity and goals in that team potentially. I have belief that this team will beat Leicester.

We are getting toward the business end of the season and tiredness is one of our few enemies.

Possibly but what is the more desirable prize for them? They have as good a shot for top 4 this season as they are likely to have in a very long time. Although it rankles the CL group stages is a prize in itself and for a club the size of Leicester that experience would be one the fans would cherish, just as we did. I think they'll prioritise the league above all else.

Their squad is too thin to do otherwise IMO. If they go for everything, the likelihood is they will fall between both stools.

Back