• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Game Is About Glory - A Bad Plan, Poorly Executed

milo

Jack L. Jones
Season 2 Episode 13

This week @thfcsteff, @GPRD81 and @milo try to make holistic sense of what happened at the Deathstar. Oh, and Kenneth Branagh introduced proceedings with his best Brian Blessed impression and Harry Dean Stanton drops some heavy philosophy too. You know you can’t resist such aural therapy…

Apple Podcasts

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-game-is-about-glory/id1549996381

Spotify

https://open.spotify.com/show/2TL6nSBfDK0Dn7laU2Vcqp?si=zwUheITvQnSIyqyzKR0CE

Google Podcasts

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...2ahUKEwizwpz19K3vAhWD0YUKHf7ZBcgQ9sEGegQIARAC

RSS Feed

https://feeds.acast.com/public/shows/5ff4636ed6e3f1135f46f0cb

Looking forward to listening to this one tomorrow from my sun lounger.
I made the huge mistake of listening to the Last Word on Spurs pod this morning, which was mega depressing. Although in some strange way it made me feel a little better about things because even in the depth of absolute despair at yesterday’s showing, listening to their utter negativity about everything Spurs made me feel a bit defensive, as if I were listening to non-Spurs fans talking about us, if that makes sense.
I have higher expectations from our pod (although doom and gloom and exasperation and disappointment after yesterday is to be expected).

I made the huge mistake of listening to the Last Word on Spurs pod this morning, which was mega depressing. Although in some strange way it made me feel a little better about things because even in the depth of absolute despair at yesterday’s showing, listening to their utter negativity about everything Spurs made me feel a bit defensive, as if I were listening to non-Spurs fans talking about us, if that makes sense.
I have higher expectations from our pod (although doom and gloom and exasperation and disappointment after yesterday is to be expected).

I'll be honest with you, it's not our cheeriest episode but it's not knee-jerky. We try to work out what went wrong and how far the problems go.

Today’s View From the Lane pod is worth a listen. It’s improved since Danny Kelly started hosting.

As ever, I really enjoyed the pod. One thing though, you talked about our tactics bypassing the midfield. I am not really sure that that was the plan. (I don’t know what the plan may have been) It looked, to me, like the arse forwards made a real effort to press Dier and Sánchez, and this saw them either hoofing it long, or passing to Lloris so he could hoof it up field (or out of play). We haven’t coped well with being pressed since Dembele left, but I think Dier and Sánchez are especially vulnerable to pressure, with predictable results.

As ever, I really enjoyed the pod. One thing though, you talked about our tactics bypassing the midfield. I am not really sure that that was the plan. (I don’t know what the plan may have been) It looked, to me, like the arse forwards made a real effort to press Dier and Sánchez, and this saw them either hoofing it long, or passing to Lloris so he could hoof it up field (or out of play). We haven’t coped well with being pressed since Dembele left, but I think Dier and Sánchez are especially vulnerable to pressure, with predictable results.

Thanks.

I think that you are entirely right about our backline being pressed and our inability to cope with it. Sanchez particularly, passed back to Lloris under pressure and Lloris sliced a clearance. I think that will continue to be a problem until we have CBs and a keeper who are comfortable on the board.

On the midfield, we were saying that Arsenal managed to pass through it with ease in the first half, leaving our defence exposed and running back.

Very true.
I don’t think our midfield walkies helped much, Skipp is always someone who makes himself available to the CBs quickly, but PEH seemed to have lost his GPS and that exacerbated what you mention.

We have never dealt with the press well, period. Even when Jan and Toby were here. Tbf any team struggles with it if well co-ordinated, as any defender, even a great one, is always minded that they are literally the last line protecting their goal and if they fudge up, bad outcomes happen.

What happens, and has very much been happening, is the option of that first pass thru the press and the confidence of the player playing it and the one receiving it is low, and hence the long ball follows.

That first recipient should be just as much Ndombele as PEH

Last edited:

Last Word on Spurs' USP is that they're usually the first to record to drop but unless I see that Jason McGovern is on its just a load of ranting and knee jerking.

Hope you'll get more out of us though and Kenneth Branagh's cameo at the start will set the tone!!

Very good performance again, I enjoy listening to you guys. It could be just because you have more eloquent ways of saying the same stuff I'm thinking, but also the technical level of the recording is getting quite good.

I do also listen to LWoS occationally, they were in fact my nr 1 Spurs Podcast before you guys started, but far to often I have to shut them off due to the quality of their microphones, recording or just sound quality.
As the results are at the moment, I'm already tinkled off enough by the teams performance, I don't need microphone cracking and topping out as well. And the guys at Last Word on Spurs tends to get rather agitated at times... :)

So a good tip for anyone who think they can record proper quality with their run of the trade headset microphone, get a better one, one with a proper pop filter on it.

I don't know if you guys have that, or if it is just your natural velvet smooth voices that sounds that way! :D

Very good performance again, I enjoy listening to you guys. It could be just because you have more eloquent ways of saying the same stuff I'm thinking, but also the technical level of the recording is getting quite good.

I do also listen to LWoS occationally, they were in fact my nr 1 Spurs Podcast before you guys started, but far to often I have to shut them off due to the quality of their microphones, recording or just sound quality.
As the results are at the moment, I'm already tinkled off enough by the teams performance, I don't need microphone cracking and topping out as well. And the guys at Last Word on Spurs tends to get rather agitated at times... :)

So a good tip for anyone who think they can record proper quality with their run of the trade headset microphone, get a better one, one with a proper pop filter on it.

I don't know if you guys have that, or if it is just your natural velvet smooth voices that sounds that way! :D

We all use better quality mics now and it has made a real difference. We use an online studio that has also helped improve quality. I clean up the record in the edit to remove background noise, even up volume levels and generally tidy things up. I find poor sound quality quite distracting, so agree with you that I don't like pods with crackling and topping out.

It’s time for me to give some feedback on this pod.

For disclosure, I’ve never been a podcast person before. Let alone Spurs pods. This season I’ve started listening to all the major Spurs podcasts.

This one is hands down the best out there afaic. Considered, reasoned, full of perspective and great tactical analysis. You guys dig below the surface to both question things and to find answers. And I’m not just saying that because I’m on this site.

Tbh I was quite disappointed with most of the other pods really. Full of emotional outbursts, ranting and moaning. They seem to operate at the extremes with little regard for the middle, or even recognising that there’s a spectrum. Also not a lot of tactical discussions.

There’s probably one other pod that give you guys a good run for your money but I still prefer this one.

Keep up the good work fellas! You’ve earned another fan right here.

Last edited:
Cheers @RunTMC that's very kind, I'm glad that you like the pod. Out of interest, which is the pod that gives us a run for our money?

It’s time for me to give some feedback on this pod.

For disclosure, I’ve never been a podcast person before. Let alone Spurs pods. This season I’ve started listening to all the major Spurs podcasts.

This one is hands down the best out there afaic. Considered, reasoned, full of perspective and great tactical analysis. You guys dig below the surface to both question things and to find answers. And I’m not just saying that because I’m on this site.

Tbh I was quite disappointed with most of the other pods really. Full of emotional outbursts, ranting and moaning. They seem to operate at the extremes with little regard for the middle, or even recognising that there’s a spectrum. Also not a lot of tactical discussions.

There’s probably one other pod that give you guys a good run for your money but I still prefer this one.

Keep up the good work fellas! You’ve earned another fan right here.

Thanks very much for taking the time to write mate

Back