• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Watford FC ***

Exactly. I would never (want) to swap the highs and lows of Spurs for any other team. Sure, City winning everything and having elite players would be fun - if your old man is watching from up high - but I don't hanker after that. I somehow prefer our honest setup, and when we succeed it will be that much sweeter.

Maybe I’m easily pleased, but I can barely imagine any greater joy in watching football than the season we beat City and Ajax over two legs each to get to the CL final.

I cannot see how the sheer excitement in those two games, the nature of the way it played out or the utter, utter improbability of the outcomes could ever be matched. And all with a true Spurs man in Poch at the helm.

Sure, no trophy at the end which would have been the icing on the cake but I’ll never forget the feeling at the end of those games.

Maybe I’m easily pleased, but I can barely imagine any greater joy in watching football than the season we beat City and Ajax over two legs each to get to the CL final.

I cannot see how the sheer excitement in those two games, the nature of the way it played out or the utter, utter improbability of the outcomes could ever be matched. And all with a true Spurs man in Poch at the helm.

Sure, no trophy at the end which would have been the icing on the cake but I’ll never forget the feeling at the end of those games.

People say it's about the trophies. It's about the memories. Crouch scoring against city to get us in the cl. Crouch against milan, was in the san siro. Finishing above arsenal for the first time in GHod knows. Bale tearing inter a new one.
If you can only enjoy football if your team is winning trophies, it's a bit sad.

Exactly. I would never (want) to swap the highs and lows of Spurs for any other team. Sure, City winning everything and having elite players would be fun - if your old man is watching from up high - but I don't hanker after that. I somehow prefer our honest setup, and when we succeed it will be that much sweeter.

I say sir, what are these highs you speak of?

People say it's about the trophies. It's about the memories. Crouch scoring against city to get us in the cl. Crouch against milan, was in the san siro. Finishing above arsenal for the first time in GHod knows. Bale tearing inter a new one.
If you can only enjoy football if your team is winning trophies, it's a bit sad.

It's a good point. Would all of those great moments meant as much if were financially doped and therefore expecting those results/performances?

It's a good point. Would all of those great moments meant as much if were financially doped and therefore expecting those results/performances?

Ofcourse not. Expectations are raised, fans think doing those things are a minimum requirement, not to be celebrated. They forget the lows.
There's fans of lower league clubs that love their clubs and are rightly proud of them.
I remember growing up spurs being mid table and mediocre.

Not to say we shouldn't always want more. Just maybe not act like an entitled taco if you don't get it.

I say sir, what are these highs you speak of?

Plenty actually. From the rise of players like Kane, Bale, Modric, even Walker and many others, to the stadium realisation, to seeing Spurs become a bona fide top team, to the CL final and some stunning performances - beating city to reach CL, Ajax etc. So many highs. What do Spurs fans think happens when you actually win a competition? Does your life change? Do things alter in some way? Truth of the matter is there is a very short high, and then support is exactly the same as it ever was. The journey at Spurs - the soap opera - has to be one of the most engaging and fascinating of any team in world football, hasn't it?

Last edited:

The interesting thing is, the psychology of not lifting the trophy has something compelling to it. Who likes the straight A student and wants to hang out with them? Who's attracted to supporting Emirates Marketing Project? And why do gamblers always come back for more when they lose - rather than win?

People are attracting to underdogs, plucking teams, and stories, rather than perfection which can actually lack texture and interest.

Huh? Yes I remember great moments across a season but there is nothing like the elation of winning a trophy. For me it started with the 2 FA cups in the 1980s, the Uefa cup in 84 and latterly the Carling cup. Can you imagine if we had beaten Liverpool to the Champions League trophy in 2019? I am sorry but nothing beats the feeling of your team winning a trophy. Nothing feels more of a downer than failing.

The interesting thing is, the psychology of not lifting the trophy has something compelling to it. Who likes the straight A student and wants to hang out with them? Who's attracted to supporting Emirates Marketing Project? And why do gamblers always come back for more when they lose - rather than win?

People are attracting to underdogs, plucking teams, and stories, rather than perfection which can actually lack texture and interest.

I know. I'm with you. It was joke

Massively agree, I’m not sure why my interpretation of our play seems so different to what a lot of others are seeing, but I think we are better with the ball than the team is probably being given credit for right now.

Yea it’s three 1-0s, but I don’t think the intention is to grind out that result. We could have had more today - Dele missed a very clear chance. Berg missed a very clear chance against City. In time I think the Wolves result will come to be seen as the good win it was because when their luck changes they will cause a lot of teams problems.

It’s much different to Jose ball, which also I think was mischaracterised. When we needed to score, Jose teams throw men forward. But when defending, Jose teams sit back. Nuno teams are more controlled in all actions, with the ball there is structure, without it there is structure. But we are playing in the opposition half, we are finding spaces and showing good movement. I think goals will come.

There is a fair point on Dele. I think he’s adjusting to his new role which is defending more, so he just has to get used to when he needs to play it safer and when he can use his instinctive touches to create chances. I think they will come too. But I think Watford will cause teams trouble as I do Wolves. There will be some bad teams this season, and I don’t think we’ve played them yet. Our opposition has been well coached and up for it, we’ve just been better.

Not to say we are the finished article, but I don’t think good teams in this league just rattle off chance after chance against other good, well coached teams. I think you have the control the game, and that is what we have done. We imposed our will on Watford and we did against City too. Wolves we had to dig in but we were away against a top 10 side.

I’m really happy with how we look. I’d encourage people to see where this goes, I’m really confident we have another gear to click into but the signs we are seeing right now are really, really good. We look well coached, and the team looks like they are totally bought in and confident in the plan. I would dearly love to know what happened in the second half of last season, because for the first half of the year they looked confident in the plan too, and then they just looked shot. Now I think the plan more easily suits the players we have and can get, and I think Jose’s style of expecting players to take responsibility doesn’t work with the ones that still need a lot of coaching. I’d say Dier / Sanchez / Japh / Skipp / Berg all need that coaching and focus on shape, and they’ll be better for it.
I think in the second half of last season we were just shot and as a result the players' concentration waned. The fitness levels seem to be much better now. Which is why we can expand the pitch and keep players higher up, which doesn't allow the opposition to go all out attack on us, especially when they're behind. Ergo the fact that we have been creating some great chances after going ahead, something that was completely lacking last year.

Huh? Yes I remember great moments across a season but there is nothing like the elation of winning a trophy. For me it started with the 2 FA cups in the 1980s, the Uefa cup in 84 and latterly the Carling cup. Can you imagine if we had beaten Liverpool to the Champions League trophy in 2019? I am sorry but nothing beats the feeling of your team winning a trophy. Nothing feels more of a downer than failing.

Yeah I agree with this. Not necessarily that I want to be on cheat mode, I honestly don’t know how I’d feel about that, but I want us to win some trophies. Will it change my life forever or even change how I feel about the club? Probably not. But it’ll be something to look back on in the same way the 91 Cup Final is for me. As a moment, that beat even the highest high of Poch’s reign for me.

Yeah the journey is fun and supporting Spurs during Poch’s reign was the best time of my 35 years supporting the club because it was amazing having our pride back and competing with the big boys over a sustained period of time. But a trophy would have completed things, especially the CL.

Maybe read the whole sentence?

Exactly fudging right.

Well I've witnessed Tottenham win all but three of their 17 trophies and would say that some of the best highs I've witnessed over that time have come in the last few seasons. So for me it'd be far more than a bit sad if the only thing that counted was winning trophies.

Well I've witnessed Tottenham win all but three of their 17 trophies and would say that some of the best highs I've witnessed over that time have come in the last few seasons. So for me it'd be far more than a bit sad if the only thing that counted was winning trophies.

Bloody hell, you were at the 1921 charity shield?

Impressive.

Back