• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

It's too soon for Poch to come back. Imo it was the sustained intensity over 5 years, with lille replacement in the squad, that killed us. There are still too many of the old players left for Poch to come back. His methods require a younger squad, and I believe to almost completly replace the squad within 5 years, due to the intensity in his training methods.
Far too many of the old guard left.

Poch is not coming back. The fundamentals haven’t changed since he left.

Sadly I think you are right.

I don't think he ever needed to replace the entire squad, but probably just wanted the authority to be able to do was SAF was really good at. Know when it is time to let someone go even if they feel important, because he sees when they are declining, or when they are starting to be detrimental to the culture. I really think if he could have let Rose, Toby and Eriksen go, and we got good replacements in, our level over the last couple of years would have been better than it was. Maybe we wouldn't be title contenders, but we may have been closer to the top 4.

In Tanganga, rodon, reggie, skip and Bergwijn we have a young group of that can buy into his high intensity ways and fit in with the core of old heads in Hugo, Kane, Son and moura.
Peh, NDombele and Glc are the refresh.
Mason and King added to the coaching staff completes the picture.
I'm convinced, it's up to you Daniel, go bring our poch home!

Get your money on Martinez.

I don't think I want Pochettino back at Spurs. This clinging to the past when we were never the best but rather at best the second best is for lack of a better term - unambitious.

Would likely have been better than second best had we had more than a shoestring budget at the time.

Ancelotti has enough credit in the bank that he can fail at Everton and still get another job at a similar level and on similar money.

I don't know why this is such a crazy concept. Why did Poch not take some of the jobs he was offered before PSG? They offered him money, and he didn't have a job? He wanted to take a job at a level he thought he deserved.

Poch had a job, he had been "fired" but he was still being paid very well, so other than a top job he was actually likely to earn less (hence he didn't)

Listen mate we disagree, you think it's about people planning careers and waiting for the perfect move and worrying about 5 years from now, I'm telling you my opinion is 90% of it is purely about the money. I've given you data that says Everton was a step down in profile for Ancelotti but probably an increase in money over previous gigs.

Do you think Levy is going to loosen the purse strings he has the perfect excuse in covid budget to reason with.

Covid is undoubtedly going to have a massive impact on things financially and it's hard to guess by how much and for how long - but then that's as true for us as it is for everyone else so hopefully that means there's room to work things at the relative level we have been the past couple of seasons.

What's encouraging here is that we spent well last summer when Covid was a known issue, which was surprising considering Levy must have been predicting/planning for the worst outcome this season - as in no fans in the stadium at all yet we still spent a considerable amount.

I'm sure there are ways around it, a small amount of the transfer fee paid down with more spread over a longer time or if paid upfront a lesser fee in total etc plenty of cast-offs in our squad to use as bargaining chips potentially - maybe having a Chairman experienced in being tight will finally come up trumps...

I don't think I want Pochettino back at Spurs. This clinging to the past when we were never the best but rather at best the second best is for lack of a better term - unambitious.

I think its more that there arent any other outstanding candidates who we could likely get. Especially if Rodgers and Potter ruled themselves out, really who would you prefer to Poch?

I can understand the 'never go back' thought, and maybe if you could get Rodgers or Potter I can buy it, but would I want Poch again or Paker? Poch or Martinez? Then its complete no-brainer

For him or us
We still can’t outspend teams so need coaching as well as investment
He hasn’t managed to get his team to win the key games that would lead to the big trophies

from our perspective/ same restrictions in place which would prevent him from implementing the much needed refresh he wanted. It will be the same for anyone else too, but the fact that he experienced first hand, i don't see him coming back during this particular era.

from our perspective/ same restrictions in place which would prevent him from implementing the much needed refresh he wanted. It will be the same for anyone else too, but the fact that he experienced first hand, i don't see him coming back during this particular era.
I don’t see him ever coming back
He also needs to win some trophies which is easier in theory at PsG

I think its more that there arent any other outstanding candidates who we could likely get. Especially if Rodgers and Potter ruled themselves out, really who would you prefer to Poch?

I can understand the 'never go back' thought, and maybe if you could get Rodgers or Potter I can buy it, but would I want Poch again or Paker? Poch or Martinez? Then its complete no-brainer

I'd take Martinez. I'd also take Lopetegui, Gasperini, Ten Hag, Bielsa, maybe even Inzaghi and many more. The only ones I wouldn't pick over Pochettino are people like Benitez and, ironically, Galtier.

He's been gone for less than two years. I don't think many people will argue that he wasn't our best manager in the Premier League era but I really can't understand that cult-like mentality when it comes to Pochettino. He was a perfect match for us at some point in our history but it's time to move on. People need to take a step back : he's no Cruyff or Sacchi, let alone GHod's gift to football, his results with PSG show that much. I'd rather look for the next Pochettino than bring the old one back.

I'd take Martinez. I'd also take Lopetegui, Gasperini, Ten Hag, Bielsa, maybe even Inzaghi and many more. The only ones I wouldn't pick over Pochettino are people like Benitez and, ironically, Galtier.
wow! Each to his own. I really dont rate Martinez - was rubbish at Everton and has had an incredibly talented squad with Belgium (de Bruyne, Hazard, Courtois, TOby, Jan, Kompany, etc) and really not go the most out of them at all

In Tanganga, rodon, reggie, skip and Bergwijn we have a young group of that can buy into his high intensity ways and fit in with the core of old heads in Hugo, Kane, Son and moura.
Peh, NDombele and Glc are the refresh.
Mason and King added to the coaching staff completes the picture.
I'm convinced, it's up to you Daniel, go bring our poch home!

Get your money on Martinez.

You're SICK

wow! Each to his own. I really dont rate Martinez - was rubbish at Everton and has had an incredibly talented squad with Belgium (de Bruyne, Hazard, Courtois, TOby, Jan, Kompany, etc) and really not go the most out of them at all

Yes, I know a lot of people don't rate him at all here (and probably not just here). International football is a bit of a lottery once you get to the final stages of the big tournaments but he did a much better work with Belgium than Wilmots before him, arguably with a weaker squad. His teams are fun to watch and he's got some progressive ideas on the game. Wouldn't be my first choice, but I'd definitely pick him over a manager we've sacked to years ago and who'd be back on the verge of a very short and unsuccessful stint elsewhere.

As for Martinez's tenure at Everton, I've checked and Ancelotti is the only manager with a higher win percentage since Howard Kendall. He's on a par with Moyes, who worked miracles there before being ridiculed to taking over from Ferguson at Manchester United. It's not so bad, particularly when you consider the level of investment in the first team. By the way, I'd also pick Martinez over Moyes, too.

Having said that, it's only for the sake of discussion as I can't see Pochettino returning so soon and I don't see us going for Martinez either. Coming back so soon would only tarnish Pochettino's legacy, as he won't be able to measure up to his own memory.

Back