• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Lastly, interesting in the Alistair Gold piece he doesn't mention Lopetegui who popped up out of nowhere last week.

One risk with him is similar to Inzhagi, he's never managed outside his own country. Granted he's done a lot in Europe, but Levy's only appointments of managers without PL experience have been Ramos (lasted 1 year), Santini/Jol and Gross (< 1 yr).

Adds further credence to the possible short-list of Rodgers and Potters (and Poch!)

I get it, but the main point is

- All but two managers in the UK would get a £4M+/yr increase in salary

If you don't want a top job (where you will earn £4M-£10M/yr more than current salary) because you are afraid you will fail, you are already the wrong candidate

Your point emphasizes the issue, when your career is at the point where you are a target for a top club, you take it because 2 years from now circumstances might change (and you would no longer be the flavour of the week)

Of course. I think Potter would jump at this.

That's what I'm saying with my point, even if he is seen as failing at Spurs, he could still get the Southampton job in the future, for example. It is an absolute no brainer, in terms of money, and in terms of risk, for Potter to join us.

It is not a no-brainer for someone that perceives their next move to be entering the European top table, and worrying that being seen as failing at Spurs stalls that progress, or shuts them off, or sends them back 5-10 years.

One risk with him is similar to Inzhagi, he's never managed outside his own country. Granted he's done a lot in Europe, but Levy's only appointments of managers without PL experience have been Ramos (lasted 1 year), Santini/Jol and Gross (< 1 yr).

Adds further credence to the possible short-list of Rodgers and Potters (and Poch!)
He managed Porto.

Agree i have that concern, then part of me looks at Chelsea who obviously throw money around like it's laundered (because it is) but they have a decent record of managers with no experience in the league doing well.

Was reading that Inter Milan have a real issue with money at the moment, paying staff and players despite the league win. Whilst i think Conte is going to stay, a lot of people seem to take issue with him when mentioned. Don't get me wrong, another Chelsea caste off isn't ideal, but the guy has won the League with Juve, Inter and Chelsea. Fantastic record.

I think i would rather Potter than Rodgers, but it's probably due to personality.

He managed Porto.

Spain...Portugal....not vastly different (!). But seriously, they're not and it was 2 years and neither are similar in style to the PL. It also doesnt take away from the fact that Levy has a track record of appointing managers with PL experience

Agree i have that concern, then part of me looks at Chelsea who obviously throw money around like it's laundered (because it is) but they have a decent record of managers with no experience in the league doing well.

Was reading that Inter Milan have a real issue with money at the moment, paying staff and players despite the league win. Whilst i think Conte is going to stay, a lot of people seem to take issue with him when mentioned. Don't get me wrong, another Chelsea caste off isn't ideal, but the guy has won the League with Juve, Inter and Chelsea. Fantastic record.

I think i would rather Potter than Rodgers, but it's probably due to personality.

I was thinking of Conte's situation earlier with regard to Poch's position. Poch is more likely to get pushed if (i) PSG finish lower than expected and (ii) there is a name manager to come in.

Conte rumoured to leave Inter.....PSG contact him to check availability so fire Poch....frees up Poch for Spurs. Possible?

I get it, but the main point is

- All but two managers in the UK would get a £4M+/yr increase in salary

If you don't want a top job (where you will earn £4M-£10M/yr more than current salary) because you are afraid you will fail, you are already the wrong candidate

Your point emphasizes the issue, when your career is at the point where you are a target for a top club, you take it because 2 years from now circumstances might change (and you would no longer be the flavour of the week)

Said another way, I think your use of the phrase 'top club' will be with a slightly different meaning to how I'm using it.

When I'm meaning top table, I mean genuinely challenging City, United, Liverpool, Chelsea over the short and mid term. The crux of my point is that I think certain managers will perceive us as the tier ever so slightly below, and therefore not worth the risk, and not see this as their chance to join the top table.

Said another way, I think your use of the phrase 'top club' will be with a slightly different meaning to how I'm using it.

When I'm meaning top table, I mean genuinely challenging City, United, Liverpool, Chelsea over the short and mid term. The crux of my point is that I think certain managers will perceive us as the tier ever so slightly below, and therefore not worth the risk, and not see this as their chance to join the top table.
'Ever so slightly below' is being generous. I think the likes of Dortmund, Atletico Madrid and Inter Milan are those sorts of clubs. We are significantly below those clubs you mentioned and the other truly big boys in Europe.

And I'm saying you (and others) have a really weird way of looking/thinking of how people pick jobs, hint = it's the money

The amount of people that would choose to not double their money based on some abstract concept is damn close to zero, why do you think Ancelotti went to Everton? wasn't for the project, it was for £11M/yr

And I'm saying you (and others) have a really weird way of looking/thinking of how people pick jobs, hint = it's the money

The amount of people that would choose to not double their money based on some abstract concept is damn close to zero, why do you think Ancelotti went to Everton? wasn't for the project, it was for £11M/yr

Ancelotti has enough credit in the bank that he can fail at Everton and still get another job at a similar level and on similar money.

I don't know why this is such a crazy concept. Why did Poch not take some of the jobs he was offered before PSG? They offered him money, and he didn't have a job? He wanted to take a job at a level he thought he deserved.

You are directing your argument towards all of the managers who are earning way less than they can get at Spurs - and who, I agree with you on, most would jump at our job - instead of the ones that may not be viewing us as the step up they are ideally looking for.

Some managers will absolutely think it better to stick where they are and wait for a job they perceive to be better, rather than take the first load of cash that gets thrown their way. I don't really understand why this sounds weird to you.

'Ever so slightly below' is being generous. I think the likes of Dortmund, Atletico Madrid and Inter Milan are those sorts of clubs. We are significantly below those clubs you mentioned and the other truly big boys in Europe.

I know, I'm just trying to give some ground to people that think we are still perceived like we were 3 years ago. I agree with you that our standing has dropped as it relates to which manager we could attract.

If Poch takes PSG, he can be seen to fail there, and probably still get a Spurs / Dortmund type job in the future. If Poch takes, say, Monaco, and is seen to fail, not only does he lock himself out of PSG / Real in the future, he also makes it harder to get a Spurs / Dortmund job too. But it definitely locks him out of the top table.

Talk of money...how much money does Jose make on every job? Because his record reads trophies, trophies, trophies, trophies, trophies. He can make an argument he hasn't failed anywhere, and can command £15M a year.

AVB could command £13M salary at Chelsea. He's now on £6M at Marseille. Managers make way more money if they are smart with their moves, if they elevate themselves into the top table, and get some perceived success under their belt. If they do it well, they make way more money over the course of their careers. Some of them back themselves and believe that is where they deserve to be, and will make the moves to get there. Again, not sure why this is a weird way of looking at things.

From what I heard from somebody involved in the coaching set up at Spurs Pochettino didn't think that Janssen was professional with his fitness levels.

That then begs the question: what happened between all the profiles written/spoken about why we/Poch were chasing him (mentality, having had to work very hard to get to where he was etc) to then him joining and being 'unprofessional'?
You can see how that wouldn't have been a good look given how much we kept having to up our bids to sign Jansen....

Perhaps we can ask the same of NKoudou...

The point is: Poch wasn't blameless re transfers not working out or our lack of squad options etc

If Poch takes PSG, he can be seen to fail there, and probably still get a Spurs / Dortmund type job in the future. If Poch takes, say, Monaco, and is seen to fail, not only does he lock himself out of PSG / Real in the future, he also makes it harder to get a Spurs / Dortmund job too. But it definitely locks him out of the top table.

Talk of money...how much money does Jose make on every job? Because his record reads trophies, trophies, trophies, trophies, trophies. He can make an argument he hasn't failed anywhere, and can command £15M a year.

AVB could command £13M salary at Chelsea. He's now on £6M at Marseille. Managers make way more money if they are smart with their moves, if they elevate themselves into the top table, and get some perceived success under their belt. If they do it well, they make way more money over the course of their careers. Some of them back themselves and believe that is where they deserve to be, and will make the moves to get there. Again, not sure why this is a weird way of looking at things.

You only have to look at Jose and how he's been making money for the last 5 years to see how smart a manager can be wrt to money, getting highly-paid/high-profile jobs etc

Zidane looks like he'll be leaving Real as well with Juve or PSG a likely destination, just to throw something else into the mix.

Is that just an assumption as they most likely wont get a trophy this season?

From what I’ve seen Perez and the fans understand he has done a great job this season keeping them competitive despite unbelievable injuries this season. For example for the game yesterday the entire first choice back four were missing. Ronaldo’s replacement has also hardly played and been largely awful when he does play.

I believe zizou will be leading the new era of Alaba and Mbappe this Summer and Haaland in 2022.

Zidane looks like he'll be leaving Real as well with Juve or PSG a likely destination, just to throw something else into the mix.

Yes, when I was thinking about how Poch might get freed up, Zidane and Conte were the two obvious names which could help the situation. Shame ZZ never played for PSG.....

That then begs the question: what happened between all the profiles written/spoken about why we/Poch were chasing him (meteorology, having had to work very hard to get to where he was etc) to then him joining and being 'unprofessional'?
You can see how that wouldn't have been a good look given how much we kept having to up our bids to sign Jansen....

Perhaps we can ask the same of NKoudou...

The point is: Poch wasn't blameless re transfers not working out or our lack of squad options etc
I've got no idea....

Perhaps he got a big fat contract and thought he'd made it?
Perhaps in training he looked terrible in comparison to the rest of the team?
Who knows?
Nkoudou?.... I think he was just a cheap gamble after we'd missed out on the proven player that the manager wanted (Mane). Didn't Levy also try to change the terms of the agreed deal for him after Marseille changed president, with Nkoudou then having to spend a couple of months in a hotel and miss most of the pre-season?

I've got no idea....

Perhaps he got a big fat contract and thought he'd made it?
Perhaps in training he looked terrible in comparison to the rest of the team?
Who knows?
Nkoudou?.... I think he was just a cheap gamble after we'd missed out on the proven player that the manager wanted (Mane). Didn't Levy also try to change the terms of the agreed deal for him after Marseille changed president, with Nkoudou then having to spend a couple of months in a hotel and miss most of the pre-season?

Oh Geez yeah; that's brought back some, erm, memories...:rolleyes:
That was the same summer i was certain we'd Zaha..oh what could have been (another one)...sigh

Back