• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Whilst I think Poch’s dark attitude in his final months/year left Levy little option, I agree with you on the above (if it was the case).

When I look at the various options which seem to be available, or at least those which we’re linked with and those in the bookies very long lists, I’m not sure I see one which I’d take over a refreshed Poch

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

If he became available he’s by far and away the best option and it would be a huge stroke of luck that we could get back on track and make up for lost time.

I think he’d be somewhat refreshed, he’d have some experience managing Neymar and Mbappe, beating Bayern in the CL.

I would just hope he’d actually want to come back, that he’d feel enough time has passed and that we’d do enough of the rebuild he wanted.

If he became available he’s by far and away the best option and it would be a huge stroke of luck that we could get back on track and make up for lost time.

I think he’d be somewhat refreshed, he’d have some experience managing Neymar and Mbappe, beating Bayern in the CL.

I would just hope he’d actually want to come back, that he’d feel enough time has passed and that we’d do enough of the rebuild he wanted.

Probably going against the tide here but I wouldn’t want Poch back so soon. Particularly if the only thing that would’ve made him available was failing miserably in a second-rate league.

Probably going against the tide here but I wouldn’t want Poch back so soon. Particularly if the only thing that would’ve made him available was failing miserably in a second-rate league.

He took over mid season when they were in the same place though? It’s not as if he’s come in with his Tottenham gene and bottled 1st place.

Don’t think anything can be read too much into it. Let’s just call the whole last 2 years a horrible mistake and get back to normal I say.

He took over mid season when they were in the same place though? It’s not as if he’s come in with his Tottenham gene and bottled 1st place.

Don’t think anything can be read too much into it. Let’s just call the whole last 2 years a horrible mistake and get back to normal I say.

I love Poch for the times he gave us and I don’t know if there’s many managers out there that could’ve been a better fit for those years when that crop of players were developing. His ambition, energy and optimism matched theirs and for a few years it seemed perfect. But there comes a time when potential needs to reap dividends and for whatever reason that never happened.
I like the idea of Poch coming back at some point in the future ideally at the beginning of a new cycle with a whole new generation. I don’t think the current group would necessarily respond well to turning the clock back 2 years.
Poch needs to prove he can not only develop a squad but finish the job and become a winner. As he said himself- by winning “big” trophies.

There's less than half his squad left. None of Regulion, Sessegnon, Rodon, Tanganga, Hojbjerg, Lo Celso, Ndombele or Bergwijn - i.e. about all our players under 25, has he ever really worked with. Skipp was also quite new into his setup. And our big beasts - Lloris, Alli, Son and Kane - were all obviously really devoted to him.

Bring in a DoF he'd like to work with (Poch clearly never had much interest in transfers), add Mason as a fresh voice to the core quartet, and I don't see any downside at all

The way this should have been handled in the first place was just to give him a sabbatical for remainder of 19/20 to recharge. We only get lucky enough to stumble on a manager of his calibre once every 20-30 years (Nicholson, Burkinshaw, Poch), we shouldn't have thrown it away so stupidly.

Last edited:
There's less than half his squad left. None of Regulion, Sessegnon, Rodon, Tanganga, Hojbjerg, Lo Celso, Ndombele or Bergwijn - i.e. about all our players under 25, has he ever really worked with. Skipp was also quite new into his setup. And our big hunks of burning love - Lloris, Alli, Son and Kane - were all obviously really devoted to him.

Bring in a DoF he'd like to work with (Poch clearly never had much interest in transfers), add Mason as a fresh voice to the core quartet, and I don't see any downside at all

The way this should have been handled in the first place was just to give him a sabbatical for remainder of 19/20 to recharge. We only get lucky enough to stumble on a manager of his calibre once every 20-30 years (Nicholson, Burkinshaw, Poch), we shouldn't have thrown it away so stupidly.

Everyone is assuming that he would have been happy to stay if we hadn’t got rid, i for one think he had lost interest.

I think it was just a straightforward case of burnout.

Emotionally-driven leaders like Poch are more susceptible to it, as they tend to personally take on the burdens of their teams, as well as their own. He had the same burnout experience at espanyol, which I think was mainly down to carrying the emotional burden of the jarque death. Our corresponding 'trauma' was I guess the CL final

I love Poch for the times he gave us and I don’t know if there’s many managers out there that could’ve been a better fit for those years when that crop of players were developing. His ambition, energy and optimism matched theirs and for a few years it seemed perfect. But there comes a time when potential needs to reap dividends and for whatever reason that never happened.
I like the idea of Poch coming back at some point in the future ideally at the beginning of a new cycle with a whole new generation. I don’t think the current group would necessarily respond well to turning the clock back 2 years.
Poch needs to prove he can not only develop a squad but finish the job and become a winner. As he said himself- by winning “big” trophies.

It never happened, probably due to not signing anyone for 18 months and then sacking him after making 3 signings when 2 of them were injured and one of them was adapting to PL pace. I’d understand people offering up the idea that he may not have been the one to take us to the next level because results were dropping, if it didn’t coincide with a lack of signings - and outgoings - for 18 months, and if he hadn’t called for us to buy better furniture as a club a year or more before he was sacked. He was absolutely a guy capable of taking us on further.

And frankly if anyone of our squad decided they didn’t want him back, they can tinkle off. Same players that brief that Poch’s training sessions are too hard, and Jose’s sessions are too easy. We need to get back to backing the manager, whoever it may be, and not trying to please half a squad at a time because they don’t like what their boss is asking them to do.

I agree with GB. I think Poch is an emotional guy, and one of his strengths is in harnessing that trait to inspire a feeling that his club is an amazing place to be. I think we really fudged up when some players decided Spurs wasn’t for them anymore, making Poch’s ability to create a spirit more difficult than it had ever been. Levy as his manager should have harnessed that IMO, because short of ENIC investing more, our only choice is to compete by having a better spirit. Wrong call made, because we assumed this was a top 4 squad minimum when actually a lot of what got us there in the first place was the culture he created.

I think if Poch was genuinely backed in terms of decision making around who goes, and gets decent backing for who arrives, I think that’s our best chance emerging from the horror of the last 2 years and getting back on an upward trajectory. It’s definite fanfic for me, but I just won’t ever shake the feeling that letting him go (or not making him feel that he was our guy no matter what) was one of the worst decisions Levy has ever made.

It never happened, probably due to not signing anyone for 18 months and then sacking him after making 3 signings when 2 of them were injured and one of them was adapting to PL pace. I’d understand people offering up the idea that he may not have been the one to take us to the next level because results were dropping, if it didn’t coincide with a lack of signings - and outgoings - for 18 months, and if he hadn’t called for us to buy better furniture as a club a year or more before he was sacked. He was absolutely a guy capable of taking us on further.

And frankly if anyone of our squad decided they didn’t want him back, they can tinkle off. Same players that brief that Poch’s training sessions are too hard, and Jose’s sessions are too easy. We need to get back to backing the manager, whoever it may be, and not trying to please half a squad at a time because they don’t like what their boss is asking them to do.

I agree with GB. I think Poch is an emotional guy, and one of his strengths is in harnessing that trait to inspire a feeling that his club is an amazing place to be. I think we really fudged up when some players decided Spurs wasn’t for them anymore, making Poch’s ability to create a spirit more difficult than it had ever been. Levy as his manager should have harnessed that IMO, because short of ENIC investing more, our only choice is to compete by having a better spirit. Wrong call made, because we assumed this was a top 4 squad minimum when actually a lot of what got us there in the first place was the culture he created.

I think if Poch was genuinely backed in terms of decision making around who goes, and gets decent backing for who arrives, I think that’s our best chance emerging from the horror of the last 2 years and getting back on an upward trajectory. It’s definite fanfic for me, but I just won’t ever shake the feeling that letting him go (or not making him feel that he was our guy no matter what) was one of the worst decisions Levy has ever made.
Well said, old bean.

Don't think Poch will become available, but i would welcome him back with open arms. Hopefully all parties will realise their mistakes, and they can get us all excited about Spurs again

I would be all in if he was available.

Problem is he wont be available sadly.

I think its unlikel, but if PSG finish 3rd and have to go into the CL qualifiers, I think its possible based on the hire/fire culture there.

Two games left in their league, Mbappe is injured, Neymar looked disinterested yesterday and Kimpembe now suspended after an awful challenge. No CL, no title,...I'd expect someone will have to take the blame, and it probably won't be Leonardo

I think its unlikel, but if PSG finish 3rd and have to go into the CL qualifiers, I think its possible based on the hire/fire culture there.

Two games left in their league, Mbappe is injured, Neymar looked disinterested yesterday and Kimpembe now suspended after an awful challenge. No CL, no title,...I'd expect someone will have to take the blame, and it probably won't be Leonardo

Thats a lot of speculation and willingness ... dont think Poch will be sacked or dismissed so early on at PSG, dont forget he played for them also.

I wouldnt be extatic but so far Its a two horse race for me between Conte and Brenda.

There's less than half his squad left. None of Regulion, Sessegnon, Rodon, Tanganga, Hojbjerg, Lo Celso, Ndombele or Bergwijn - i.e. about all our players under 25, has he ever really worked with. Skipp was also quite new into his setup. And our big hunks of burning love - Lloris, Alli, Son and Kane - were all obviously really devoted to him.

Can we stop the myth that we fired Poch out of the blue, the guy burnt out, the club was in a fudging spiral, he didn't want to be here.

Bringing Poch back will have problems
- What changed? other than him having a break
- Will he work with someone to buy players?
- Does he really have buy in of senior players (in the end for me it was the Toby/Eriksen/etc. players who seemed to have burnt out on his model)
- Will he get over his flimflam of taking a year+ to get players into the system (no fudging idea how you ask for a "refresh" but have no model to immediately integrate players)

Not saying it's undoable, but this is ex nostalgia at it's worst.

If I was a candidate the only way I would consider Spurs would be with a DOF (that I knew I'd be happy to work with) and a guarantee of some backing this summer from Levy.
It's gonna take some serious signings, CBs , RB and ball playing CMs to get this team back on track, whether it's Poch or anyone else

If I was a candidate the only way I would consider Spurs would be with a DOF (that I knew I'd be happy to work with) and a guarantee of some backing this summer from Levy.
It's gonna take some serious signings, CBs , RB and ball playing CMs to get this team back on track, whether it's Poch or anyone else

Mate, first of all, if you were a manager candidate offered a top 6 (high profile) PL club in London being paid millions (probably in top 10 salary range of manager in Europe)

You would fudging take it, this idea that Spurs is unattractive because it might not work out, nobody fudging cares, as Ancelotti said "I've been fired from every job I've ever had"

Top level candidates will have some leverage (that's why a Potter/Parker is unattractive to me) based on a plan, i.e.

- Here's how I'm going to setup up the team (here's my analysis of current team) and here's what we need transfer window 1/2/etc.

Back