• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

Arsenal don't really have the type of forwards who thrive on crosses though.... It is a good tactic against Arsenal to let them go wide and just protect the middle. Against Palace on the other hand, who have a centre forward who probably only thrives on crosses that isn't as good a tactic.
Benteke only had one header as a shot all game
I agree with the principle of what your saying but look at who has scored these headers...
Only one is a player that I can even remember scoring another all season (Saiss)

If you have 10 or even 11 players behind the ball then it is almost impossible to keep it.

You are right that the easiest way to stop crosses is to stop the opposition having the ball, you cannot keep the ball adequately when the whole team is so deep. You can of course counter attack and any successful counter attack is likely to result in a reasonably high percentage scoring chance, but the percentage of times the counter gets beyond the first pass is also likely to be very low (as we have seen).

I noticed that against Sheff Utd on Sunday Son stayed up at the half way line pretty much all the time, on the rare occasions he did sprint to help out in defence, Bergwijn would then instead stay high. This was a definite difference to our gameplan when winning some of our games recently and it gave us another outlet to relieve pressure, not just in terms of having another body up there but also as the opposition had to consider the ball in behind, forcing them to drop off a little which made a little bit of space for our other players.
Yep
Hence why Hugo’s long ball to bergwein worked wonders son was up there with him

Or if we defended basic crosses better?
as I’ve said we’re not conceding world class goals
We’re scoring them though
And I’ve seen us put teams under pressure meant times and then not crack... Saudi Sportswashing Machine both times at home the last two seasons springs to mind
Look at pool at the weekend, United didn’t crumble under pressure as they did the defensive basics well

We conceded against palace, wolves and Fulham partly in my opinion because we sat back and invited pressure on ourselves. It’s only a matter of time before the opposition makes one of those chances pay or we make a mistake. The dropped points against all three sides were fair, we didn’t deserve to win any of those games but they were all avoidable had we actually attacked with more purpose at 1-0 rather than panicking after conceding an equaliser.

We conceded against palace, wolves and Fulham partly in my opinion because we sat back and invited pressure on ourselves. It’s only a matter of time before the opposition makes one of those chances pay or we make a mistake. The dropped points against all three sides were fair, we didn’t deserve to win any of those games but they were all avoidable had we actually attacked with more purpose at 1-0 rather than panicking after conceding an equaliser.
1 in 10 crosses are scored and that’s successful crosses as I believe over 50% aren’t even “ successful”
That’s a low margin chance yet against us it’s a high conversion
That’s says a lot to how we defend them
And regardless of being deep you can identify the culprits and other than sissoko not jumping vs Vardy it’s defenders who are at fault, making individual errors in most cases

1 in 10 crosses are scored and that’s successful crosses as I believe over 50% aren’t even “ successful”
That’s a low margin chance yet against us it’s a high conversion
That’s says a lot to how we defend them
And regardless of being deep you can identify the culprits and other than sissoko not jumping vs Vardy it’s defenders who are at fault, making individual errors in most cases

The more chances you give the opposition the more likely they are to score. We didn’t deserve to best palace, wolves or Fulham. A draw was a fair result in each game. We didn’t attack with enough numbers at 1-0. It was only then the opposition equalised in each game that we showed more intent going forward.

The more chances you give the opposition the more likely they are to score. We didn’t deserve to best palace, wolves or Fulham. A draw was a fair result in each game. We didn’t attack with enough numbers at 1-0. It was only then the opposition equalised in each game that we showed more intent going forward.
We could have beaten Fulham and palace as we created the better chances but if you don’t take them you don’t get what you sometimes deserve...

1% conversion to goals from crosses seems right. But teams get a better return playing us. CBs need to win those headers in front of the goal. it's their basic job!

Leicester 2-0 win with 35% possession and locked out Chelsea. Its a valid strategy we need better players.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

1% conversion to goals from crosses seems right. But teams get a better return playing us. CBs need to win those headers in front of the goal. it's their basic job!

Leicester 2-0 win with 35% possession and locked out Chelsea. Its a valid strategy we need better players.

We need players more suited for a model, as covered here extensively, I think Toby is top quality CB, just not great in the air which sucks because none of our CBs are anything more than mediocre in the air.

Leicester would not have beaten us if we hadn’t gifted them a penalty and then an OG
They hadn’t created anything that game and we were our own worse enemy feeling sorry for ourselves after the pool game
And Chelsea created nothing as they were petrified of the counter still and haven’t really got any tactical set up at all
Their identity now is basically a chav in a expensive track suit

Even under Poch when we were possession Kings it seemed hard to score from crosses when kane is an excellent header of the ball. The crossess just did not seem that effective. Maybe it's because our CBs are below average at aerial interceptions in front of goal.

A reverse xG measure for defenders xGdenied - could be another esoteric device to spice up our discussions!

Even under Poch when we were possession Kings it seemed hard to score from crosses when kane is an excellent header of the ball. The crossess just did not seem that effective. Maybe it's because our CBs are below average at aerial interceptions in front of goal.

A reverse xG measure for defenders xGdenied - could be another esoteric device to spice up our discussions!

Surely it was because we hit the defenders more often than not with the cross

All the top sides kept a clean sheet on this round of fixtures. They had much more testing fixtures and some had to absorb more crosses and defensive pressure from superior players and teams than Sheff Utd. They were all dogged and resilient and all defended set pieces and aerial crosses extremely well.
We didn't !
Sheff Utd not only scored from a header but they had two good headed chances as well. Sheff Utd can't score for toffee ,except against a rank 10 man Geordie outfit from the penalty spot.
We are diabolical aerially and although Mourinho has clearly tried to sort this out by immediately putting Dier back to CD and also buying Rodon who is being eased in and probably wasn't Mourhino's first choice ( or second) but so far it's not been enough.
Look at all the other top teams and their central defenders , even footballing teams like Emirates Marketing Project have finally sorted out the weakness they had there by buying Diaz and bringing Stones back in. They also have a very decent defender aerially in Laporte, waiting in the wings.
Man Utd - Maguire, Lindelof
Liverpool - Van Dyke, Matip
Arsenal - Luiz , Holding, Gabriel
Leicester - Evans , Tungay ?
Everton - Keane , Mina , Holgate ?

We are badly lacking a commanding centre half aerially and it's costing us dearly.

I've had more enjoyable tinkles than some of the recent Spurs games. And for what? Are people still expecting us to win something? Really?
George Graham won us a League Cup. I couldn't gave a flying fudge about that competition. I can't see us winning it anyway.

ADA1EDCF-189A-41E4-92BA-884A9A3E521E.png
we did better vs them than City did ...
All the top sides kept a clean sheet on this round of fixtures. They had much more testing fixtures and some had to absorb more crosses and defensive pressure from superior players and teams than Sheff Utd. They were all dogged and resilient and all defended set pieces and aerial crosses extremely well.
We didn't !
Sheff Utd not only scored from a header but they had two good headed chances as well. Sheff Utd can't score for toffee ,except against a rank 10 man Geordie outfit from the pelanty spot.
We are diabolical aerially and although Mourinho has clearly tried to sort this out by immediately putting Dier back to CD and also buying Rodon who is being eased in and probably wasn't Mourhino's first choice ( or second) but so far it's not been enough.
Look at all the other top teams and their central defenders , even footballing teams like Emirates Marketing Project have finally sorted out the weakness they had there by buying Diaz and bringing Stones back in. They also have a very decent defender aerially in Laporte, waiting in the wings.
Man Utd - Maguire, Lindelof
Liverpool - Van Dyke, Matip
Arsenal - Luiz , Holding, Gabriel
Leicester - Evans , Tungay ?
Everton - Keane , Mina , Holgate ?

We are badly lacking a commanding centre half aerially and it's costing us dearly.
B611069D-60BA-4895-8AC3-222B185C1F33.png

they Scored more vs United... and arguably shouldn’t have lost that game

Back