• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

what year was it we pushed the boat out?

Danishfurniturelover

the prettiest spice girl
and signed bentley and bent?

Remember that being our big push for the top 4, the last time i really felt we were going for it. Was with my oldest friend today at the ground for the game, when we go together we rarely win so not to suprised with the result. I just felt we lacked a little quality in the squad.

Anyway the point of this thread is whatever that year was i think it has had an impact on levy and i can not see him pushing the boat out and spending big for 2 quality players. Think that summer was a turning point in our recent history, imagine if we had got 2 good players instead of bentley and bent, imagine if we could sign 2 now.

Of all the turning points in our recent history, we decided on the train home that this was the most important. Funny how on long train rides home you can start out thinking something and then convince yourself its true by an hour later.

So what summer was that?

TV money doubles next season, there should be no excuse for not spending at least a little bit.

Summer 2008 for Bentley, previous summer for Bent. That 2008 summer was slightly misleading: yeah, we signed Modric, Bentley and Pav for relatively large fees (16.5, 16.5 and 13 million quid, if I remember correctly), but a lot of that was financed by the sales of Keane and Berba.

We've never really 'spent' in the Chelsea, City or United sense of the word. We've relied on wisely re-investing the funds we receive from sales to improve the team in more areas than the sales made weak.

We bought Dembele for 15 million quid this summer, that was a big individual outlay. Ditto Lloris (12 million?).

Point being, I suppose, that Levy's never spent without first recouping what he intended to spend, but when he does decide to splash the cash, a large price-tag won't necessarily put him off.

Within reason, obviously. I don't think we'll ever pay beyond 20-22 million quid for any player, that would be too risky with our current business model. But if we can't assemble a team capable of winning the league using players worth 20-22 million, then we are due an extremely long, hard look at ourselves. No, where we've failed is in changing the atmosphere of failure and negativity that permeates the club. To do that will require either massive investment or a period of sustained success. The first is impossible under ENIC, so we must hope for the second. It's why I think it's so critical for us to win the EL this year; it's probably the best chance we'll ever get, and could instil that famed 'winning mentality' into our lads at long last.

TV money doubles next season, there should be no excuse for not spending at least a little bit.

It goes up for the other 19 clubs too. All that will happen is that transfer fees and player wages will go up again

They were signed different times weren't they?

Bent came the summer Comolli spent £40m on him Bale, Kaboul and Boateng (2007).

Bentley came the summer under Ramos along with Modric and Gio (2008 )

They were signed different times weren't they?

Bent came the summer we Comolli spent £40m on him Bale, Kaboul and Boateng (2007).

Bentley came the summer under Ramos along with Modric and Gio (2008)

haha just shows how much we know, i blame age.

I found it funny how neither of us really thought to much about it but then egging each other on on the way home we got to the root cause of all of tottenhams problems, the fact that they were different years just makes it more perfect. You never had conversations on the train after a game where you convince yourself of something which is infact completley wrong?

Levy will never do it properly. The squad is too small. We needed a striker, we needed players and we're going to miss out on CL again. And lose more money. So why is he not spending? Incredible. I dont want superstars, just a good squad to compete even when a player or two are out.

Levy will never do it properly. The squad is too small. We needed a striker, we needed players and we're going to miss out on CL again. And lose more money. So why is he not spending? Incredible. I dont want superstars, just a good squad to compete even when a player or two are out.

Levy has done it properly, there are six clubs that have outspent us in the last few seasons. If we were to spend similar amounts we would be recording significant losses.

Levy has done it properly, there are six clubs that have outspent us in the last few seasons. If we were to spend similar amounts we would be recording significant losses.

Surely one or two squad players wouldnt cost much more. Earlier this season we had 4 keepers on very good wages.

Just dont spend on English players. They're brick.

I think that PL players are usually very overpriced, especially the British ones; okay they can dribble and show a few tricks but their decision-making and passing ability are too often a little wanting. I'd much rather we shop in Spain, Germany, and the Netherlands. (I'll concede France to Saudi Sportswashing Machine.)

I think that PL players are usually very overpriced, especially the British ones; okay they can dribble and show a few tricks but their decision-making and passing ability are too often a little wanting. I'd much rather we shop in Spain, Germany, and the Netherlands. (I'll concede France to Saudi Sportswashing Machine.)

Adebyour is a huge waste of money if hes not consistant..and ATM for what ever reason he cant produce...then there's the worry he might have
a short spell of confidence[can't see that happening] and then just return to switching off again.
Now that is a huge waste of money in a vital position of our team.!

Summer 2008 for Bentley, previous summer for Bent. That 2008 summer was slightly misleading: yeah, we signed Modric, Bentley and Pav for relatively large fees (16.5, 16.5 and 13 million quid, if I remember correctly), but a lot of that was financed by the sales of Keane and Berba.

It's telling that Modric, Bentley and Bent remain our most expensive buys, five years on and a complete record PL TV contract later. Modric, who turned out to be our record buy (allowing for exchange rates on the installments), was a success, Bent was mixed (he scored and we got our money back, but he wasn't a need at the time), and Bentley an unmitigated disaster (and again not a need). And we have been desperate for a right midfielder these last few games.

However, the transfer fee isn't the problem. Players going for high transfer fees demand high wages. This has been fuelled by the spending of the sugar-daddy clubs and there is nothing we can do about that. Over this period there have been years where we have been outspent on wages by Portsmouth, West Ham, Villa and/or Saudi Sportswashing Machine, all of whom have got into financial difficulties and relegation trouble (Villa can still complete the set).

And at the same time we have been trying to get a new stadium development started. Short-term we can't have higher spending on players and the new stadium. If we had run up debt on players, we would find the stadium financing even more difficult. Long-term the stadium offers the potential to spend more on players in a sustainable fashion so I don't think Levy had a rational alternative choice. Frustrating, that we seem so close, but gambling because of pent up frustration is not sound policy.

Back