• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What would you do? (work problems)

Ok well basically was working in another office in Waterloo under this Site Manager. Our relationship has always been good but a few months back the senior contracts Manager gave me an unexpected promotion to another site. Now this previous Site Manager is far more experienced then i am and was tasked with the responsibility to help me get started..well basically guide me. For a month or so he was ok but somehow he managed to find out how much i was getting paid which was more than he's on and he's turned into a bitter taco.

He approached me a few weeks back saying how unfair it was. Tbh i don't really know how that happened and i can see where he's coming from so i simply told him that i didn't really want to talk about it and if he had an issue with it he should speak to the Contracts manager.
I've since been told by around 4 previous work colleagues from the other site that he's constantly talking about me negatively, constantly informing anyone that would hear him that i'm doing this wrong, and that wrong etc etc. He's even had a word with one of my current staff fishing for information about what it is i do throughout the day. He's also muscling in my job now and making out to various clients he's the one doing various things which has kind of made them dependant on him at times. i also blame the senior contracts manager, even though he gave me the job which i very much appreciate, he gets the other guy to come into all the MSR meetings, all the weekly meetings, etc etc. It's like he still doesn't trust me even though he gave me the bloody job.

The Site manager is such a coniving taco that really plays dirty but it never got to me before. Now i'm really irritated and want to quit. I have enough cash saved up to last me a while but i'm scared to be unemployed as you never know how long it will last.

In hindsight, despite the fact it's none of his business, I'd have just said he should go and renegotiate his contract. Don't be snarky about it, of course it'll get his back up. Just act bewildered and say "cor buddy old friend, you need to speak to someone about that".

Anyway, if you know what you're doing now, then just stamp your authority. It's your project, you need to be assertive. Speak to your clients, let them know you know your stuff and make sure your contract manager knows you know your stuff. Whatever you do, do not start thinking "poor me". Get on with it and be assertive. Remember that aggressive and assertive are not the same thing.

That's my couple of pence.

Edit... Walking away?! You don't want to be the Kevin Keegan of site management do you?...

How did he find out how much you were earning? I'd want to know how that got out. Good advice in the previous post. If you know your stuff, do the job and be assertive and confident. Try not to show too much concern. If he is going behind your back with no cause, then he is probably doing more damage to himself then he is to you.

You don't want to be unemployed. Make sure you have something to go on to if you really have to leave

i don't understand why you'd even be contemplating leaving this job ?

as long as you are happy with the work you are putting in and your bosses are happy then it doesn't really matter what he says about the mistakes you are making - if anything your superiors will be expecting you to get some things wrong anyway - seeings as they have this bloke there to show you the ropes

from what you have posted above there isn't really anything to be worrying too much about, certainly not to the extent of quitting/handing in your notice

- agree with whoever said to put your foot down and try to take more control over the things he is doing

Last edited:
Im an Assistant Manager and earn more than my Manager. He doesnt like it which is fair enough and he is privy to that information because of billable hours etc so he has to know what im earning hourly in order to charge the clients an hourly rate in order to keep the profit margins and recoveries high.

He was already at the company when I joined, I was in a strong position so I had negotiated a better salary - this was nigh on five years now.

Never quit before you get another job. Employers dont want to recruit a 'quitter' then again you can lie and say you quit to go travelling but you gotta stay out of a job for a few months to pull it off.

Weren't you in HR mate?

I was until about 6 months ago. Same company but totally different job role (i've had 3 job titles now with this company since 2009... Trainee Admin, 'HR employee communications' and now "site supervisor" but this is a different office in Vauxhall not South bank anymore). I've also had problems with how people operate in this company before which is why i feel so down). They seem to have a habit of hiring some nasty pieces of work but wheras before i would be the one getting myself involved in other issues where i felt others were being treated badly this time it's directed at me.

I'd take his side in fact; he's just jealous of you and that has ruined your relationship. You should tell him that you think he deserves a payrise and that he should speak to the boss.

if you previously had a good relationship, you can draw on that - pull him to one side, maybe over a pint, and just tell him straight (calmly and firmly) that you have heard he has been saying this that and the other and that he is overstepping the mark with clients.

ask him a) are the rumours true? b) why has he been doing the latter

he seemingly feels threatened - airing it might (personality depending) get things nice and straight and back on track?

otherwise - totally what Wookie said.

and don't let it get you down mate.

how long have you been feeling like you want to quit? if it's been prolonged then you need to address this asap and get it sorted, otherwise it will eat away at you.

maybe a couple of days holiday would be a good idea? get away for a few days.

if you previously had a good relationship, you can draw on that - pull him to one side, maybe over a pint, and just tell him straight (calmly and firmly) that you have heard he has been saying this that and the other and that he is overstepping the mark with clients.

ask him a) are the rumours true? b) why has he been doing the latter

he seemingly feels threatened - airing it might (personality depending) get things nice and straight and back on track?

otherwise - totally what Wookie said.

and don't let it get you down mate.

how long have you been feeling like you want to quit? if it's been prolonged then you need to address this asap and get it sorted, otherwise it will eat away at you.

maybe a couple of days holiday would be a good idea? get away for a few days.

Good relationship in that he never directed his bittnerness/manipulation/anger at me and relied on my heavily because i'm good at my job. I always knew he was conniving though so i just kept a distance and was very wary.

He's lost in now though. We had a meeting with the contracts manager earlier today and it was much about nothing. This guy only goes back to tell my previous work colleagues that i "finally got a gonad*ing for not doing my job.". The senior contracts manager didn't direct anything at me ffs? i mean talk about losing it. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he tries to cause me physical harm if he doesn't get the impression that i'm cracking.

Keep a detailed diary of what is going on, so you can refer back to times, dates, comments.

Talk to him and say he should renegotiate his contract and that it isn't your fault you were offered more.

Kick his wife's sponge.

Just front it and say that you've heard that he's bad mouthing you and it's not on.

Show sympathy that you understand that he's tinkled off that you're earning more, but it's not your fault, say that you think he's worth far more than you and they are taking the tinkle.

Then tell him that it's unfair to make your life hell over something that is completely not your fault or under your control.

Back