• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Warren Mitchell RIP

NYSpur

Andy Gray
Despite his most famous role being that of a West Ham supporter, he was a diehard Spurs fan in real life. I remember him speaking at half-time in what I believe was a cup-tie against Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Slipped effortlessly into character as Alf Garnett and then back to his urbane real voice. He paid tribute to the Saudi Sportswashing Machine fans that day who were fully supporting their outmatched team.

I also have a recollection of him on a talk show railing against the type of Spurs fan that would berate a player non-stop...until they scored at which point they were the greatest!

The world will be poorer...bloody poorer that's a fact......without our Mr Mitchell.

And @NYSpur ...I remember that Saudi Sportswashing Machine game...fa cup think we won 1-0.

He gave a speech at my friends wedding reception. He was the uncle of the bride I think. Seemed a lovely, extremely funny, guy. Remember watching him on the box as a young kid too. His character he was famous for was pretty unique! RIP

Never realized he read Physics at Oxford Uni before giving it up to study at Rada.

A comedy genius . The world is a poorer place without his ilk.

RIP you silly old moo.

Spurs instead of West Ham, Labour instead of Tory. Warren Mitchell really went against type with Alf Garnett. A great actor, but also a tremendous humanist. Loved 'Till Death Us Do part. Part of my childhood. Very sad to hear of his passing RIP.

Surprised they didn't mention his Norn Iron comedy as a Jew. Catholic Jew, or Protestant Jew ? My how I larfed.

I was astounded when I heard the lady newsread on BBC saying he was a life long West Ham fan

It's tasteless to mock the dead like that. The BBC should be ashamed.

His daughter went to my primary school and he often collected her. At that age I found it difficult to understand that he was not the bigot he portrayed on TV.

Last edited:
Back