• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer recap

alekaras

The ITK of IDK
Although there are 3 more weeks left in the transfer window and, although we comment on each individual player on his own thread, I wanted to start one where we can post first impressions on the sum of our latest transfers, knowing full well that it will disintegrate into people moaning and groaning about this or that. :)

Given how off the club has been with the players it has bright in, the main purpose here is to give our opinion of how close to mark we were with our transfer decisions. It is not to comment on whether we should have gotten this or the other player, just to evaluate the ones we got.

IMO, so far this seems to be one of the most solid transfer windows we've had. Nothing spectacular (although we still have time), but every player we have brought in seems to be a very solid addition. It's quite refreshing, especially given our transfer dealings the past couple of summers. Makes me start believing in Mitchell and his methods.

Overall grade: A

After the Yoonited match it sure looks like we've addressed our biggest pain point of last season: the defense.

Toby: great addition and a difference maker. I was worried about him initially, given some comments people made that he was not all he was cranked up to be and that Fonte and Schneiderlin made him look good, but he is proving to be a class CB.

Trippier: not only solid defensively, but he also provides creativity in the attacking third, something that we're sorely missing from Walker. I don't know if he will displace him in the first team, but I sure would love to see more of him.

Wimmer: probably the reason why I didn't give an overall A+. The little I've seen of him he looks good, but will reserve judgment after a few competitive matches.

Alli: great signing with huge upside and the fact that at 19 he is already featuring says everything. My new favorite Spurs player. :)

So it looks like we really did our homework this time and every player seems to be working out. Good job and I hope the delay in getting a striker and a wing forward is because we are applying the same diligence to those positions as well.

Way to early to start judging players - perhaps in October and even then that's still pretty early!

Way to early to start judging players - perhaps in October and even then that's still pretty early!

I agree, however the signing of Toby ( imo) is a very good one and the partnership with Jan has the makings of one of the best around.

Its not like Toby hasn't already proven himself to be one of the top defenders in the league...Same with Trippier, was excellent last season and have really liked the look of him in pre season. Dele Alli is going to be a very good player, I don't care if people say need to give him time before saying that - you can tell when someone has 'it' and he does!

Seems pretty obvious we are going to make at least a couple of signings in the forward 4 positions and if they are of similar standard I will say we have had an excellent window....

Although there are 3 more weeks left in the transfer window and, although we comment on each individual player on his own thread, I wanted to start one where we can post first impressions on the sum of our latest transfers, knowing full well that it will disintegrate into people moaning and groaning about this or that. :)

Given how off the club has been with the players it has bright in, the main purpose here is to give our opinion of how close to mark we were with our transfer decisions. It is not to comment on whether we should have gotten this or the other player, just to evaluate the ones we got.

IMO, so far this seems to be one of the most solid transfer windows we've had. Nothing spectacular (although we still have time), but every player we have brought in seems to be a very solid addition. It's quite refreshing, especially given our transfer dealings the past couple of summers. Makes me start believing in Mitchell and his methods.

Overall grade: A

After the Yoonited match it sure looks like we've addressed our biggest pain point of last season: the defense.

Toby: great addition and a difference maker. I was worried about him initially, given some comments people made that he was not all he was cranked up to be and that Fonte and Schneiderlin made him look good, but he is proving to be a class CB.

Trippier: not only solid defensively, but he also provides creativity in the attacking third, something that we're sorely missing from Walker. I don't know if he will displace him in the first team, but I sure would love to see more of him.

Wimmer: probably the reason why I didn't give an overall A+. The little I've seen of him he looks good, but will reserve judgment after a few competitive matches.

Alli: great signing with huge upside and the fact that at 19 he is already featuring says everything. My new favorite Spurs player. :)

So it looks like we really did our homework this time and every player seems to be working out. Good job and I hope the delay in getting a striker and a wing forward is because we are applying the same diligence to those positions as well.
I think so far we are merely a “C”…. We have added a first choice centre half and improved our cover options at centre half and right back. I think that is the bare minimum really. Signing a first choice defensive midfielder and first choice wing forward would make me revise my opinion to a B. If we also added centre forward cover for Kane then I would probably give us an A.

I think so far we are merely a “C”…. We have added a first choice centre half and improved our cover options at centre half and right back. I think that is the bare minimum really. Signing a first choice defensive midfielder and first choice wing forward would make me revise my opinion to a B. If we also added centre forward cover for Kane then I would probably give us an A.
Agree we haven't addressed all areas, but the point is to rate how good a job we did on the signings we have brought in.

I'm going for a B. Alderweireld is a fantastic signing and improves our first team. Trippier is a good signing that improves our squad and gives us another option. Dele Alli is showing a lot of promise and has enhanced the squad, but it is ealy days. I'm undecided on Wimmer, but that is mainly because I have not seen him play. Does he have pace and how good is he in the air? It is those specific points that I would like to see in a defender (apart from the obvious) given our "high line" and weakness against the long ball that we showed at times last season.

judge them this soon you will end up with a D for all mentioned at one point or another

What we've done is A quality, but overall it has to be a C-, maybe even a D. Last season our weakest area by an absolute stretch was Central Midfield, not looked at, and also in creating chances, not looked at. Add to that heading into the first game of the season with only one striker on the books is borderline amateur.

I'm changing it to an E

So? For a lot of people on this forum that's all it takes to rate someone a complete disaster. :)

Hey, Stambouli was a disaster in my eyes the day he arrived, so don't underestimate people like me. :p

In all seriousness, it is just a month. We don't have the data points to really compare players yet, beyond their role in the squad (filler/backup/first team) and their cost relative to that role. The rest will come over the season.

Yeah, way way way too early to tell how good/bad our transfer window has been. Even by Sept 2nd we probably won't fully know.

In other news I just watched Saudi Sportswashing Machine vs Soton on MOTD2 and when they brought the teams up they had Pelle, Rodriguez and Mane for Soton and I thought hey, not bad, those guys get goals and they brought up Cisse and Wijnaldum for Saudi Sportswashing Machine and said the latter was the best player in the Dutch league last year... sure enough the highlights were all about those guys, goals from those guys, it really isn't rocket science sometimes.

We talk about all the finer details but at the end of the day you see a team lined up, you know who will score, and then they do. It is frustrating that Spurs can't buy Pelle and Cisse but they are too old and injury prone and score too easily I guess. And a player like Wijnaldum is presumably a no-brainer, I've never heard of him, but surely the best player in the Eeredivisie should be bought by Spurs every year, regardless of whether we need him or not? There is no better proof of quality for someone we can afford i.e. we can't buy the best player in Germany or Spain.

Sorry if that sounds off topic but (a) this thread is too early (b) this thread is about transfer policy and I'd like to see Spurs sign the best players from Holland, Austria and the like each year.

might as well rate our transfers now, seeing as we are under a transfer embargo at the moment...:)

I guess I'm guilty of premature.. thread creation. I thought I had overcome it, but it looks like it's back to therapy for me.

Back