• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Townsend and Lamela playing together....viable option?

To me it seems AVB is trying to keep a large squad(maybe to large) happy by keeping them all ticking over.....it seems obvious to me he doesn't know what his best team is........some people have touched on it and im grateful for there thoughts.........so in an attacking sense would this combination work? if not why? and if not what is people's ideas about our best attacking 4 in AVB's 4-2-3-1 formation?

I think our squad is significantly smaller than it has been for a while. It has more quality than it ever has, but we aren't heavy on numbers. In fact, other than RM (Townsend, Lamela, Lennon) and LB (just Rose), we strictly have two players in every position (also writing off Gomes and Ade).

I think we should always have a left-footer on the left, be it at left-back or left wing/forward. At the moment, Rose is injured and Vertonghen will be used at left-back in the league games. Because Vertonghen is at left-back, IMO we need pace in front of him, or we will invite pressure down that flank.

I think AVB recognises this, and it's why he used Lennon against Everton. Townsend could perform that role and, IMO, deserves a place in the side ahead of Lennon right now. I also think Lamela and Townsend would compliment each other, with their different skill sets. It'd be a good balance for our attack.

-----Lamela------eriksen------Townsend
-------------------Soldado

Works for me. Worth gambling on a Lamela start, coz his confidence could snowball and it might be a big turning point for us as a team.

Other than the second half against Everton (to try and bring Lennon into the match), when in his career has Townsend ever played on the left?

He's always been a right-sided player.

He also got caned for the arsenal game where I thought he was very good in the first half.

Yea I remember. he won nearly every ball against Jenkinson. Just remember thinking he was owning him without actually doing that much, like he had so much more to offer. Very tidy player though.

Other than the second half against Everton (to try and bring Lennon into the match), when in his career has Townsend ever played on the left?

Harry Redknapp on Townsend's success at QPR:

http://www.westlondonsport.com/west-london-sport/redknapp-explains-why-towsend-has-turned-a-corner-at-qpr611232

But the 21-year-old has been excellent for Rangers – and Redknapp says the change of position has helped.
QPR manager Harry Redknapp

“Whereas he played out on the left all the time, I’ve stuck him out on the right wing and I think it suits him,” said the R’s boss.

Would Townsend be able to beat his man regularly out on the left? Because it's a lot different trying to beat a full back down his preferred side than it is simply cutting in from the right where the full back is on his weaker foot and often let's you go assuming you are running into trouble and that someone else will pick you up.

He might be just as able to beat his man out on the left and get crosses in (I would like to think so) but if he can't then he could be totally ineffective out there.

I think the bigger picture is that we badly need a LB who is decent going forward and overlapping because with Rose out injured and Naughton so uncomfortable on his left it's always going to have a detrimental effect on whoever is playing in front of them.. Siggy for example looked so eager last night but Naughton would give him the ball then stand still and only ever give him the option to come back, even if Naughton didn't want the ball out wide on his left foot there should have been a case for making the overlapping runs just to create some space for Siggy.

Anyway, back to the opening question.. yes I'd like to see Townsend given a go on the left.. just to see how he fares.

He gets around the outside of full backs and puts crosses in when he plays on the right, no reason why he wouldn't be able to do the same on the left from what I can see. And he's pretty two footed so no reason he won't be able to mix it up still and cut inside with decent frequencies.

I think our squad is significantly smaller than it has been for a while. It has more quality than it ever has, but we aren't heavy on numbers. In fact, other than RM (Townsend, Lamela, Lennon) and LB (just Rose), we strictly have two players in every position (also writing off Gomes and Ade).

Absolutely incorrect.

Townsend would have to cross more than shoot if he went on the left which might help soldado.

Lemons defensive nature might also be needed if Lamela comes in for Holtby.

Absolutely incorrect.

Indeed, I have seen him score a couple of cracking goals playing on the left.

Besides, he is naturally left footed (and two footed) so playing on the left wing should come easily.

I bet there are some Real Madrid fans that probably go around saying Bale plays on the right

Townsend would have to cross more than shoot if he went on the left which might help soldado.

Lemons defensive nature might also be needed if Lamela comes in for Holtby.

Last season Soldado scored 11 goals from crosses from a right footed winger on the right flank and 9 goals from a left footed winger on the left flank and people wonder how come he has not scored many goals from open play, go figure.

Who would you play oppisite Lamela then, atm?

I would play Townsend on the left, providing crosses for our striker who thrives on crosses

What was the point of buying Roberto and not play to his strengths? Anyone who watched him in Spain knows he thrives on crosses, heck go on utube and look at his goals

I would play Townsend on the left, providing crosses for our striker who thrives on crosses

What was the point of buying Roberto and not play to his strengths? Anyone who watched him in Spain knows he thrives on crosses, heck go on utube and look at his goals

i agree with Townsend on the left

He played some Europa league games there in previous seasons, iirc. However, what would it matter? He has the attributes to play there should the team need him to do so. If players had to be fixed to one position despite having the attributes to play elsewhere, then Bale would never have moved from left-back to left-wing to a central (off the striker) role and now on to the right for Madrid.

Townsend could play on the left, that's not even a debate worth having.

Townsend has been far and away our best attacking player this season so far full stop and some people are debating whether he should be playing..... Jesus were hard to please

I want Lamella to come good and be given a chance and AVb will do when he is good and ready. He was excellent against a well organised but ultimately championship level side. He needs games in the prem to help his development but not at the expense of Townsend .

If anyone or any position needs a change it's the number 10 role and maybe that's where he could get his chance

seems like the left side is a bit of a problem position for us......reminds me of England before joe cole came onto the national scene....

Gerrard and others who played on the left for England called it the 'graveyard shift' wonder if that's how some of our squad feel????

seems like the left side is a bit of a problem position for us......reminds me of England before joe cole came onto the national scene....

Gerrard and others who played on the left for England called it the 'graveyard shift' wonder if that's how some of our squad feel????

I think Sig has done well there this season...BUT...as Rose is injured, I don't like the combination of Sig and Naughton (two right-footers on the left makes us unbalanced) or Sig and Vert (two slow players down the flank would invite too much pressure imo).

I actually think our most balanced combination for the left side is Rose and Sig. With Vertonghen there at left-back, it has to be Lennon or Townsend infront of him imo. On current form, I'd go with Townsend.

Back